The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Odd setup question about audio interfaces (connections/ASIO) Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Odd setup question about audio interfaces (connections/ASIO)

So since I started producing I've been using an external SoundBlaster X-fi Xtreme and it's obviously ****.

Also, external SoundBlasters don't support Creative ASIO so I've just been using ASIO4All which I believe is also limiting my entire system

So I'm thinking of buying an actual audio interface; I'm looking at thefocusrite scarlett 8i6

My question is this:
I've been told ASIO4ALL isn't really ASIO, it's more like an emulation of ASIO or something; so when I plug in the 8i6, is the ASIO already on board? Is it inside the 8i6 or do I have to download the software from another place? Would it be included in the drivers for the interface? In my audio settings for FL Studio will the 8i6 simply show up as a choice for Input/Output device?

I'm basically just asking for clarification on ASIO, I just want to make sure I won't still be using ASIO4ALL and will get lower latency/better buffering and all that jazz; I just want to make sure I'll get a significantly better experience using the hardware compared to ASIO4ALL

I guess this isn't really that odd of a question.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Scarlett will come with a driver or control panel install disk which will include the ASIO driver.

Once installed & as long as the card is switched on the driver will show up as Focusrite ASIO or similar in your audio applications exactly as ASIO4All does now.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

alright cool, thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search