The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best small monitors for under $1500 Studio Monitors
Old 10th September 2011
I really like my A7's. my mixes really translate well with them. my buddy has a pair as well & likes 'em very much. of course you will probably want a sub too.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
I love quested but maybe a change is good for a while. Had the 2108s for about 10 years now. Hope I can 'learn' my new speakers and room quickly, so I don't miss em too much!

Tough to audition Focals where I live, without a 600mile round trip to London,
but my local shop can get in some of the others.
So gonna do a shootout in a few weeks of Neumann KH120, Adam A7x, Genelec 8030 and 8040, Mackie 624. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts in due course.
Don't judge the KH120's by their size, they are like master Yoda..

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I love quested but maybe a change is good for a while. Had the 2108s for about 10 years now. Hope I can 'learn' my new speakers and room quickly, so I don't miss em too much!

Tough to audition Focals where I live, without a 600mile round trip to London,
but my local shop can get in some of the others.
So gonna do a shootout in a few weeks of Neumann KH120, Adam A7x, Genelec 8030 and 8040, Mackie 624. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts in due course.

I think the KH120 & A7X may stand out as the better ones for you personally out of them, but others could throw up a surprise. I think the 624 may lack some low end and you would be better of testing the 824 MK2's , I've heard they are a better overall monitor then the 624's also. ( I was considering both and got feedback of an engineer from an audio store)
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

don't sway me with the master yoda comparison - I am now convinced the neumanns have the force and can get me mixing like Pensado!

Although there have been a few curve balls, it is seeming to boil down to a few main contenders. I'd love to try the less well known options peeps have mentioned, but it's not easy to audition em all in the UK.

CMS65, A7x and KH120 seem like all good options, but doubt I'm gonna be able to trial the Focals....
Old 11th September 2011
Are you planing on treating you room in the future? My room is about the same size as yours but well treated which really helps. My mixes translate perfectly to other systems and now I can focus on my next gear and making music.
Sorry you can't audition the focal, but please report back and let us know how you like your new monitors. I am sure many guys will be asking the same questions in the future.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's a curveball for ya: sE Electronics Egg Studio Monitors at Gear4Music.comheh

They're £1,500 but check this video out. WNAMM11: SE Electronics Announce New Speakers, Munro Egg speaker design (Video) -Sonicstate.com

No smearing or resonance? I'd put those on my shortlist!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
Are you planing on treating you room in the future? My room is about the same size as yours but well treated which really helps. My mixes translate perfectly to other systems and now I can focus on my next gear and making music.
Sorry you can't audition the focal, but please report back and let us know how you like your new monitors. I am sure many guys will be asking the same questions in the future.
Yeah I have a Maxwall system which I will breakdown and use bits of, plus some Auralex metrofusers for the ceiling and back wall, plus a few absorption panels on the sides. Will be sure to report back, but might be a few weeks till they get em all in. This has been a great thread. There seems a lot of strength in depth with monitors at this price, so hopefully it will be a good resource for others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Here's a curveball for ya: sE Electronics Egg Studio Monitors at Gear4Music.comheh

They're £1,500 but check this video out. WNAMM11: SE Electronics Announce New Speakers, Munro Egg speaker design (Video) -Sonicstate.com

No smearing or resonance? I'd put those on my shortlist!
Oh lordy! A curveball indeed. They look AWESOME and the blurb sounds promising. Shame they not shipping yet tho. That video said shipping May 2011, so they must have had some kinda hold up.
Old 12th September 2011
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I really like my A7's. my mixes really translate well with them. my buddy has a pair as well & likes 'em very much. of course you will probably want a sub too.
I added a sub to my A7s and didn't like it. I just use my A7s and they give me plenty to work with in the low end. This is probably room dependent, but I didn't need the sub and it actually made it hard to mix the low end in my room.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds View Post
I added a sub to my A7s and didn't like it. I just use my A7s and they give me plenty to work with in the low end. This is probably room dependent, but I didn't need the sub and it actually made it hard to mix the low end in my room.

A7X's also go lower and louder then the A7's. Really depends on the music you work with if you would need a sub or not .
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh lordy! A curveball indeed. They look AWESOME and the blurb sounds promising. Shame they not shipping yet tho. That video said shipping May 2011, so they must have had some kinda hold up.
gear4music says estimated shipping 22nd sept. Other sites say sold out, i wonder if that means preorders are already gone.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
gear4music says estimated shipping 22nd sept. Other sites say sold out, i wonder if that means preorders are already gone.
anyone heard em or got a review? on that video they mentioned the price been around £1200, but the extra few hundred might put em out of my reach....
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
You want to check the b stock at dv247 , some great deals there, can have unity audio the rock, focal solo be, adam a8x etc for around or under £1000 for the pair sometimes.

