The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboard Comps, Verbs, Delays < $500 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Outboard Comps, Verbs, Delays < $500

Hey budgetslutz!

I'm in the mood to fill up some empty rack space.

Where are the sleepers < $500 Compressors, Delays, and Reverbs?

For Example:
Chameleon 7702
dbx 163a
FMR RNC
Pro VLA
Yamaha Rev7
Yamaha Rev5
Lexicon MPX200

I'm interested to see what gets praise around here these days, and grab a few new toys to play with. I'm looking for fun, unique, creative devices new and old. Devices with character, please. I can get clean all day long in the digital domain. Lots of lights or big backlit VU's are a plus. Wow factor counts for something too.
Because of my hybrid mix workflow (Daw to console), I am exxxpecially interested in things I might use with an aux send or across a parallel stereo bus. I'd really like a simple mono delay for pre-delaying the send to my analog plate, and a couple few stereo compressors that I can leave normalled across my 8 busses for parallel, group, or mix bus compression at the push of an assign button.

Between an EMT140 and a Yamaha rev 7, I'm happy with reverbs atm, although it would be nice to have a digital verb quiet enough for acoustic pieces. Analog and old 80's verbs have a healthy noise floor, and I've been using covo verbs ITB when I need to. This sucks sometimes when I want it on an aux knob, post fader.

Extra points if you offer to sell me something unique by PM.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Lexicon MX300 or MX400 excellnt reverbs, FMR PBC-6a is a wow type of compressor...Alesis 'old' Micro Limiter, one smooth stereo compressor...just to name a few
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

You say you're looking for character not clean, so the RNC is out (it's great as a utility tool, not so much character) but the FMR RNLA is absolutely there. I LOVE mine, love it on kick drum, bass, and vocals especially. With how great the RNLA sounds, I'd guess the PBC-6a, as Jimsi suggested, would really be a "wow" compressor like he says.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool,
I hope this isn't one of those "not this again" topics. I'm not just looking for cheap comps.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Keep em' coming!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I also have the RNLA and as jgimbel said it realy has some colored charater love it with acoustical guitars and some volcals...the FMR PBC 6a doesnt color the sound, it tends to shape the sound, crush it, Its like it can make the sound so defined, you can pan it anywhere and its as defined as a bell ringing, the sound becomes that clear also it adds some musical distortion..(doesnt sound like a bell...lol)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgimbel View Post
You say you're looking for character not clean, so the RNC is out (it's great as a utility tool, not so much character) but the FMR RNLA is absolutely there. I LOVE mine, love it on kick drum, bass, and vocals especially. With how great the RNLA sounds, I'd guess the PBC-6a, as Jimsi suggested, would really be a "wow" compressor like he says.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

So far, some great arguments for the RNLA and PB-6a. You've got my attention! I'm looking into them now.

EDIT: PB-6a is mono, any experience using two linked?
I could easily see myself racking two of them together.

Also, pairing an RNC and an RNLA in a rack panel is quite attractive...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

It could be worthwhile checking out Eventide's pedals. I know they're pedals and not 19" wide, but they have switchable line level ins and outs, will output stereo for a mono input, have loads of reverbs (Space), delays (Timefactor), etc, are within your price grasp, and IMHO sound bloody nice.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
Cool,
I hope this isn't one of those "not this again" topics. I'm not just looking for cheap comps.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Keep em' coming!

Sorry but it is. Low end outboard has been discussed many times. Compressors in your price range are well documented here.

Searching would have told you that.

Good luck.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was mostly just me being polite. In fact, searching prior to starting this thread did reveal an under $500 thread about compressors, and some good stuff about other outboard in this price range. Naturally, low end outboard would have been discussed many times in the low end forum.

However, I chose to start a new thread focusing more on which of these well covered devices are unique and have the most personality. I am not simply interested in compression, and it was my hope that we could explore these devices beyond what has the most bang for the buck or what works best for a dorm room.

Please folks, if the only input you have is to tell me that I should have searched some more, then do this:
Good luck spreading sarcasm elsewhere.

@Hyper - It never occurred to me to use pedals. That's a great idea, since many of today's pedals have more than just instrument level inputs and outputs.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

It wasn't sarcasm, it was an honest (and accurate) response to your own comment. Take it as you will, but adding questions to an existing thread discussing a pertinent topic always makes more sense to me than creating a new thread in which the same information is bound to be repeated (which it has here FWIW).

As for using pedals, well, that's been discussed before as well

In all sincerity I wish you the best of luck.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
It wasn't sarcasm, it was an honest (and accurate) response to your own comment. Take it as you will, but adding questions to an existing thread discussing a pertinent topic always makes more sense to me than creating a new thread in which the same information is bound to be repeated (which it has here FWIW).

As for using pedals, well, that's been discussed before as well

In all sincerity I wish you the best of luck.
It's a good thing this isn't a pay per thread site, then. Perhaps I should have posted in another thread, but new threads often get more attention. NBD either way. Thanks for your sincerity.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Heres my .02...Art pro vla with new tubes, dbx 16xx, FMR pb6a.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
Heres my .02...Art pro vla with new tubes, dbx 16xx, FMR pb6a.
Thanks!
I've got an original VLA w/ mullards, and I just purchased the RNLA and the Chameleon 7720. I kind of already had my mind made up on the 7720 Got the RNLA for $156 on ebay.
I'm negotiating with a Craigslist seller to pick up an RNC, Rolls headphone amp, and an ART Multiverb Alpha SE for $250. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm thinking the RNC will be great to use with the headphone amp for a little more polished cue mix.

I'm not liking the fact that the PB6A has no threshold control, have you found that a limiting factor? (pun intended)

EDIT: I just heard from the CL seller, confirmed. Picking up the RNC, Rolls RA5b headphone amp, and the ART Multiverb in the morning for $250. Score!
Old 3rd September 2011
Behringer V-Verb has all the verbs you'll ever want or need (and it has a compressor or two as well).

Check out the lengthy V-Verb thread. It's well-loved here. For good reason.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

There's a lot of crowing over the V-Verb in that thread, too bad I don't see them for sale at under $100 like it was in 09'. In fact, I can't find them for sale on craigslist, amazon, or ebay. The last one that sold in the classifieds here was just a couple of weeks ago :( it was only $115. I would buy this unit based on the reviews of some trusted slutz alone. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to watch for it to come available!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

For a cheap verb over acoustic sections and some grand piano I still like my old T.C. M-one XL. It makes a nice sheen that doesnt get in the way of a mix. You already have a Rev7....I have two. Its still the trashy snare verb that some of us cant live without.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
You already have a Rev7....I have two. Its still the trashy snare verb that some of us cant live without.
Indeed it is, sir. Indeed it is.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
Indeed it is, sir. Indeed it is.
LOL! So you really do know!

Theres that gated plate that you can chop the tail on for the timing of the quarter note that just says, "Hi, its the eighties, and we're all wearing suspenders and striped shirts"
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Check out the Overstayer comp.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
LOL! So you really do know!

Theres that gated plate that you can chop the tail on for the timing of the quarter note that just says, "Hi, its the eighties, and we're all wearing suspenders and striped shirts"
Unmistakeable Rev7 sound! When I first got it and discovered some of the presets, I thought, so THAT'S how they got that sound! I also like the echo room, and symphonic presets. Symphonic is especially nice on synth sounds.
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

What's your take on the 7720 comp vs. the RNLA?
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Well the biggest difference is one is a compressor, the other a limiter. The RNLA has been great spanking a parallel drum bus. The 7720 can be made to pump pretty hard, but I've been leaving it on my master bus and just giving it the old .3 attack/Auto release treatment at 1.5:1 for mix glue. The output control is unity at far left position, so it's got a lot of juice for makeup gain when you need it.

Two different beasts, but where I described my use of them they both really excel.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Some one beat me to it..
But Overstayer comps are very cool.
I want to and their new Line Driver/Saturation box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search