The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best pair of small condensers for around $100 Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

Best pair of small condensers for around $100

Hi i need a decent pair of small condensers for overheads and acoustic guitar to add to my mic collection. I dont have a great sounding room. Been looking at cardoids or maybe just more 57s. Just sold my cad179 because i want something that pickups less room and outside noise and just a smaller form factor...

Some options im considering are:

12gauge mic green
Karma k10
Naiant
Beyerdynamic opus 53
Sm 57
Audix i5

(mics i have: sm57, sm58, unidyne iii, sm7b, ev re20, and shure 849(sdc)

anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions?

I want to stay around $100(less than $150) for a pair.(but may consider a good single mic thats in that price range and could add another later, if it could do a good job as a mono or paired with something i already have)
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

behringer had a pair of ldc (something like b3 or c1 or some such name)
was about $80 a pair in case etc.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The MCA SP-1 is great at 50 each
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Hmm both large condensers....thinking i made a mistake selling my cad m179?

I really want something in a smaller size, due to size and space limitations.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The MCA SP-1 is a small in a large diaphragm condenser body. You can even mod them to sound like a km-84
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Samson C01
Old 1st September 2011
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Well im trying to avoid large condensers guys....

Arent the little blondies omni's. I have read they pick up room reflections quite a bit.

Anyone else with an answer somewhat related to what im asking?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

An obvious choice would be a pair of MLX 603s. Around $150/pair new w/case and shockmounts on eBay - even less used. They're cardoid and work well as overheads and on acoustic guitar. Still, I'm not aware of too many condensors that are really good at rejecting room noise. If that's your priority then dynamics are the ticket.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The MCA is the same capsule and circuit as the MXL 603. Just a different body.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Well i heard that cardioid is better than omni if your room has bad reflections. Ill check out the 603... Can anyone compare em to the karma k10?

Again i dont want large condenser, because my mic stands suck for big mics as overheads and i really want something small for tight spaces and travel.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Guys, Guys...

Your answer is here!

Red12 - 12 Gauge Microphones

At the risk of sounding lame, Number one with a bullet... or shell...
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGrrmmr View Post
Guys, Guys...

Your answer is here!

Omni and Cardioid, red and green.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Omni and Cardioid, red and green.
+1 on the 12GA Reds. For the money they can't be beat!! The omnis are probably better as OHs than the cardioids, and they work really well on acoustic guitar too. Little blondies are also great for not a lot more cash, but you may need to wait a bit longer for arrival (he's got lots on irons in the fire). Also, I'd stray away from the karmas - no wow factor whatsoever & they'll end up at the bottom of your duffle for eternity. You'll be MUCH happier with the 12GA Reds for the same cost.

Last edited by Analok; 2nd September 2011 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: added content
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by branbolio View Post
Hmm both large condensers....thinking i made a mistake selling my cad m179?

I really want something in a smaller size, due to size and space limitations.

Yep, bad move....

I understand the small part, but the M179 is very capable of cutting out the room. In fact, the continuously variable pattern is really helpful for this. With a little forethought in placement of every thing in the room, you can go somewhere between hypercard and figure 8 and cut out all the room.

...and it sounds good in all those patterns!

...and it's inexpensive!

$150 for a pair of SDC is tough. You'll have to troll the for sale boards and see what you can get.

-tINY

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, yeah $100 is kind of limiting for a pair of decent mics.
It's already been said but the MXL 603's aren't a bad option.
You can also mod them for next to nothing by swapping out 3 capacitors. They'll never sound as good as more expensive options, but they're perfectly usable!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I hadn't commented originally because I don't really know about much for $50 a mic. But since it's gone beyond that now, I've got to recommend the MXL603 as well. They're the only MXL mics I have that I haven't had any need to replace because they sound great. I've been using them as drum overheads and acoustic guitar for years. Every other mic in my collection has been upgraded - got into large diaphragm dynamics, upgraded my LDCs, etc, but the 603S have no problem at all holding their own with mics I have that cost multiple times the price. They're one of the few earlier MXL mics that DOESN'T have that evil harshness in the high end. They're very natural. As long as you don't put them close to cymbals (like most any mic) they won't sound strident, just natural. They've got a lot of low end for SDCs, so they work well for getting a great picture of the drums that only needs spot mics to supplement, but I've had cases where I didn't even need those.

I spent a while looking for new SDCs thinking that since I've upgraded everything else, maybe I should see what other options there are. You know what I found? No options I liked as much or better than the 603s. Wait scratch that, I finally found a pair that I plan to get in a while to be another option to have along with them and for when larger groups come in that I need more mics for. Know how much they cost? $1900 a pair. Even still, I don't want them to replace the 603s, just want another pair of SDCs for when I'm running out of mics. Really, I can't recommend the 603s enough. (or the 604s, which are the same but have a couple nice added features)
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Red 12!

Fast service, superprice, great sound.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analok View Post
+1 on the 12GA Reds. For the money they can't be beat!! The omnis are probably better as OHs than the cardioids, and they work really well on acoustic guitar too. Little blondies are also great for not a lot more cash, but you may need to wait a bit longer for arrival (he's got lots on irons in the fire). Also, I'd stray away from the karmas - no wow factor whatsoever & they'll end up at the bottom of your duffle for eternity. You'll be MUCH happier with the 12GA Reds for the same cost.
Have you compared the red and green both as overheads? Can you please explain the difference? I figured the greens would pickup less room reflections...anyone tried em on acoustic too?

Im considering the mxl 603s and the 12gauge mics.... But may go back to a single large condenser as a mono overhead and acoustic mic, i can get a blue bluebird for $150 or another cad179.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Consensus seems to be the MXLs which is heartening because a friend and I picked up a pair for around £60. Haven't got around to trying them out yet though.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guys, Guys...

Your answer is here!

Cool mics! Thanks for sharing this!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Well guys i just bought a pair of mxl 603's for $100 on ebay. Still wanna try the 12gauge mics one day....but the mxl seemed to be the one to go with for now (Never thought id buy another mxl product again)... But from listening to clips of both, they seemed to be a bit more detailed, clear and pristine somehow. Thanks again, and lets keep this thread going!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

For the price it seems you made a good choice, and it allows you to swap out elements for cardioid over omni in the future. Not as small as other SDCs, but not clumsy either. Keep those 12GA reds on your wish list though - they truly are that sweet!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Yea i feel happy with my purchase. I am curious though, have you tried the greens too? Do you have any reviews of the 12gauge mics?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

No experience with the green cardioids (they weren't being made when I bought the reds 6 mos ago). If you do a search within GS under "Name" & "Mic" you'll find the initial thread over the creator's fresh new design asking for product name ideas.
Try this: Help name my Microphone! . There's lots of testimony in there that give nothing but high acclaim, and it was from that thread that I decided to try them. To this day I feel they were one of my overall best mic purchases in terms of price, sound/design quality, exceptional service & support and just plain ol' coolness factor The guy is building them all by hand, selecting the supplies, packing/mailing them & keeping close ties with his client base. All by himself simply for the joy of it (surely not to get rich overnight). That stuff alone is priceless in my book! You can't get that from a third world churn em out fast as can conglomerate, right?? RIGHT!! There's just a little "warm & fuzzy" knowing you're using gear that's truly hand built, packed & delivered direct to you as well.

Last edited by Analok; 5th September 2011 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: added content
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm sure the Red12's are great mics for the money, and they look really badass too, but has anyone actually compared them to other inexpensive mics, like the Samson CO2 or Beyer Opus 53?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search