The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
opinions needed on possible set up Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

opinions needed on possible set up

Hey,

did some research on previous threads but still need some honest opinions.

i have 5 synths and a drum machine. Drum machine has 2 outputs, only one synth has stereo outputs so total outputs needed for now at least is 8

want to have the best sounding recording i could possibly have with my situation

my budget allows me to take a few different paths

1) allen & heath zed 14 mixer to get everything plugged into so i can build a track then unplug 2 synths at a time and send them to an apogee duet.

monitors krk vxt 4 (my room is pretty small)

question also is there a way to have my monitors hooked up to the apogee duet and the mixer at the same time? OR would i send the apogee into the mixer to bypass the mixer's pre's and then just mute channels as i record

also if anyone has done this before is the work flow annoying or its worth it?

this option would leave me some money to spend on other stuff like a delay pedal

2) monitors krk vxt 4 + focusrite liquid saffire 56

what i wanna know is how much of a difference between the duet and the focusrite liquid saffire 56 is it a night and day difference or more of a small difference

3)save up and spend every last dollar on an allen & heath zed r16
and prob have no money for monitors maybe squeeze to get krk rockit 6's or something

looking forward to hearing your opinions

thanks
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

bump to avoid pulling my hair out with these questions
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

OK I will help you. I dont think an analog mixer is really necessary, especially if you dont even own some outboard FX already.

Just go with the Focusrite, buy some nice FX plugins and try to audition the monitors you purchase!

Also, try not to get too obsessed about sound quality (GASP!). Nobody buys music for its sound quality - otherwise jazz would be on MTV - and kids dont even own hifi setups anymore. Furthermore, "sound quality" is mostly the result of a good musical arrangement, good sounding musical instruments played well, and professional mixing and mastering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search