The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressors in my price range Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Compressors in my price range

Ok, I either want to buy 2 single units, or a stereo compressor for tracking, mixing, maybe even experimenting with mastering.

I understand how to use a compressor, so far i just use software, so i dont know too much about different types/models. So if you guys could give me some pro's cons or suggestions, that would be great

So for the $1000-ish price range I have been looking at
Black Lion Audio AGB (looks beautiful)
DBX 160 something or other
FMR RNC's or RNLA's (could buy these all day at the price)

$2000-ish price range (used)
api 2500
Universal Audio 2-1176
Empirical Labs EX8 (pair)
Universal Audio la3a dual

I want something to grow into, every time i bought something cheap, i regretted it
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Neve stereo bus processor
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Get two well reguarded FMR PBC-6a's, they blow the lower priced FMR compressors away...and 2 for under $1000
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

The Neve is wayyy outa my price range, although I would love to have one.

FMR PBC-6a looks great. But at $900 for two of the FMR PBC-6a its only $200 more for the BLA comp, which is a neve clone i think. How would they hold against each other?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Have not heard the 2500 but everyone seems to love it!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like you want all around units. I would look at the Art Pro VLA (especially with mods or at least Mullards), API 2500, distressors, Overstayer VCA, Neve 33609.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

The Black Lion Audio is based off my the Neve 33609. Which i am extremely interested in

The art never really interested me, even though it may be good. I have owned some of their products and not cared for them in the past.

I have heard about the overstayer and wondering how it will hold up against the others.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I saw a few BL's on the Bay, I am interested, but are there any reviews posted anywhere?...they have in and out transformers on each channel, i would like to hear how these sound on a post mix or even on some pre compressed vox/guitar ...

the pbc-6a can crush your signal and refine and pin point it for detailed mixing and stacking, it can do alot more than some may realize, it even can create a sound that simuates what one may percieves as iron in the signal path plus it's built in selectable sidechain freqs thats highly effective.... the PBC-6a is designed from the bottom up not copying anyone's previous design....
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Both seem like really nice options.

Anyone else?
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
Both seem like really nice options.

Anyone else?
ART VLA II (for around $300 and then spend another $100-200 on NOS tubes).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search