The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet 2 vs Focusrite Scarlette and GAP PRE73 Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Apogee Duet 2 vs Focusrite Scarlette and GAP PRE73

Hey guys,

I don't normally start threads with questions like this, but I couldn't really find a comparison.

I'm tossing up between 2 options to upgrade to.

I mainly record vocals through an SM7B, male rap/RnB/pop, but from time to time electric guitar which I usually DI.

At the moment I'm running it straight into a Focusrite Saffire 6. I also have some synths, so I'm forever plugging and unplugging things in and out as I need them. I have a small mixer but it degrades the sound too much.

I'm about to upgrade, and my options are as follows:

A. Buy an Apoggee Duet 2. I hear people rave about the pres/conversion. Obviously I don't get any more inputs than I have though.

B. Buy a Focusrite Scarlette 18i6 and a GAP PRE73

C. Just buy the Scarlette - the GAP PRE73 won't make a significant difference

C. Just buy the GAP PRE73 and bypass the current Focusrite Saffires pres. Save the cash for some other gear.

I can probably work out the merits of not having the extra inputs myself, plus the future outlook re: need to upgrade, but I guess keep them in mind when answering my main questions are:

Which will sound better with an SM7 on vox, a., b. or c.?

If you feel the Apogee would be better, in your opinion would the difference be significant enough to outweigh the fact that it's a little less convenient re: no. of I/O.

Are the Duet Pres leagues above the Focusrite's? Enough to justify the lack of inputs?

Would there be any significance difference in recording quality between running the GAP PRE73 into a Focusrite, vs into a Firebox. (I know this is out of left field, this just addresses a question from a friend).

Any other options around the same price that I haven't mentioned?

My main concern here is the quality of the recording, I am happy to forgo convenience if my recorded product is better.

FWIW I have a semi treated room (4 bass traps and 12 reflection panels) and monitor with Dynaudio BM5As.

Sorry that there is so much to ask, I really appreciate anyone who takes the time out to read this and give their opinions.

If admins think this is better off in low end, I appologise, feel free to move it.

Cheers all,
R.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Nut

I am also very curious on how the Pre's of the Duet 2 compare with the GAP Pre 73's...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search