The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Thing You Can Do To Treat A Small 4 Wall Bedroom Monitor Controllers
Old 6th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

Wow. The untreated room really sounds bad. Couldn't make out a word he said - he might as well have been speaking Slovak!
Old 6th September 2011
  #32
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
Wow. The untreated room really sounds bad. Couldn't make out a word he said - he might as well have been speaking Slovak!

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6th September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

Thanks for the link though. It's very interesting to hear how the unfocussed, wobbly blancmange of sound tightens up.
Old 6th September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 View Post
The first step is two 2' x 4' acoustic panels to cover the left and right first reflection points. 3" thick of a suitable material (OC 703, Roxul Safe and Sound).
I just got 12 slabs of RS60 but why 3"? Mine are 2" thick plus i'm putting 2" frames on them...
Old 6th September 2011
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's touched on something that I've been pondering today: is acoustic foam of no use whatsoever? Can it not be used to stop flutter echo and stuff? It's just we have some rooms to treat and maybe 40 tiles of acoustic foam, what could we use it for? Could we use it to kill first reflections? We have bass traps that we'll be putting up too, just seems a shame to let the foam go to waste,
Old 6th September 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
mcgruff's Avatar
 

So long as the acoustic foam isn't taking up space needed for a bass trap, it won't do any harm.
Old 6th September 2011
  #37
Here for the gear
 

If you can't be mounting and hanging a ton of junk in your room, it only makes sense to build free-standing modules. I particularly adore the RealTraps modular system. But they are expensive, so I have to settle for 2x4's.
Old 6th September 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
EricF's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyedie View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but it's touched on something that I've been pondering today: is acoustic foam of no use whatsoever? Can it not be used to stop flutter echo and stuff? It's just we have some rooms to treat and maybe 40 tiles of acoustic foam, what could we use it for? Could we use it to kill first reflections? We have bass traps that we'll be putting up too, just seems a shame to let the foam go to waste,
With most small rooms, the biggest issues are usually in the low end. If you only use typical "acoustic foam" products, you're taking out some of the high end, and likely making the room MORE out of balance.

Foam is fine for treating high end issues AFTER proper bass trapping and broadband absorption is in place. Typical fiberglass/rockwool-filled panels also absorb high frequencies (hence the term "broadband"), and you may find that additional treatment for high frequencies isn't necessary.
Old 7th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Just placed a order of 2 pairs of GIK 244 Bass Traps (total of 4 panels) - http://gikacoustics.com/gik_244.html.

GIK's customer service so far has been excellent. I sent in a diagram of my room, explained my issues as I have done here and their room designer got back with me with their suggestions.

Basically what I am going to be doing is adding two bass trap panels on the front wall corners (behind my monitors) and then two directly in the center of the rear wall (behind my back).

As I understand this will be a good FIRST STEP (not the total ideal package, but the beginnings).

I should have these things up and going next week and I will report back the difference. Again I'm not expecting a giant difference but any correctiveness that I can do right now in my temporary situation will be good until I have a permanent situation.
Old 7th September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
EricF's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
Just placed a order of 2 pairs of GIK 244 Bass Traps (total of 4 panels) - GIK 244 Bass Trap. GIK Acoustics. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps..

GIK's customer service so far has been excellent. I sent in a diagram of my room, explained my issues as I have done here and their room designer got back with me with their suggestions.

Basically what I am going to be doing is adding two bass trap panels on the front wall corners (behind my monitors) and then two directly in the center of the rear wall (behind my back).

As I understand this will be a good FIRST STEP (not the total ideal package, but the beginnings).

I should have these things up and going next week and I will report back the difference. Again I'm not expecting a giant difference but any correctiveness that I can do right now in my temporary situation will be good until I have a permanent situation.
Congrats! You made a very intelligent first step. I expect you'll hear more of a difference than you might think.

Props to Glenn and his crew for continuing to provide awesome customer service.
Old 7th September 2011
  #41
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
With most small rooms, the biggest issues are usually in the low end. If you only use typical "acoustic foam" products, you're taking out some of the high end, and likely making the room MORE out of balance.

Foam is fine for treating high end issues AFTER proper bass trapping and broadband absorption is in place. Typical fiberglass/rockwool-filled panels also absorb high frequencies (hence the term "broadband"), and you may find that additional treatment for high frequencies isn't necessary.
And just to add, Ethan Winer from Real Traps tested Foam By Mail which turned out to be fraud. Basically BBW that a lot of foam you see out there (a lot of it on ebay and odd looking websites) do not work. There is a difference. If it is not RPG or Auralex then I would think twice.

Quote:
Props to Glenn and his crew for continuing to provide awesome customer service.
Thanks Eric!
Old 7th September 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Congrats! You made a very intelligent first step. I expect you'll hear more of a different than you might think.

Props to Glenn and his crew for continuing to provide awesome customer service.
The biggest difference i'm noticing is that i'm actually hearing the audio and not the speaker, a big improvement on the spatial imaging and depth of sound. I've only placed four pieces of RS60 behind my hs80s and two on the back wall so far but if this is any indication of the difference treatment can make then i'm a believer! heh

So yeah it doesn't take a lot to hear a difference.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump