The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tape recording, dead before i was born but im bring it up. yes Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

End truth: if you want to wow ou clients, get a pretty girlfriend who hangs out with you all the time, or make killer mixes that make them sound like professionals. If a cassette deck or home audio tape machine that they could get at any flea market for pennies 'wow's them, then I've nothing to say.
Old 11th November 2011
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Old 7th December 2011
Here for the gear
No fun allowed, right Bill?
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHead View Post
No fun allowed, right Bill?

The op wants "a cheap tape machine to learn an practice an old an dying art form,".... so we have pretty much tried to explain that there is more to practicing that art form than buying a junk deck. And doing it correctly is not really very much fun, I found it to be a PITA and was sooooooo happy when digital recording came along. doing something poorly for clients isn't fun. making good sounding recordings that rock and put a smile on the face of the listener is fun. (Unless you just like tinkering with stuff, in which case it has nothing to do with recording or clients and is all about making yourself feel good. Which is probably illegal in several states... but I digress...)
so you can steer the thread in a different direction, but we've answered as to the original post.
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
buy new cassette decks for $200 or so
There are no high end cassette decks still being manufactured. If you want something that sounds really good, (and can compete with mid-level R2R) You need to go back at least 15 years. There are a variety of good choices, but any 3 head Nakamichi will sound great. You'll need to put some time or $$$ into getting it setup properly.

Hang out on tapeheads.net for a while and learn.
Old 8th December 2011
I recently bought an Otari MTR-12 4 track 1/2" machine at an auction for peanuts, and I'm getting ready to wire it up to my patch bay. It had been serviced, then only used once since, so everything appears to be in good working order, though I'm going to have to figure out how to run it exactly, it does seem somewhat intimidating.

I got some RGMI tape, looking forward to trying it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search