You can get A7X for £620 for pair for example and condition will be as new saving some £200, There's also some dynaudio bm-12a for a little over £1000 for the pair.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone heard em or got a review? on that video they mentioned the price been around £1200, but the extra few hundred might put em out of my reach....
Yeah i was kinda surprised i heard £1,200, usually the street price is less! I'd definitely have to hear them before parting with my money.

+1 for dv247, they are probably the best for b-stock monitors but they only give a 3 month warranty. Typically their regulah prices are better as well plus they give 30 days grace. heh
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
You want to check the b stock at dv247 , some great deals there, can have unity audio the rock, focal solo be, adam a8x etc for around or under £1000 for the pair sometimes.

You can get A7X for £620 for pair for example and condition will be as new saving some £200, There's also some dynaudio bm-12a for a little over £1000 for the pair.
Props for the tip off! Man, Focal Solo Be for £1000, would be game over for me.
My local store is Sounds Live, which seems to match DV247 for price, which is excellent.

That's uber cheap for A7x. Anyone got the BM-12a?

Shame about The Egg prices. You'd have thought getting it down around the £1k mark would be critical, as the extra few hundred puts em out the market of a large group of good monitors.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Props for the tip off! Man, Focal Solo Be for £1000, would be game over for me.
My local store is Sounds Live, which seems to match DV247 for price, which is excellent.

That's uber cheap for A7x. Anyone got the BM-12a?

Shame about The Egg prices. You'd have thought getting it down around the £1k mark would be critical, as the extra few hundred puts em out the market of a large group of good monitors.
I owned bm12a's when they first came out, i was really disappointed, i'm a big dynaudio fan, i've tried and worked with all the bm series, for me the best are the bm5a's(mk1 and mk2), bm6a's mk1 (better than the mk2's to my ears), and the bm15a's.
With the bm6a's mk2 and the mb12a's, i feel like they tried to make bigger bm5a's, but doesn't work as well to me, of course there are more bassy but they are not as linear as the bm5a's..
I ended up by selling the bm12a's and bought one more time bm5a's but with the bm9s sub.

How big is your home studio?
how big do you want your want your monitors, that is the question.
If it's less than 15m2, i will recommend the KH120's, they above any other monitors in the price range and even more.
Before i heard of the KH120's, i had a session with the PMC DB1S-AII's and wanted to buy them, they worth almost twice the price of the KH120's and you know what, they are not even as good at, especially down the LF's.

However, if you want bigger, and want to keep this standard, i'll go for the solo6 not far behind the kh120's in terms of accuracy but more powerful, and good value for money.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Yeah i was kinda surprised i heard £1,200, usually the street price is less! I'd definitely have to hear them before parting with my money.

+1 for dv247, they are probably the best for b-stock monitors but they only give a 3 month warranty. Typically their regulah prices are better as well plus they give 30 days grace. heh
dv247 give's an 4 year warranty on b-stock items. I brought a keyboard from them earlier is year and although it was advertised as b-stock they sold me a brand new one at the b-stock price. Also i have just brought a pair of KH120a's which were advertised as b-stock and as far as i am concerned they are actually brand new. If anyone in the UK wants to check out Studiocare, they still are advertising b-stock KH120's for £840 plus deliverly. And i tell you what the KH'S are FANTASTIC.

Keith.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

According to their website DV247 don't give a warranty, which is why I was a tad wary....

Q: Does B-Stock come with the full 4 year warranty?
A: No, we only issue a 3 month warranty for B-Stock. However, you do still have 30 days to test the item and confirm it is suitable under our 30 days "no quibble" returns policy.

But just called Studiocare and they do give full warranty. Might well bag me some KH120s at that price like. Nice one Keith!

Isma - studio is micro, less than 9m2, so these sound like a good choice. Power is not a big concern, but accuracy and good bass most certainly is.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

prefect size!
Just in case you don't know, after neumann bought the brand K+H, the KH120's are the upgrade of the K+H O110's, improved and actually cheaper!
The O110's are a classic, maybe the best nearfield monitors at it size ever, before the KH120's came out!
My KH's are on my desk, sitting on "mopads", my studio is about 10m2, the sound is absolutly unbelievable, the BASS, oh man....
If you don't use speaker stands, you should get mopads-like stuff, it's worth it, especially for the LF's..
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

