The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AD / DA and Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
  #1
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
AD / DA and Interface

I have $2500.00 to spend on just an interface and an external PRE.. Don't need anything else.

Mainly for male vox and rock / metal guitars.

What do you recommend?
Old 3rd September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
Apogee ensemble for Mac
Old 4th September 2011
  #3
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Apogee ensemble for Mac
Sorry don't have a mac. Been looking at alsorts 2500 is more of a guideline really.

Been looking at.

Mrx816
A&h zed 16
Could stretch to an orpheous, but then I would.have to use the pres on it.. a few people say they don't like them.

I want to go for quality really tho.
Old 4th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

How many channels do you need?
Old 4th September 2011
  #5
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
How many channels do you need?
I tend to only do one track at a time.

I have a Roland TD12 for the drums so I would never really need more than two inputs or two pre's.
Old 7th September 2011
  #6
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
So what do you recon?
Old 8th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Well try something from RME or Echo for solid interfaces on Windows with great conversion.
Old 8th September 2011
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Don't worry too much about conversion and get a great pre first and foremost (If, and only if, you have a great mic already). If not, spend most of that on a tube mic and go from there. Take it from someone who has bought and sold many, many things in search for a good sound for a 1 or 2 person setup. The mic made the biggest difference, followed by pre. The conversion these days is good enough on most interfaces. They may sound different but not better. Just my opinion
Old 8th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

Sound Devices Usbpre2. Fantastic, clean sound. Portability could be a bonus too.

That might be all you need but if you want to experiment with colour, build a rack of assorted SCA pres. You can also buy them ready built eg $1,800 for their A12, N72 and J99, and five free slots to fill up as and when you need them (save about $500 if you DIY).
Old 8th September 2011
  #10
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
Don't worry too much about conversion and get a great pre first and foremost (If, and only if, you have a great mic already). If not, spend most of that on a tube mic and go from there. Take it from someone who has bought and sold many, many things in search for a good sound for a 1 or 2 person setup. The mic made the biggest difference, followed by pre. The conversion these days is good enough on most interfaces. They may sound different but not better. Just my opinion
Yeah good advice I have an SM7B at the mo as I do alot of metal for myself and other bands..
Old 8th September 2011
  #11
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Sound Devices Usbpre2. Fantastic, clean sound. Portability could be a bonus too.

That might be all you need but if you want to experiment with colour, build a rack of assorted SCA pres. You can also buy them ready built eg $1,800 for their A12, N72 and J99, and five free slots to fill up as and when you need them (save about $500 if you DIY).
I had a look at the usbPre2 on paper looks very attractive, I looked at another post with you on it actually Seems to be a few driver issues and another guy says pre's are only as good as A&H whilst they are good pre's don't get me wrong they didn't shatter my skull like the API's did etc..
60db with an Sm7 seems a little tight as it is a hungry bugger.

On the API side Just can't think why I would by a lunchbox for one pre though.. I might as well not buy one and get a better pre...
Old 8th September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

If you don't need a lot of channels, a good interface like the Usbpre2, Apogee Duet, or RME Babyface don't eat too much out the budget. They're all very good.

The idea of SCA is simply bang for buck. You shouldn't have any problem getting a good pre for $1,800 or so, but with SCA you can get three, each a different flavour (plus the pres on your interface). That lets you experiment a bit in the studio to find just the right sound.
Old 8th September 2011
  #13
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
If you don't need a lot of channels, a good interface like the Usbpre2, Apogee Duet, or RME Babyface don't eat too much out the budget. They're all very good.

The idea of SCA is simply bang for buck. You shouldn't have any problem getting a good pre for $1,800 or so, but with SCA you can get three, each a different flavour (plus the pres on your interface). That lets you experiment a bit in the studio to find just the right sound.
I'll defo look into the SCA what's up with the steinberg?
Old 9th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

That could be a good choice too. Any decent interface with good ADDA should leave you plenty change for a boutique pre. There are also PCI cards like the RME HDSPe AIO.

Are you sure you've got some great mics?
Old 9th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Well try something from RME or Echo for solid interfaces on Windows with great conversion.
I would consider the MR816 to have higher quality conversion than the RME FF800 or any of the Echo devices I have heard.

Also, the pre amps sound great on the MR816. Plenty of headroom with a slightly smooth detailed character. I was impressed considering they are interface pres. I think it is a bargain for what it is now and would leave you with plenty of money, to buy a high end pre amp on top. Check other threads on the Gearslutz. MR816 has alot of love for it's sound quality. Exactly the same A/D D/A and pre amps as the far more expensive Yamaha N12 (as confirmed by Steinberg in a video for the MR816 when it was released, after Yamaha acquired Steinberg)
Old 9th September 2011
  #16
Gear Addict
 
Pies's Avatar
I would take into account a pre can only sounds as good as the conversion its going through!

I would start with a converter, RME stuff is pretty clean and maybe a couple of ISA ones then you could have 2 mic pre's and 2 DI inputs. There are hundreds of combinations out there, it depends what you are looking for
Old 9th September 2011
  #17
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
That could be a good choice too. Any decent interface with good ADDA should leave you plenty change for a boutique pre. There are also PCI cards like the RME HDSPe AIO.

Are you sure you've got some great mics?

What's up with the SM7b?
Old 9th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

Ah OK I missed that. That'll do fine if you've tried it and it fits your voice
Old 9th September 2011
  #19
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Ah OK I missed that. That'll do fine if you've tried it and it fits your voice
It does the job
Old 9th September 2011
  #20
Deleted 6ccb844
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies View Post
I would take into account a pre can only sounds as good as the conversion its going through!

I would start with a converter, RME stuff is pretty clean and maybe a couple of ISA ones then you could have 2 mic pre's and 2 DI inputs. There are hundreds of combinations out there, it depends what you are looking for
Probably the kick you in the balls api sound really.. Common thing seems to be SM7B api.. Works for most of my favourite bands like Scar symmetry / solution .45 etc.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump