The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kel HM-7U Or CAD E100s Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut
Kel HM-7U Or CAD E100s

$399 versus $402 (this weekend only) so price difference isn't an issue. Anyone compared these 2?
Use is mostly vocals but may use as all around mic and to be in addition to Heil Pr40 I have.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have an American made CAD E100 and E200 and some Chinese CAD mics BIG difference !!

Bill
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

The kel.
Old 3rd September 2011

Depends....

The e100s is a nice, made in the USA, clean quiet mic. It's really made for delicate acoustic instruments. But I'm told it will take a loud 2x12 guitar cab. And, if you happen to be somewhere you can take advantage of it, the noise floor is better than 6dB below other mics known for low noise floors.

The HM-7u is a nice Product of Canada. It follows in the u47 tradition of solo microphones. It has a nice presence and the bottom end doesn't get woofy due to it's transformer-less design. The early ones had an unusually light body and a Blue LED facing the "talent" and sounded good. They are a vocal mic, primarily....

Either way, at the prices they are fetching, you'll get your money's worth.

-tINY

Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the HM7U is an amazing microphone for the price. I own several mics which cost ten times the amount of the HM7U, but I still use the HM7U during almost every session. It's superb for vocals and acoustic guitars. I especially like it when used with a 1073 or Great River preamp. Cuts through the mix extremely well.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut
Thanks for the replies!

It is difficult to know without listening to them. I do understand that KEL gives an evaluation period which is really nice. I did find a better price on the CAD, but still will not let a few bucks influence my decision. A couple of years ago, like a dummy, I sold off all my mics but a Heil PR40 and a 58 and now want to be more choosy about what I purchase versus just "having a bunch of mics".

Edit: Do you think either of these mics (preference) would be good for recording Native American style flute?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the HM7U would be great on that a foot or so out. HM7U gets my vote!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
I think the HM7U would be great on that a foot or so out. HM7U gets my vote!
It looks like, with Kel's guaranteed satisfaction for 30 days that it surely behooves me to try one. I think I will order one Tuesday unless someone convinces me that the CAD, which was/is my original choice, is a better buy. At this point I am wondering if anyone could pick out a recording done by one or the other and actually be able to tell the difference. Probably not.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Depends....

The e100s is a nice, made in the USA, clean quiet mic. It's really made for delicate acoustic instruments. But I'm told it will take a loud 2x12 guitar cab. And, if you happen to be somewhere you can take advantage of it, the noise floor is better than 6dB below other mics known for low noise floors.

The HM-7u is a nice Product of Canada. It follows in the u47 tradition of solo microphones. It has a nice presence and the bottom end doesn't get woofy due to it's transformer-less design. The early ones had an unusually light body and a Blue LED facing the "talent" and sounded good. They are a vocal mic, primarily....

Either way, at the prices they are fetching, you'll get your money's worth.

-tINY

Tiny,
the "E100" was an American made mic and the "e100" was a chinese made mic but I have heard some rumors that CAD was bringing the "E100" back to America to continue production in their ohio facility .. from what I gather there were some quality issues with the Chinese built "e100"

Bill
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I thought the E100s was being made in America for a little while now...as in production has already been moved back?

That being said, man do I love the sound from some of the Kel mics I've heard. A friend stereo mic'd acoustic guitar with the HM-3C....lordy....if they are any indication of the HM-7U, by all means grab it...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
The HM-7u is a nice Product of Canada.
...the HM-7u, while being designed and distributed by a Canadian company is manufactured in China by Shengke/iSK, one of the premier manufacturers in Asia...

...it should be noted that KEL mics are designed by bluegrass aficionado, musician/engineer Kelly Dueck, who wanted to coordinate a line of microphones that would do justice to the natural, earthy, roots tones of bluegrass music (unhyped, but very accurate sounding)...the reason for the HM-7u's original aluminum body with the blue-glow window, was so that the mic could be used for live stage performances, as well as studio tracking...excellent products from a talented gentleman...highly recommended!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJazz View Post
That being said, man do I love the sound from some of the Kel mics I've heard. A friend stereo mic'd acoustic guitar with the HM-3C....lordy....if they are any indication of the HM-7U, by all means grab it...
You can listen to all the Kel mics on their website:

Audio Samples - Kel Audio Microphones

The HM3C sounds incredibly accurate to me, while the HM7U definitely has more thickness to it. But the HM3C is a great microphone as well. By the way, I'm not affiliated with KEL in any way, which some perhaps might think because I'm very positive about their mics in multiple threads. I think it's just amazing value for money. I didn't even know there was a trial period. You won't be disappointed by the HM7U!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The KEL mics are great. I have a HM-2D. I ordered and tried the HM-7U, but it didn't quite suit me. Kelly totally understands not every mic works with every voice and was happy to take the mic back before the 30 day trial was over. Extremely easy to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to order from again.

But I did recently pick up a CAD E100S and love it. Very clear and focused.
Old 3rd September 2011
Sorry, but the E100s gets my vote. CAD brought the manufacturing back to the US and makes the Optema capsules once more for this in house microphone.

