The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal mic for room with window unit AC? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Vocal mic for room with window unit AC?

Lets just say I have to... Right now I'm using a transformerless sm57 and turning off the ac but it gets hot like an attic in no time.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

There is no answer for you. You either turn off the AC or you don't. If something like the 57 picks it up, what would do better? There are other pickup patterns, but in any small room the noise will be bouncing around everywhere.
Old 2nd September 2011

I've never mic'd an AC unit before.... I imagine that a colored dynamic would be good - if the mic and the unit are a match.

-tINY

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I have the same thing.

I just turn off the AC, there's really no other way.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

As long as the unit doesn't do a whole lot of power cycling why not try record the ambient room with the mic in the same position as it is when you record and flip the polairty and adjust it til it becomes more subtle?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Easily fixed by building a small baffle that will go around the entire A/C unit. The baffle will control the air flow of your unit and give you VERY low noise.

Buy yourself some insulated sheeting from somewhere like LOWES that has at least a 1/2" thickness to it.

The most important parts of the design are to make sure that the "inlet" of the baffle (where your a/c unit pumps out the air) is at least HALF the size of the "outlet" (where your air will be coming out into your room). The difference in the size increasing and the addition of directional flow changes within the baffle will significantly reduce any noise issues you have and will allow you to never have to turn off the a/c unit while recording again

Problem? Solved
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ac baffle design.pdf (201.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
Easily fixed by building a small baffle that will go around the entire A/C unit.

Problem? Solved
what do you do about the window and the wall, both of which are vibrating?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
what do you do about the window and the wall, both of which are vibrating?
Well that's opening a whole can of worms that the OP didn't mention was an issue, I take it in your situation it is?

I'm guessing the vibrations are being picked up by your mic?

If so, I would suggest building a small "box" around your window unit, make the box walls consist of some exterior padding (obviously want to use waterproof padding), along with interior padding that doesn't have to be waterproof.

That's the "cheapest" solution that you could do in a weekend (hey it is LABOR Day weekend ) without doing what would be necessary to achieve a "pro" solution..... which would be to take out the window unit and window, close the walls framing in and run a/c ductwork into the rooms (still using the baffles that I posted earlier)
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I've had much luck recording vocals with a Shure SM7B in a small setting with a room A/C running. That, in combination with some creative isolation by way of a few inexpensive panels (or get yourself a couple of packing blankets from your neighborhood U-Haul), virtually eliminates room noise.
Attached Images
Vocal mic for room with window unit AC?-shure-sm7b-vocal-microphone.jpg 
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a window unit and use on voclas the Shure sm7b running through a DBX 1066 compressor/noise gate and I cannot hear any AC on vocals, when recording acoustic guitar, i will turn the AC off and record....
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Here in Florida you simply run the air conditioner really hard for a couple of hours, get the room as cold as you can then turn it off and record.

If your room is getting instantly hot you need to plug the holes in the walls and windows!
(Close the drapes too... sun heats the room up and the drapes will dull any window reflections.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
Easily fixed by building a small baffle that will go around the entire A/C unit. The baffle will control the air flow of your unit and give you VERY low noise.

Buy yourself some insulated sheeting from somewhere like LOWES that has at least a 1/2" thickness to it.

The most important parts of the design are to make sure that the "inlet" of the baffle (where your a/c unit pumps out the air) is at least HALF the size of the "outlet" (where your air will be coming out into your room). The difference in the size increasing and the addition of directional flow changes within the baffle will significantly reduce any noise issues you have and will allow you to never have to turn off the a/c unit while recording again

Problem? Solved
Wow I hadn't thought of anything like that but thank you so much... I'm gonna go ahead and try this out. I really appreciate it!

And as far as a sm7b.. I was thinking of upgrading to that....

Thank you all so much guys.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Idk a whole lot but maybe mic like normal and mic the ac unit, then flip the polarity on the ac unit... Just a thought
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Shock mount and an iso pannel would be the first thing I'd do. Then maybe some foam around the unit and/or a blanket on the window. Also, if it gets that hot so quick, maybe you should invest in some insulation for your house. just sayin'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search