The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best small monitors for under $1500 Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2011
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
Reiner's Avatar
 

Do you have considered the Sonodyne?
I hear lots of positiv voices about them. I´m lokking forward to give them a try, as soon as I can for the new editsuite over here at the studio.
If you can strecht the budget a little you may also have a look about the Focal Solo6, or get some used in good condition for your budget. I like them way better than the CMS line for my taste.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I tried a pair of Focals and loved the sound of them but had issues. They also had quite a bit of port chuffing with certain frequencies. This was mainly due to me expecting them to cope with more than what they're designed for!
I now have some Acoustic Energy AE22's which I love and find them simply brilliant for mixing on.

I preferred both the AE22's and focals to the Dynaudio DM6a's and original Adam A7's.
Sorry to hear that had issues with the CMS 65. Mines are great and I love them. I can hear each sound separated from another, they are very accurate, I never had such an exact stereo image and the best thing of all is that they do translate perfectly to all other systems including the big clubs systems. They are the best thing I've ever heard by miles.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
Would be strange to not add the A7X's to the list.

I was picking almost all the monitors you where pretty much before getting the Focal CMS's based on the hearsay and hype, but they was not for me. Traded in for the A7X's and much better for me personally. Found the stereo image about the same, but find the Adam's to be more detailed, clear and natural and they go quite allot louder overall with more low end which helps for more bass heavy music. Find it easier to correct finer details also, everything translates perfectly.

Both have a very different sound so cater for different people. Monitors are very subjective and personal, so just make sure you have a trade in plan from where your ordering so you have the option to trade if your not happy with what you get at first.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Would be strange to not add the A7X's to the list.

I was picking almost all the monitors you where pretty much before getting the Focal CMS's based on the hearsay and hype, but they was not for me. Traded in for the A7X's and much better for me personally. Found the stereo image about the same, but find the Adam's to be more detailed, clear and natural and they go quite allot louder overall with more low end which helps for more bass heavy music. Find it easier to correct finer details also, everything translates perfectly.

Both have a very different sound so cater for different people. Monitors are very subjective and personal, so just make sure you have a trade in plan from where your ordering so you have the option to trade if your not happy with what you get at first.
The ADAM A7 have made their historical representation for reference speaker post ns10m period. but sadly, I think this not lasting any more as you can tell how many of new speaker brands are targeting on Adam's A7 and the NS10's success.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
Not saying anything of the sort. I do know the A7X is a much improved monitor over the A7 in every aspect though.

But as you say, there's a big market out there now. There's many monitors to choose from now to cater for everyone, good compeition is only a good thing.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #36
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
Have you had a chance to mix and or master a track on the Focal CMS 65? Not just listening to them in the store.
Yes. The PMC TB monitors go lower though, and provide tight and articulate low-end that the Focal's, in my experience with them, were not able to match. The mid-range clarity of the PMC monitors was also what drew me in.

I would have been crazy to pass up on the deal that I got for the PMC TB monitors though, since I only paid $425 for the pair. It seems that not many people are looking up PMC monitors on ebay, so I snatched them right up

I used the remaining 1k purchase some Troisi converters, a B&W sub, another Hafler P3000 for the BM6's that kept for my living room, and a used pair of Event ASP8's for letting clients listen to their projects at loud-volumes.

I could not be any happier with my decision.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
Nice deal on them!

Some good prices for the passive ones also, but then you need a good amp for them.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
Yes. The PMC TB monitors go lower though, and provide tight and articulate low-end that the Focal's, in my experience with them, were not able to match. The mid-range clarity of the PMC monitors was also what drew me in.

I would have been crazy to pass up on the deal that I got for the PMC TB monitors though, since I only paid $425 for the pair. It seems that not many people are looking up PMC monitors on ebay, so I snatched them right up

I used the remaining 1k purchase some Troisi converters, a B&W sub, another Hafler P3000 for the BM6's that kept for my living room, and a used pair of Event ASP8's for letting clients listen to their projects at loud-volumes.

