The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam 424 MKIII won't go to right ? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Tascam 424 MKIII won't go to right ?

If I mix anything to the right of my tascam 424MKIII, no sound plays, and the meter on the machine doesn't react. If I record in mono, the meter reacts, but still no sound through the headphones. What could be happening ?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Perhaps the right channel of the master buss is not working? If both channels play through speakers then maybe it's a headphone problem. If it's not one of those I would guess it's a routing/signal flow issue.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
Perhaps the right channel of the master buss is not working? If both channels play through speakers then maybe it's a headphone problem. If it's not one of those I would guess it's a routing/signal flow issue.
I haven't hooked it up to speakers, what kind of output are they? I briefly tried a 1/4", but it seemed like it wouldn't fit.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
I don't really know anything about the machine you have, but I looked at the manual and the speaker outputs appear to be RCA. I saw something about having to turn the L/R monitor switches off to get a mono signal on playback, not sure if that has anything to do with your issue or not. Here is the manual, if you can't hook up speakers to test both channels, or even if you can I would read through this:

http://madamebutterface.com/assets/d...I%20Manual.pdf
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't really know anything about the machine you have, but I looked at the manual and the speaker outputs appear to be RCA. I saw something about having to turn the L/R monitor switches off to get a mono signal on playback, not sure if that has anything to do with your issue or not. Here is the manual, if you can't hook up speakers to test both channels, or even if you can I would read through this:

I have tried the mono and L/R switches to no success.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I dont even use my 4track for mixing, just for monitoring and FX, just record to 4 tracks and then bounce them into Ableton

I guess monitor in mono? Not worth it to get fixed...
Old 15th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

I've FINALLY hooked this up to speakers, and still no right. Mixing a track to the hard right is dead silence. And even wearing headphones, no sound comes out of the right side whatsoever.
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear
Did you buy this from someone in this condition? If so then that really sucks dude. I hope it's something you can figure out.

All cassette 4 tracks I used back in the 1980s when they were the only way to do multitrack recording at home were all pretty straight forward for basic use.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Is that a really old (1980s) unit or is it one of the later models still being made valiantly into the mid 1990s or so before they finally gave up on the technology?

Just asking because I'm surprised at the symptom - I can imagine transport problems or noisy faders, but can't imagine an entire channel going out (one side of master fader, or so it seems).

have you tried switching all the switches and faders/knobs over and over in case one or more are really dirty and allowing one side to cut out? Certainly many 1980s analog hardware has that problem with age, and often just using the switches/knobs/faders over and over can at least temporarily solve the problem.

Cheers
Don
Old 15th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
Did you buy this from someone in this condition? If so then that really sucks dude. I hope it's something you can figure out.

All cassette 4 tracks I used back in the 1980s when they were the only way to do multitrack recording at home were all pretty straight forward for basic use.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Is that a really old (1980s) unit or is it one of the later models still being made valiantly into the mid 1990s or so before they finally gave up on the technology?

Just asking because I'm surprised at the symptom - I can imagine transport problems or noisy faders, but can't imagine an entire channel going out (one side of master fader, or so it seems).

have you tried switching all the switches and faders/knobs over and over in case one or more are really dirty and allowing one side to cut out? Certainly many 1980s analog hardware has that problem with age, and often just using the switches/knobs/faders over and over can at least temporarily solve the problem.

Cheers
Don
It has been like this since I bought it, but it was super cheap, so mreh. It is one of the later portastudios.

http://recording.org/home-recording-...4-problem.html
This guy has the same problem, and the last post is trying to explain it but to be honest I'm having trouble figuring out what he's saying.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search