To be more specific, my "mopads" are actually col sound M250's:
Col Sound M250 (2 pce) : mixexperience , Mousse acoustique Col Sound M250 (2 pce)
Colsound M250, 18 € TTC - UNIVERS-SONS - Isolations des monitors
They perfectly fit the KH120's.
Col'sound is a french professional studio acoustic brand, very popular in france.
The M250's and the bigger M320's actually came out before the auralex mopad, they are cheaper, and at least as good as...
Don't buy the thomann's one, they are horrible, they don't last...
They Auralex are also very good, but a bit too big for the KH120's...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
prefect size!
Just in case you don't know, after neumann bought the brand K+H, the KH120's are the upgrade of the K+H O110's, improved and actually cheaper!
The O110's are a classic, maybe the best nearfield monitors at it size ever, before the KH120's came out!
My KH's are on my desk, sitting on "mopads", my studio is about 10m2, the sound is absolutly unbelievable, the BASS, oh man....
If you don't use speaker stands, you should get mopads-like stuff, it's worth it, especially for the LF's..
I've seen budget versions of the primacoustic recoil stabilisers as well. Studiospares have their own version and now Sinn7 do them for £52 a pair. I wonder what difference there is between them and the PRS. Not much more than the auralex...

Anyway, this thread is turning up the GAS for an upgrade!

@rollover, i was looking at a b-stock pair of monitors a few months ago and spoke to dv to confirm it was 3 months and they said yeah. Maybe it's different on higher end stuff or in certain circumstances but i wouldn't want to drop £1,000 on a pair if monitors with a 3 month warranty, no way!

Last edited by musikmaschine; 13th September 2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Addendum
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
According to their website DV247 don't give a warranty, which is why I was a tad wary....

A: No, we only issue a 3 month warranty for B-Stock. However, you do still have 30 days to test the item and confirm it is suitable under our 30 days "no quibble" returns policy.

But just called Studiocare and they do give full warranty. Might well bag me some KH120s at that price like. Nice one Keith!

Isma - studio is micro, less than 9m2, so these sound like a good choice. Power is not a big concern, but accuracy and good bass most certainly is.
I have just checked my invoice that Studiocare sent me for the KH120's. They read as brand new and therefore have Neumann's 24 month standard warranty.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thats fine really, long as you got 30 day return plan the rest of warranty can be based from the manufacturer which is usually 2 + years. Studiocare sound good though.
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

To the guys who have the KH120s, how are you liking them now? Anybody compared them to the A7Xs? I have the BM5As right now - trying to find a place in LA where I can compare all of these.
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

The worst way to choose monitors is to ask other people what they like.

Its like asking people to tell you what flavor of ice cream you should prefer. Only you know the answer to the question.

Find a way to try a bunch of monitors out in your room. Thats the only
way to get what's best for you.

Yes, it can be time consuming to do this, and a huge pain in the butt,
but its 100 percent garanteed to work.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
The worst way to choose monitors is to ask other people what they like.

Its like asking people to tell you what flavor of ice cream you should prefer. Only you know the answer to the question.

Find a way to try a bunch of monitors out in your room. Thats the only
way to get what's best for you.

Yes, it can be time consuming to do this, and a huge pain in the butt,
but its 100 percent garanteed to work.
It can be a great place to start when you have no clue what you want. I frequently ask people what they like at restaurants to help me avoid terrible dishes. As you say, you ultimately have to make the choice based on your preference but I don't think we should be told not to ask.
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

Probably not what you're looking for but I have a pair of JBL 4326P and they have self calibration for your room. Just plug in the supplied mic , hit the button and in about a minute it sends out a series of tones , then self calibrates the e.q. to compensate for your room, to give you a flat response.
They have plenty of bass too....extend down to 47hz . with a 6.25 " woofer.
Not on your list but if they're available there you may want to try a pair.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
To the guys who have the KH120s, how are you liking them now? Anybody compared them to the A7Xs? I have the BM5As right now - trying to find a place in LA where I can compare all of these.
KH120s are a step above both, smaller but more accurate, especially down the bottom, the bass is deep and punchy.
I've owned the BM5a's, BM6a's and BM12a's, worked with the Adams A7Xs and A8Xs, all i can say is Neumann (like K+H before) is another league..
Fantastic monitors
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Head

I went to a store that had more than 40 different monitors and I've heard them all and compared them for days and days. My final choise was:

Focal CMS 50 + Subwoofer.

CMS50/65 are the most balanced monitors and with the best high end clarity. You are forced to make great mixes with these monitors.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
Do you have considered the Sonodyne?
I hear lots of positiv voices about them. I´m lokking forward to give them a try, .
These look good for the price.
Old 3rd October 2011
Quote:
don't sway me with the master yoda comparison - I am now convinced the neumanns have the force and can get me mixing like Pensado!

Although there have been a few curve balls, it is seeming to boil down to a few main contenders. I'd love to try the less well known options peeps have mentioned, but it's not easy to audition em all in the UK.

CMS65, A7x and KH120 seem like all good options, but doubt I'm gonna be able to trial the Focals....

So which monitors did you end up getting? Just out of curiosity.

When East Meets West - Gearslutz.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search