I love the sound of the Optema capsule. So real!!!!
I put this mics caspsule toe to toe with the best from Germany and you can take that to the bank!

Now, whether it's the right mic for you, Idk, but the CAD is a sleeper. People just don't understand the mics.

I wish I owned one... :(

... ok, now in a more calm tone. I really encourage the E100S since I do own a pair of American made CAD mics, that I would never sell (E350's) and just am so very pleased with it's performance.

Cheers,
Marcos

Sent from my HTC Dream using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
I love the sound of the Optema capsule. So real!!!!
I can vouch for that. The clarity of the CAD is excellent.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Eventually I want to get an E100s in my locker heh

I don't think I've really ever heard if on vocals, though.
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJazz View Post
Eventually I want to get an E100s in my locker heh

I don't think I've really ever heard if on vocals, though.
Here you all go

Enjoy!
My review of the new CAD E100S condenser mic

With clips and everything!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just to make it a weeeee bit more difficult...

CAD E100S | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Just to make it a weeeee bit more difficult...

CAD E100S | Microphones @ ZenProAudio.com
HA HA; yes, I had already found this and it is very attractive.
I will make decision as to which to get tomorrow. The KEL's policy of 30 days try and you will like it is the policy that I would wish everyone to have. So even if I get the e100s, which was my first choice, I must check out a KEL as well at some point.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's a whole lot of misinformation/misunderstanding going on related to the E100S. Here are some facts to help clear things up:

- The "E100" was originally built entirely in the US.

- Production of the "E100" was moved to China.

- The "E100" changed a bit over time.

- The "E100S" is NOT the same as the "E100"

- The "E100S" is mostly made in the US -- everything but the capsule which is built in China.

- The "E100S" capsule is not an Optema capsule

To sum it up, the "E100S" has nothing to do with the "E100" mic! Also, I vote for getting the E100S -- superb mic, and the current Zen Pro Audio priceing is really super low. I bought my E100S mics, used, for the same price that Warren is selling them now at Zen Pro.

Good luck,

- Jim
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
There's a whole lot of misinformation/misunderstanding going on related to the E100S. Here are some facts to help clear things up:

- The "E100" was originally built entirely in the US.

- Production of the "E100" was moved to China.

- The "E100" changed a bit over time.

- The "E100S" is NOT the same as the "E100"

- The "E100S" is mostly made in the US -- everything but the capsule which is built in China.

- The "E100S" capsule is not an Optema capsule

To sum it up, the "E100S" has nothing to do with the "E100" mic! Also, I vote for getting the E100S -- superb mic, and the current Zen Pro Audio priceing is really super low. I bought my E100S mics, used, for the same price that Warren is selling them now at Zen Pro.

Good luck,

- Jim
Good to know Jim, so they use a chinese capsule. Man, the Chinese are so damn good at this now! Wow. Pitty they won't do the capsules themselves anymore, but it probably just isn't cost effective. I mean almost everybody is using Chinese capsules. Still, it would be nice to have something like the E350 rereleased, for those that don't own one :P

Cheers!
Marcos
Old 6th September 2011
Another for for the CAD, haven't heard the Kel, but I'd love to give one a go.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Good to know Jim, so they use a chinese capsule. Man, the Chinese are so damn good at this now! Wow. Pitty they won't do the capsules themselves anymore, but it probably just isn't cost effective. I mean almost everybody is using Chinese capsules. Still, it would be nice to have something like the E350 rereleased, for those that don't own one :P

Cheers!
Marcos
Just so you know, I'm a big fan of the Optema capsules as well, and wish they would produce them again.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut
I decided to go with the CAD.
But the KEL is on my list for the future.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Cool, let us know what you think!
Old 11th November 2011
Here for the gear

I have a Kel Audio HM 7U that I use for voice-overs and it is an incredible mic. It's extremely quiet, clear, warm and natural. The first time I heard my voice through this mic I almost fell over and it still impresses me every time I use it. The only other mic that has ever impressed me as much is an original Neumann U 47 that I used many years ago in someone else's studio. I'd like to put the Kel along side one now to see how they compare. I have put it up against other Neumann mics like the TLM 103, the TLM 49 and the U 89 and I prefer the Kel hands down.

I have the original HM 7U with the pad, and filter switches and the blue phantom power light on the front and I prefer it that way. I do my own engineering so it's nice to have them all where I can see them and easily switch them on or off. The light is dim enough that I don't notice it while voicing but reminds me to power down after I am done, something that wouldn't be as obvious if the light was on the back of the mic. I understand Kelly moved it so it is visible to the engineers but for me it's perfect on the front of the mic.

Kelly does offer a 30 day money back guarantee too so you really don't have anything to lose by trying one of his mics. I don't think you'll return it though.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

I had both the HM7U and HM2D. I prefered the HM2D on my vocals because it sounded beefier and flatter like an Sm7b.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search