The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best small monitors for under $1500 Studio Monitors
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Best small monitors for under $1500

I am setting up a studio in a 6m sq. room and need some new monitors.
I am moving from a bigger room with Quested 2108s, so am used to good quality sounds and plenty of bass. I wanna retain that as much as possible, though I realise it will not be the same.
Space is an issue in such a tight room. I can't have the monitors too deep, or I will be sitting right on em, but nor do I need massive volume levels, as it is a home set up.

Budget is around £1000/ $1500.

Here is my shortlist. Would appreciate any opinions on these or anything else I should be looking at.

Genelec 8030a
Genelec 8040a
Dynaudio BM6a
Focal CMS50
Focal CMS65
Mackie HR624
KRK VXT6
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Neumann KH 120
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Going from your Quested you need to test the monitors before deciding. Don't get on hearsay and some forum suggestions, test them out your self and make your own conclusions.
Old 1st September 2011
I am happy with my focal CMS 65 my mixes translate perfectly to all other systems, the stereo image is incredible, and I can hear the reverbs and delays in such amazing detail. The bass on those guys is just enough for my room, they are not fatiguing at all.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Yep, Neumann kh 120. I bought them without hearing them first, basing my decision purely on hearsay and forum suggestions heh. Amazing monitors - fantastic detail and very neutral.

Gen 8040a are excellent as well - similar to the kh 120s, at least to my ears.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Never even knew about the Neumanns. One for the list - thanks.

I don't live in a big city, so real tough to get to a shop that has a load in to shootout, but I hear ya Jomox!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, I was in the same boat. Just make sure they got a good return policy. So if you get a set and not 100% happy with them you can make a nice trade.

Allot of shops let you loan some for testing also (With delivery to you)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

KRK VXT6. As I already said on facebook, I love my VXT6s! Well balanced, really precise, awesome sound!

I think it's the best bang for your pocket.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

neuman kh 120
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
why not the adam A7x? they normally get lots of love on here and are great sounding speakers
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

How do you guys cope with the fact that the Neumanns or the Genelec only play above 50Hz? Isnt that a problem?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
How do you guys cope with the fact that the Neumanns or the Genelec only play above 50Hz? Isnt that a problem?
Well, Id imagine that unless you have a sub, no monitor can reproduce below that range accurately enough anyways.

for the OP,
is your new room treated? Coz IMHO spending anywhere near $1500 on a pair of monitors in an untreated room is like getting a really rare, beautiful and expensive painting and looking at it through sunglasses.

Do you really need to spend that much?
Anyways, I +1 on focal CMS65s. If I had the cash I would get them.
Old 1st September 2011
Neumann KH120a. Ordered a pair today. Got them for far less than normal retail. Cannot wait.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Neumann KH120a. Ordered a pair today. Got them for far less than normal retail. Cannot wait.
Nice! Let us know what you think. I was blown away with how fantastic they sounded. Regarding the bass, they go surprisingly low - I won't lie and say they'll give you the chest thumping experience of a micromain27 - but they do provide enough info to make informed choices when mixing. I guess I would say I don't find myself needing more bass or a sub.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
Yep, Neumann kh 120. I bought them without hearing them first, basing my decision purely on hearsay and forum suggestions heh. Amazing monitors - fantastic detail and very neutral.

Gen 8040a are excellent as well - similar to the kh 120s, at least to my ears.
Same thing here! I did lots of reading and I emailed few guys who owned them. After I made my order I was very nervous as few guys here were complaining about the humming and how fatiguing they are which it tuned out to be false. Now for all of you guys who recommended the CMS 65 to me thank you so much.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Even high end speakers of this size are only going down to 40Hz at most. Sub is ideal for sure, but not essential to get good bass in the mix.

Some guy on Pensado's Place was saying how he mixes bass on NS10s and just waits for the cone to start rattling and then that's how he knows he's got enough!heh

I am treating the room. Got a bunch of bass traps, absorbers and diffusers.

Satissounds - lemme knw where you got em from please, incase I go for these. I am UK based too.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
Even high end speakers of this size are only going down to 40Hz at most. Sub is ideal for sure, but not essential to get good bass in the mix.

Some guy on Pensado's Place was saying how he mixes bass on NS10s and just waits for the cone to start rattling and then that's how he knows he's got enough!heh

I am treating the room. Got a bunch of bass traps, absorbers and diffusers.

Satissounds - lemme knw where you got em from please, incase I go for these. I am UK based too.
In the "Olde Skool Daze" we put tissue paper over the tops of the NS-10's and when they blew the paper up we knew how much bass they were reproducing. You CERTAINLY couldnt tell by listening to them!

You'll LOVE the Neumanns. Focals are great as are both pairs of the Genelecs. KRK's are not in the same league though they are very good.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Check out the Pelonis model 42, $999, great speakers!!!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
Would also like to know.
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Would also like to know.
They are B-Stock but am told their in mint condition. Only used once to demo to a client and never left the showroom. Got them for £850 with delivery. Ofcourse they still are under the manufactories guarantee so i went for them. Should be arriving early next week.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

if the room is LITERALLY "squared" as in all walls distances are equal..... you might want to either extend or close in one or two of those distances.

If not, the room modes you'll be hearing are going to screw ANY monitors that you may buy into sounding wrong IMVHO
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
why not the adam A7x? they normally get lots of love on here and are great sounding speakers
And for that matter, why not the original A7s with a sub? Most places are blowing out the original A7s and you could get a used Sub-8 to go along with that.

I have this 2.1 setup in my 8 x 12 room and it sounds great. I also have the Dynaudio BM5As as a second set of monitors for 'mastering' purposes and they sound great as well (no sub).
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Event TR6
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

+1 on the BM6 monitors. Only thing to beat them in my chain was a set of PMC monitors.
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
+1 on the BM6 monitors. Only thing to beat them in my chain was a set of PMC monitors.
Have you had a chance to mix and or master a track on the Focal CMS 65? Not just listening to them in the store.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_ending View Post
if the room is LITERALLY "squared" as in all walls distances are equal..... you might want to either extend or close in one or two of those distances.

If not, the room modes you'll be hearing are going to screw ANY monitors that you may buy into sounding wrong IMVHO
+1 on this. a square room is the worst kind. i'd consider some room treatment if you haven't already. good monitors mean nothing if you've got a room that's not treated properly.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I tried a pair of Focals and loved the sound of them but had issues. They also had quite a bit of port chuffing with certain frequencies. This was mainly due to me expecting them to cope with more than what they're designed for!
I now have some Acoustic Energy AE22's which I love and find them simply brilliant for mixing on.

I preferred both the AE22's and focals to the Dynaudio DM6a's and original Adam A7's.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quested S6?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
They are B-Stock but am told their in mint condition. Only used once to demo to a client and never left the showroom. Got them for £850 with delivery. Ofcourse they still are under the manufactories guarantee so i went for them. Should be arriving early next week.
Thanks. It crossed my mind about b-stock.

You couldn't ask for better than that really.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Certainly seems like a range of preferences. If anything tho I guess it shows the strength in depth of monitors at this size and price range.

The room is not a perfect square. I will be treating all walls with absorption and diffusions, the ceiling the same and bass trap in the corners. I have no other option but this room, so I gotta make it work!

Quested S6 are tempting, but seem to have less bass than others. Though I LOVE my bigger Quested. Gonna be hard to let them go!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search