The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Trio with Mbox Mini.. Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Recording Trio with Mbox Mini..

Hi All,

I have finally taken the plunge and joined GS after months of great reading on these forums!!

Our litte trio is vocals, acoustic/electric guitar and electronic drums (just a TD3). We do a lot of laid back latin bossa/samba stuff and surprisingly the TD3 holds up quite well when not trying to sound like a full kit.

ANYWAY.. my question is, how am I best to record a demo of the trio with my mbox mini? In rehearsal, the singer usually shares my PA (drums) and the guitarist brings his own amp with effects, so I can see two options.

1. Easiest - 1 mic (or stereo pair) in a good spot in the room
2. Vocals recorded on channel 1, and guitar & TD3 mixed on an external mixer and sent to channel 2 on the mbox. I guess this would be a direct out of the TD3 and probably a mic on his amp to pick up his effects...but I could play with this as the mixer has 4 pres and heaps of stereo options..

Are there any other solutions we could try that don't involve tracking seperately, or alternative setups to option 2?

Thanks all!

PS - I have some rather basic CAD mics and the usual 57/58s but I am confident with mic selection so just setup tips would be great!
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

So I tried the one mic method, and that was OK, but we still aren't getting the full sound of our singer, so I think next session she can have the LDC on channel 1, and I will do a mix of the guitarist and TD3 on a desk into channel 2..
Cheap ass demo recording methods.. gotta love em!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you have midi in/out on both m-box and drum kit I'd do this,

1. Vocals
2. Guitar
Midi out of drums into m-box

Then once everything is tracked

Midi out of m-box into drums

And use chan 1&2 audio on the m-box to record the drum audio back in stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search