The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound like McCartney on abbey road album
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sound like McCartney on abbey road album

Hi all !

I would like to know how can I get the abbey road bass sound (listen to I want you). I work with plugin, I don't have a bass

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers !
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Look for a hofner bass sample. Although he play a rickenbacker bass also. Haven't heard the song so not sure which one he used for it.

Sent from my HERO200 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
Look for a hofner bass sample. Although he play a rickenbacker bass also. Haven't heard the song so not sure which one he used for it.

Sent from my HERO200 using Gearslutz.com App
Its a Hofner recorded thru an amp(VOX)? with a woofer
Old 3rd September 2011
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik967 View Post
Hi all !

I would like to know how can I get the abbey road bass sound (listen to I want you). I work with plugin, I don't have a bass

Cheers !

BWAHAHAHA.......sorry........forgive me........I'm not really laughing at you in general.....

First can you play the bass like Sir Paul? This will help......Also, do you have access to the gear at Trident Studios circa 1969? Oh, and Glyn Johns?

I'm not saying it cant be done, but a LOT of people ask questions like this without considering the ramifications involved in such an undertaking.

So you could ask, how can I get a solid, deep, clear bass sound like the one found on "She's So Heavy" by The Beatles? Which, by the way, wasnt recorded at Abbey Road at all.......

edit: BTW, There were only a few tracks on Abbey Road that used a bass amp. Most were DI by this time and ALL that Glyn Johns worked on were DI'd.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't paid that much attention, but if you look at later pictures/videos of the Beatles, you'll see John and George playing bass on a number of tunes while Paul does something else. Most often you see them holding the Fender VI. Also, later Beatles bass work was done with the Rickenbacker 4001 (or whatever the 400x suffix was then), but in terms of amps, could be almost anything. They did use a lot of Vox but by this time they had also bought a pile of Fender gear.

That would be a start.

And then there is the contribution made by the mic, mic technique (which you could probably steal from photos), room effect, mic pre/eq/comp, mixdown effects, and whatever the mastering guy did to the final tape to make it work on vinyl.

From the earliest days the Abbey Road techs messed with Paul's amps, there are stories from them about how awful his rig was when they cut their first tracks and how they had to re-work it to get rid of the buzzing. Since these stories are incomplete, we don't know if they just fixed bad cables or did something more profound and tech-y that contributed to the sound. However, I don't think that it should be that difficult to get a 'close enough for rock and roll' approximation. (I've got a Fender VI and a Vox bass amp, and honestly I prefer the sound of a full sized Fender bass and I miss my Ampeg flip-top.)
Old 3rd September 2011
Deleted User
Most likely a DI . . . and by the sound of the runs toward the end, I would GUESS the Hofner. I hear more than one bass track. I think he threw in a couple of things on another track and he's out of tune (or maybe the guitars are out) in a couple of spots also.
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik967 View Post
Hi all !

Cheers !
I was going to suggest that first you would need to buy a bass, learn to play, emulate, mic/di... but it's seems you don't even need that now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hire George Martin.
Old 3rd September 2011
Read the "recording the Beatles" book...then expect to spend a whole lot of time experimenting.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Glyn Johns on abbey road I don't think so . They went back to george martin for the last hurrah

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
Glyn Johns on abbey road I don't think so . They went back to george martin for the last hurrah

Sorry but you couldnt be more wrong. George Martin PRODUCED, but the tracking was done at Trident , Olympia, and APPLE with a few tracks at Abbey Road. You can certainly tell the difference because the TG solid-state console had been commisioned by then. The APPLE session were on George Harrisons 3M 8trk with 2 older REDD47 4trk consoles they 'borrowed from EMI since Magic Alex's console was a failure.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
Sorry but you couldnt be more wrong. George Martin PRODUCED, but the tracking was done at Trident , Olympia, and APPLE with a few tracks at Abbey Road. You can certainly tell the difference because the TG solid-state console had been commisioned by then. The APPLE session were on George Harrisons 3M 8trk with 2 older REDD47 4trk consoles they 'borrowed from EMI since Magic Alex's console was a failure.
Though they did spend a lot of time at the other studios during the "LIB" fiasco, not true of AR.

Even the couple songs begun at other studios...."I Want You" and "You Never Give Me Your Money".....were completed at Abbey Road (i.e., all of the massive guitars at the end of "I Want You"). Songs like "Something," begun elsewhere, were recut entirely at AR.

All of the rest of Abbey Road was recorded and mixed at Abbey Road mainly by Emerick (though Jarratt, Parsons and even Phil McDonald, fresh from assistant ranks... were all involved).

Hardly "a few songs."

As far as "hearing a difference" your ears are better than mine.

The reason being, the cuts on AR were not only cut in different studios at Abbey Road (Studio 3 did NOT have the new TG console and still had the old REDD) while Studio 2, where other cuts were done, DID have the REDD. Complicating the matter further, most all of the cuts, if not all (I'd have to check, don't recall) were mixed in the EMI mixing rooms, like Room 4, which DID have a REDD mixing console. So even cuts that were done on the solid state TG were often mixed through a tube console.

