The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
translating to other systems
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
translating to other systems

I feel like if I put time and effort into a mix I can get the general balance of levels to translate pretty well for the most part, or at least the important parts can be heard... but I have a harder time getting the tones I'm hearing to come through on other systems. I know part of it is a result of imperfect monitoring, but does anyone have any tips for addressing this issue in the mix?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I feel like if I put time and effort into a mix I can get the general balance of levels to translate pretty well for the most part, or at least the important parts can be heard... but I have a harder time getting the tones I'm hearing to come through on other systems. I know part of it is a result of imperfect monitoring, but does anyone have any tips for addressing this issue in the mix?
No, you understand the crux of the issue... the monitoring system. The trick is that there is no way to account for the thousands of different less than perfect systems out there. You can buy 12 different cheap monitor systems and try to cobble together some mix in between them all that you can't hear but you hope will work; or you can put together the best monitor system within your budget, one that gets you as close to the truth as possible, and know that this is as good as you can get.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
... but I have a harder time getting the tones I'm hearing to come through on other systems. I know part of it is a result of imperfect monitoring, but does anyone have any tips for addressing this issue in the mix?
Look at it like examples of what happens to the mix in those.. many varying likely rather odd (sometimes bizarre) tone' conditions, and how well does it fare -vs other genre refs.
I know interesting things can pop out hearing it with those odd bumps, smiley curves what have you.
Sometimes an interesting exorcize is comparing a commercial ref on the LowFi' and asking why did it survive, mine didn't?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search