I could not be any happier with my decision.
That's a great deal congratulations. I just thought that the PMC and B&W are HIFI loud speakers and they are better used for mastering than mixing.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #39
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
That's a great deal congratulations. I just thought that the PMC and B&W are HIFI loud speakers and they are better used for mastering than mixing.
I had the same notion, until I came across this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...s-amazing.html
Old 3rd September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
PMC are far from hi fi. Very accurate and good for mixing. Higher end B&W the same also (Of course the lower end B&W are just hi fi speakers, but they are still nice)

Good deals on the TB2+ passives, something id seriously consider.
Old 3rd September 2011
  #41
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
I had the same notion, until I came across this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...s-amazing.html
The TBS2 are great but not in the price range, as well as the K+H O300...
K+H O110 were already "more neutral" than the PMC DB1SA (not as popular as the TB2S).
I just got the Neumann KH 120's (new version of the O110), FANTASTIC monitors, impressive bass responds for the tiny size, don't even need a sub..
Old 4th September 2011
  #42
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Actually, forget Focal, PMC, Dynaudio, Neumann, K+H, etc.

Just get some Mackie PMK-5 studio monitors; "hese speakers get their juice from Mackie's original Certified Organic-architecture amplifiers, which are able to deliver an ultra-flat frequency response that's critical for a true-to-life mix...

at the same time, Mackie claims that you can compensate the sonic reproduction of the PMK Reference Studio Monitors with simply carving additional holes in the cabinets and thus getting the best results with these units in almost any room."

Attached Thumbnails
Best small monitors for under 00-mackie-pumkins-02_2.jpg   Best small monitors for under 00-mackie-introduces-new-pumpkin-shaped-pmk-studio-monit2ors-2.jpg  
Old 4th September 2011
  #43
Gear Addict
 
tysonviolin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky monkey View Post
Check out the Pelonis model 42, $999, great speakers!!!
I'm going with these to compliment my KRKs
Old 4th September 2011
  #44
Here for the gear
 

I love my Dyn BM6's! I work in a smaller room as well, and my sonic choices always translate well. I did add a sub, which I try to keep switched off most of the time... I mostly just use it to check for rumble or excessive low end on tracks.
Old 5th September 2011
  #45
Just received my Neumann KH120a's and they look brand new. Were told they were B-Stock but the boxes they were in still had their security seals unbroken on the Neumann boxes. A result. Be awhile yet before i get them up and working as i am still building my new studio.

Keith.
Old 5th September 2011
  #46
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Just received my Neumann KH120a's and they look brand new. Were told they were B-Stock but the boxes they were in still had their security seals unbroken on the Neumann boxes. A result. Be awhile yet before i get them up and working as i am still building my new studio.

Keith.
Form the first minutes of listening i was blown away, really, this depth, punch and bass from this size...wow

Have fun man
Old 5th September 2011
  #47
Gear Head
 
Rollover's Avatar
 

I am gonna try use all your advice and opinions to narrow it down to a top 3, and try get my local shop to get them in for audition. It would be difficult to get more varieties in I think and also make it trickier to decide!

One thing that is critical for my (and am sure many others) situation is the specifics --- we're talking a mini room (actual measurements are 2.4m x 1.9m). Also as it is residential area they won't be playing loud, so they need to be excellent at low to medium volume. Due to the nature of the music I often make I need the best bass I can get without a sub. Finally the issue is size. To give me enough room on the desk they cannot be overly deep.

Are you guys using in similar circumstances?

....and kesslerjesus - do they do them with courgettes?
Old 5th September 2011
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
I am gonna try use all your advice and opinions to narrow it down to a top 3, and try get my local shop to get them in for audition. It would be difficult to get more varieties in I think and also make it trickier to decide!

One thing that is critical for my (and am sure many others) situation is the specifics --- we're talking a mini room (actual measurements are 2.4m x 1.9m). Also as it is residential area they won't be playing loud, so they need to be excellent at low to medium volume. Due to the nature of the music I often make I need the best bass I can get without a sub. Finally the issue is size. To give me enough room on the desk they cannot be overly deep.

Are you guys using in similar circumstances?

....and kesslerjesus - do they do them with courgettes?
Yes. I live in a residential area and my room is small too. Also i am like you and couldn't have monitors to deep and cannot really get away with a sub. That's why i went for the Neumann KH120's after chosing them from several other monitors ie Adam A7x, Focal and Sonodyne's were on my list.

Keith.
Old 6th September 2011
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger View Post
Neumann KH 120
Heard these and was really impressed. Can't go wrong with these.

$1000 - $1500 could probably get a pair of A7's which are pretty good and a pair of mixcubes or HS50's if you look used. I'm using the A7's right now and they're ok for the money I think.
Old 6th September 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Yes. I live in a residential area and my room is small too. Also i am like you and couldn't have monitors to deep and cannot really get away with a sub. That's why i went for the Neumann KH120's after chosing them from several other monitors ie Adam A7x, Focal and Sonodyne's were on my list.