Our album was done in this exact manner, some cuts tracked in 3, some in 2, and then mixed in RM4 through the REDD. We were recording literally at the same time they were doing AR, using the same engineers.

Bottom line is, the sound is so consistent on our album that I have to really stop and think which cuts were done in the non TG room and which were tracked in Studio 3 where they had the tube console.

TH
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very interesting oceantracks ,you weren't in The Zombies were you?

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nah to late for the zombies... Who was it?

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah to late for the zombies... Who was it?

Nah, no one famous but it was a world of fun anyway...

AEROVONS has the story...

TH
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Damn need flash i'll have a look soon...

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I saw some of your songs (well saw still shots) at Youtube, pretty cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey thanks. I was 17, very much a kid with zero experience. Heck of a place to get your first studio experience though!

Tom
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn need flash i'll have a look soon...

Yeah website is old and needs a refresh but all the estimates are the price of a small car lol

TH
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

No sweat i will have a look when on a PC at least we've derailed this lame misinformed thread! Sorry OP but haway !

Old 5th September 2011
I am a BIG fan of the Aerovons album and highly (and regularly) recommend it to people who are fans of high quality 60s pop. Get it and you'll hear all the sounds from late period Abbey Road Beatles recordings used with other singers and musicians. Great tunes, too.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

What a GREAT experience!!

Tom, that's everything we've ever dreamed of doing!! God bless your Mom for supporting all your youthful desires - she made it all happen. Sorry to hi-jack the thread (I'd like to get the ol' Mac's tone as well), but the Aerovon's story got quite compelling! Thanks, Tom

Now, back to the Mac: I had the impression that Paul used the Ric bass exclusively within the Sgt.Pepper/MMT sessions (distinctive 'spank' within songs like "Getting Better" and "B.Y.A.R.M."), fore or aft I'm not sure (maybe in "Helter Skelter" as well). I've yet to receive my copy of the Beatles Studio Logs book, so I'm not heavily studied in the gear used per song, etc. And before this thread I wasn't aware that any DI was being done prior to perhaps the White Album (was the technology considered before then??). Have read thou that using flat wound strings on a Hofner-esc bass will put you in the zone...is this true? And lastly, I'm so old school that I wouldn't consider emulation via DAW whatsoever. Need bass guitar? Play bass guitar! AND THROUGH A BASS AMP!!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
I saw you have an (that?) album on iTunes, great stuff. Funny to hear how a studio could get you such a true beatlesque sound. But where your music seem to have been influenced by Help and A Hard days night, the Beatles already had moved on as the trendsetters they were by then.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Paint by numbers. The future of audio production. God help us all. heh
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
I am a BIG fan of the Aerovons album and highly (and regularly) recommend it to people who are fans of high quality 60s pop. Get it and you'll hear all the sounds from late period Abbey Road Beatles recordings used with other singers and musicians. Great tunes, too.
That's really kind of you. There are, 40 years later, a lot of embarrassing moments on there for me but in the end you have to just sit back and say, "Hey did the best we knew how at the time, and we were kid." It was an amazing experience, not the least of which was being able to speak with The Beatles and work with the insanely talented engineers at AR. Thanks again.

TH
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
I saw you have an (that?) album on iTunes, great stuff. Funny to hear how a studio could get you such a true beatlesque sound. But where your music seem to have been influenced by Help and A Hard days night, the Beatles already had moved on as the trendsetters they were by then.

It's ironic because as a live band we did all manner of heavier material...but in the studio we just played to our strengths, which we considered was a softer vibe to everything. We were good musicians but were weak in the vocal department when it came to louder material so stayed away from it on the recordings, which at that time undoubtedly hurt us.

TH
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analok View Post
Tom, that's everything we've ever dreamed of doing!! God bless your Mom for supporting all your youthful desires - she made it all happen. Sorry to hi-jack the thread (I'd like to get the ol' Mac's tone as well), but the Aerovon's story got quite compelling! Thanks, Tom

!
She did indeed, thanks...she just refused to be stopped or take no for an answer, even though none of us knew what we were doing.

TH
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, Tom! An absolutely amazing story! I had to buy your album.
I agree with Mr. Post's advice and your choice of going on to college. A very wise move and shows that you were/are both talented AND smart. And I know from experience how important supportive parents are and you were so lucky to have such a wonderful mother.

Now, when is the film coming out?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
Wow, Tom! An absolutely amazing story! I had to buy your album.
I agree with Mr. Post's advice and your choice of going on to college. A very wise move and shows that you were/are both talented AND smart. And I know from experience how important supportive parents are and you were so lucky to have such a wonderful mother.

Now, when is the film coming out?
Thanks Gary...really nice of you, much appreciated . I guess I wasn't as much smart as scared. I knew I could be bashing away at the record business, and new bands, etc, forever, while I watched my friends all graduate from college, and I got scared of life leaving me behind I suppose.

College helped me broaden my musical knowledge and get into arranging and orchestration and led me into decades of doing TV commercials short film projects, and basically anything you can think of to do with producing and composing music for hire, which I still do today.

The biggest reward is getting emails from all over the world from young kids in bands saying "Wow, just got your album, never heard of you guys..." etc etc. Humbling experience. And from posts like yours and the others up here.

Thanks again

Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search