The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best small monitors for under $1500 Studio Monitors
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

In case you havent chosen heres another curve ball for small room monitoring....

Genelec 6010A with a 5040A sub. Until you actually hear them you're gonna think' what a toy....'
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
In case you havent chosen heres another curve ball for small room monitoring....

Genelec 6010A with a 5040A sub. Until you actually hear them you're gonna think' what a toy....'
whooah just dodging that ball! Nice idea man. Will try audition em.

Still waiting on my local store to get the Neumann's in, so yet to buy....
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

1st - Focal CMS65

If not, take a look at Quested S7R's or Adam A7x.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

to confuse you even more, I'm gonna say check out a pair of NHT M20's with an S20 sub.
I was in the same boat as you...the Mackie, Genelec's, Adam's and KRK's under 2k all got trounced in my room, as well as a good friend of mine.
I couldn't be happier.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

To the CMS65 owners, have you used them with Auralex MoPads, and if so, is it an improvement over the rubber pads that came with the monitors?
Old 11th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon View Post
To the CMS65 owners, have you used them with Auralex MoPads, and if so, is it an improvement over the rubber pads that came with the monitors?

I do have mine on SMS-6000 Monitor Stand.

Old 1st November 2011
Gear Head

Ok, so I went for the Neumann KH120s in the end.

Just got em running this evening in the studio. Very happy. Against my Quested 2108 they do lack the transparent details and are a touch more flattering.

The range of EQ switches is good to tune my room and the bass is awesome. I've actually had to knock it down by 2.5db!

Gradually installing my acoustic treatment this week, so should only get better.

Thanks again for all the advice, especially the tip of about these Neumanns, as I did not even know they existed before they were mentioned.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Excellent!
Old 2nd November 2011
Well done. I love my KH 120's.
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
1st - Focal CMS65

If not, take a look at Quested S7R's or Adam A7x.
All great options. Taste wise, for myself -- I actually prefer the CMS50 to the CMS65, but they are different speakers when the rubber meets the road. I would want bigger speakers with the CMS50's too. The Quested SR7's are outstanding speakers, in my experience...Dig the Adam's, everything translates great with them, but I do prefer the CMS50's to those, and the Quested SR7's are a bit more comparable to something like the Solo 6BE. They are pushing the envelope on that aforementioned league....
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Head

Quested, Focal and now these Neumanns really do seem to be pushing what is possible on near fields for sure.

Now, the tricky part - treating the room!
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
Quested, Focal and now these Neumanns really do seem to be pushing what is possible on near fields for sure.

Now, the tricky part - treating the room!
Tell us more about the KH120.
Old 3rd December 2011
Here for the gear

can anyone recommend the smallest pair of reference speakers for mobile studio?

I am using sennheiser 800HD headphones so I pretty much need the smallest speakers I can carry in my luggage as in I will be traveling every couple of months. Any suggestions would be gr8*

thnks

D
Old 7th December 2011
Gear Head

Jose - The KH120s sounds much bigger than it's size would suggest. Not as neutral as Quested, but not as flattering as Genelecs. Bass is big and you'll likely have to roll it off.

For me they shine due to a comprehensive EQ section on the rear, that is tailored for people like me, with less than ideal rooms. I guess the idea is you get the room as good as you can with the Neumanns all EQ level and then tweak the speakers to taste.

dkamm - check the whole of this thread. Some really good suggestions all round. Size, particularly depth was an issue for me which is one reason why the KH120s got my vote, plus they make a custom bag for em!
Old 9th December 2011
Here for the gear

Some 1 mentioned genelec 6010a pair and 5040sub? i have those 1s and ,maan they have been good but now when i moved to bigger controll room i upgraded them to focalcms65 cant wait them to arrive after reading so much good about them, but in your room i think u would get a great and realistic sound from genelecs and the sub.
Old 11th December 2011
Prodipe Pro 8 or 5 Ribbon
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Nobody has mentioned you can pick up a pair of ATC SCM10s + an amp for that price? I love my A7s, and have been really impressed with a lot of the other options around this price but the SCM10 + a decent amp is really quite an impressive combo...
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear

I window shopped for awhile today at my local crack(music) store

ADAM A7X - wow these sound nice and to my ears smooth, for the price kind of hard to beat it surprised me how close they came to the Dynaudio BM6A when you pushed the levels. The ADAM A7X is more refined to my ear and better balanced where the BM6A is more of an in your face kind of sound

Dynaudio BM6A - Very very nice I liked these a lot and really like the bass I got when I went to my Skinny Puppy "Rodent' and Acid Bath 'Into The Blue' as reference songs - but their sound could be a little more fatiguing than the others

KH120 - I really like the 'polish' these speakers seem to have , they have a refined kind of effortless sound to them but they changed the sound of a guitar too much *gasp* with their mid response.....why would you ever want a monitor that makes guitars sound.....quieter

Focal Twin - wowie zowie - I blasted 'You're Probably Wondering Why Im Here" and people were looking at me strange mmmmmpppp beautiful stereo imaging with very distinct low mid hi separation ear heaven
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm reading Mike Senior's excellent book: Mixing Secrets For the Small Studio. In it, he talks about the importance of judging monitors based on spectral decay.

He says that with ported monitors, there is a very high likely-hood of "time-smearing artifacts." Spectral decay is a measure (across the frequency spectrum) of the length it takes for a tone to resonate through a monitor.