Keith.
Which Focals?
Old 6th September 2011
  #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Which Focals?
Focal CMS 50 or 65. Cannot decided. In the end went for the Neumann's and couldn't be more happier.
Old 6th September 2011
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Not really small, but

I picked up a pair of used passive Dynaudio BM15s for a grand Canadian a few months ago and love em, love em, love em. Already had an ART SLA1 power amp. It's not sexy but I have no complaints whatsover about the sound and my mixes improved drastically and immediately. No more guessing about bass levels, plus if it sounds good, it is good, everything translates well.

Anything that's not active is a sleeper these days.

Of course buying used means you're probably not going to be able to audition them in your space first... hopefully however you do buy your next pair you'll be able to do so.

Last edited by lotech; 6th September 2011 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 6th September 2011
  #53
Here for the gear
 
AcousticMuse's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger View Post
Neumann KH 120
Ditto on the Neumann KH 120... I did a bunch of A/B listening tests on 8" 2 way monitors, Genelecs, JBL, Mackies, Tannoys etc and the guy brought out these little Neumann KH120s and I almost laughed as they were so small... then I almost cried from laughing at the fact that they were more accurate and transparent than all the rest but presented the bass better also. Maybe not so boomy or beefy down there but controlled and very well delineated. Couldn't fault them!



It's ALL about the performance!
Old 6th September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Focal CMS 50 or 65. Cannot decided. In the end went for the Neumann's and couldn't be more happier.
Thanks. They certainly have a look of quality about them. I will check them out next time i'm shopping for monitors.
Old 6th September 2011
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Would be strange to not add the A7X's to the list.

I was picking almost all the monitors you where pretty much before getting the Focal CMS's based on the hearsay and hype, but they was not for me. Traded in for the A7X's and much better for me personally. Found the stereo image about the same, but find the Adam's to be more detailed, clear and natural and they go quite allot louder overall with more low end which helps for more bass heavy music. Find it easier to correct finer details also, everything translates perfectly.

Both have a very different sound so cater for different people. Monitors are very subjective and personal, so just make sure you have a trade in plan from where your ordering so you have the option to trade if your not happy with what you get at first.
I bought the A7x some time ago. I've been using ADAM monitors in a couple of studios I used to work in, and always loved them. But I was also considered the Focal CMS65. I used Focal's Twin6 a couple of times and are amazing, best sounding monitors ever. BUT, I've mixed on Twin6 and listened to CMS65 (not worked on them) and I always feel like they are too "HiFi"for me. They are detailed, I can hear reverbs and delays like ever before. Sure. But everything you throw at them sounds great, some things better than others, but they always sound good. And that's why I choose ADAMs. The are cool, image is great and they are no so "augmenting" or "flattering", and very detailed too. And they have some sort of "in your face" sound that I love. You here the sound coming from in front of you, not from somewhere out there.
But, in monitors, it's a matter of personal taste as everything in audio, if you know what I mean.
Best regards.
Old 8th September 2011
  #56
My old mixes and other songs that I had on my I tune library sounded awful on the CMS 65 but great mixes did really shine on them. They make you work harder but you will end up with a nice mix that will translate to all other systems, well than the rest is up to you and how you like to mix you tracks. Here is couple of tracks that I mixed on them. What do you guys think?



Old 9th September 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
I Use Quested's S7R's and cannot recommend them enough, especially for if you are going to a smaller room.

However, if you wish to leave the world of Quested, Focal CM65's and Adam A7x are both impressive.
Old 9th September 2011
  #58
Here for the gear
 

I really recommend the Adam monitors. Very accurate! Rarely have to reference my mixes on other monitors!!!
Old 10th September 2011
  #59
Gear Head
 
Rollover's Avatar
 

I love quested but maybe a change is good for a while. Had the 2108s for about 10 years now. Hope I can 'learn' my new speakers and room quickly, so I don't miss em too much!

Tough to audition Focals where I live, without a 600mile round trip to London,
but my local shop can get in some of the others.
So gonna do a shootout in a few weeks of Neumann KH120, Adam A7x, Genelec 8030 and 8040, Mackie 624. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts in due course.
Old 10th September 2011
  #60
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump