The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading from ancient MBox 1 + PT 6. Wanna edit MIDI mostly Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Upgrading from ancient MBox 1 + PT 6. Wanna edit MIDI mostly

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on this website. This group is very knowledgeable in the auditory arts, so I figured you can help me.

Well, I have the very first mbox that came out, with pro tools LE 6. This thing has served me incredibly well in the past few years, but it is now a dinosaur.

I'd like to upgrade my system, BUT these days I am more concerned with MIDI than audio (though I will be doing some audio recording - I believe I'll only need 1 or 2 inputs since I won't be recording a lot of audio at the same time).

I have a fantom x6 and MPC 2500 that I'd like to route directly to Pro Tools (as opposed to making the MPC the "master" midi controller). So, I guess my options are:

1. Get a digi rack 003, install a firewire card on my PC and route my keyboard and mpc to the rack? Though, I noticed the digi003 only has 1 midi input - wouldnt I need 2 inputs so that I can plug both devices into PT directly and avoid "chaining" them?

2. Get an mbox 3 (or maybe even 2), install a firewire card (if needed) and also purchase some sort of outboard midi controller that has 4 MIDI inputs? That way I can plug my MIDI stuff directly into Pro Tools and avoid the chain. However - my concern then becomes the midi controller - would that need to be firewire or USB? I feel like if its USB it might slow down the firewired MBox?

Holy hell --- this JUST hit me --- Ill probably need multiple audio inputs so that I can actually HEAR the mpc and fantom while Im playing them...so, only one or 2 inputs may not work...

Yeah, as you can see, I am totally confused. Who will be my auditory Jesus? Thank you for your time, guys!!
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

btw, check out some of the stuff I did on the Mbox 1 and Pro Tools 6

Everyone Please; It's Ches

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search