His graphs of the Auratone 5C and NS10s have almost no spectral decay. These graphs are truly eye-opening if you consider that this measure (spectral decay) may be the very reason these monitors are so widely revered, and have produced so many great albums.

In my humble opinion, it's time we start looking at spectral decay as a measure of the performance of monitors, not only the flatness of the frequency curve. Mike makes a great point that monitor manufacturers will happily provide a 2-dimensional plot of frequency response, but leave you in the dark regarding decay (across the frequency spectrum). This has obvious consequences for your ability to hear timing, delays, reverbs, etc.

Mike, who has written for Sound on Sound, gently suggests Acoustic Energy, NHT, and Blue Sky brands to check out for the cash conscious mixer. Thoughts?
Old 14th December 2011
Here for the gear

Spectral Decay is a very interesting phenomenon, I know little about it other than understanding the concept: the length of time it takes for particular frequencies to dissipate in a cabinet will determine the ones we hear last. Psychoacoustically, this creates a sense of predominance of those frequencies. The Neumann KH120s come with a spectral decay plot.
Old 14th December 2011
Here for the gear

Im a Sucker for some vxt6's , but in my eyes focal are good too ;D
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger View Post
Neumann KH 120
definetly...i searched for months for exactly what you want..it i think its the best choice to go for the kh120's....awesome little monitors!
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy View Post
definetly...i searched for months for exactly what you want..it i think its the best choice to go for the kh120's....awesome little monitors!
The best choice is very personal, there's a big list of monitors all have their own advantages and you should not limit your self to just one choice.

Nuemann 120a
Adam A7X / A8X
Dynaudio BM6
Focal CMS65
Mackie HR824 MKII
KRK VXT8
(Below lack low end compared to above)
Acoustic Energy AE22
Focal CMS50

Of course if you can spend bit more than the quality get's even better. (Such as Event Opal, Adam S1X/S2X etc)
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
The best choice is very personal, there's a big list of monitors all have their own advantages and you should not limit your self to just one choice.

Nuemann 120a
Adam A7X / A8X
Dynaudio BM6
Focal CMS65
Mackie HR824 MKII
KRK VXT8
Acoustic Energy AE22
Focal CMS50

Of course if you can spend bit more than the quality get's even better. (Such as Event Opal, Adam S1X/S2X etc)
I'm ready to make a move on another pair and it's between the Focals, or the 120's. I only have the NS10's and I'm not pro-ish enough yet, will take time to learn them. I just don't hear the detail reverb tails on the NS10's so I'll need another set of monitors. My room was treated well by the design team from Auralex and theirs nothing wrong with my NS10's in the high's, it just doesn't give me details I was used to with my Event AS8's.
Old 19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Nice choice Rollover, I picked the K120 as well (over the a7x and cms65)
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
I am using the CMS 65 for mastering, they are great.

Focal Professional - CMS 65 - User review - Gearslutz.com

Razik's Mastering
WOW razik I dig love is on fire, so deep and open sounding, now your making it hard to go with the kh-120s (LOOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGherkins View Post
Nice choice Rollover, I picked the K120 as well (over the a7x and cms65)
RonGherkins how you liking the 120's?
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post

Nuemann 120a
Adam A7X / A8X
Dynaudio BM6
Focal CMS65
Mackie HR824 MKII
KRK VXT8
Acoustic Energy AE22
Focal CMS50

Really solid advice and a good list. Best thing you could do (that sadly I could not so had to buy blind/deaf) is get your local store to line as many up as possible and play your have tunes through them and go with your gut instinct. If possible try get your two faves in your room, as once out of the shop they will sound very different in your own treated space.

I know specs ain't everything, but below is a list I drew up when deciding, which I hope maybe useful. It does not have everything, but the main issues for me were price, physical size, freq response and power, so I listed those.
Prices might be old now (bought about 2months ago) or different for peeps in the US.

Genelec 8030a - £768 - h299 x w189 x d178 mm - 40w tweeter, 40w woofer - 58hz - 20khz

Genelec 8040a - £1200 - h365 x w237 x d223 mm - 90w tweeter, 90w woofer - 48hz - 20khz

Dynaudio BM6a - £1210 - h335 x w203 x d327 - 50w tweeter, 100w woofer - 40hz -21khz

Focal CMS50- £760 - h299x w190 x d201 - 50w tweeter, 80w woofer - 55hz -28khz

Focal CMS65- £1100 - h370x w241 x d231 - 60w tweeter, 100w woofer - 45hz -28khz

Mackie HR624 - £700 - h333x w219 x d319 - 40w tweeter, 100w woofer - 45hz -22khz

KRK VXT6 - £680 - h368 w263 d246 - 30w tweeter, 60w woofer - 60hz - 24khz

Neumann KH120A - £1100 - h277 x w182 x d220 - 50w tweeter, 50w woofer - 52hz-21khz

Adams A7x - £866 - h337 x w201 x d280 - 50w tweeter, 100w woofer - 42hz-50khz
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

I was talking to someone at DV recently about the SE The Egg, he said they made the monitors they compared to sound like hifi speakers. £1,600 though!!! I haven't heard them yet but i think they will be my next pair. I would definitely add them to the short list anyway. heh
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

What's bumming me out is that I went to 2 Guitar centers near me and they don't have the KH 120's, but they can order them. I need to be able to here those next to others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search