The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 Digital Converters
Old 24th March 2006
Gear interested

Soundtracs Topaz Project 8

Hey guys.

Soundtracs Topaz Project 8.

Does anybody have any opinions about this mixer? Good/bad.

I could buy one mint condition kinda cheap. I really wanna use a console for my little basic homestudio. Of course I know all the ups and downs that comes with mixing on a console instead of inside the DAW.

But what about this mixer? I´ve "heard" alot of good things, like really good EQ and nice pre:s and stuff.

Do you have any work expierience with this one?

well. yeah. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtracs Topaz Project 8-topaz2.jpg  
Old 25th March 2006
Lives for gear

hey, there she is

I really like mine. EQ is sweet and usable. The sound is punchy and warm. It has a slight character, but its a character I love.

I got mine really cheap as well. Best deal I did in ages

.. one thing - insert jacks on the board are wired back to front from the usual modern way - so you either have to reverse your leads, or do what I did and spend an afternoon with the soldering iron changing leads.
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Addict

Are the Line Inputs / Ouputs Balanced on the Topaz?

I just got my hands on a Topaz Project 8 24:8:2
and I'm wondering if the inputs / outputs are balanced? Do I need Balanced leads to get the most out of it?

and can anyone confirm else that the inserts are reverse to normal?
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

I have a 32:8 - I believe that yes, the inserts are backwards.

As for balanced/unbalanced - it's a mixed bag on the Topaz.. I don't have the manual in front of me (you can download it as a PDF from the Yahoo Soundtracs Topaz group), but if I recall - channel inputs and effects sends/returns are balanced, tape sends/returns are not. Pretty sure all the main section is balanced.

If you're not running long cables - I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh - and it's a cool board. Preamps are more than decent, eq is very nice - definitely worth it if it's not too much $$.
Old 30th May 2009
Gear Addict

how much would you say a 24:8:2 is worth?

How much would you say a Topaz Project 8 was worth. Its in rather good condition.

what is the market rate on that kind of Desk at the moment?

I worry abotu the Balanced thing cause if you are sending a Balanced signal into the desk (say from an Audio Interface) you will lose a few dB by using Unbalanced cables.
Old 30th May 2009
Deleted #8726
I have the Topaz MK1, not the Project 8.

It truly is my best investment in years. Incredible sound when proper mixed. Although I had many problems with the power supply but its fixed now and am much enjoying every mix made on the Topaz.

Old 30th May 2009
Gear interested

"what is the market rate on that kind of Desk at the moment?"

I bought mine in top condition with case for about 700€ two years ago. Without case it would be around 500€. At least, thats what i saw at ebay a few weeks ago.

I still think it was a good buy and its worth more than that.

One thing to consider is that it doesnt handle high input levels well.
Inputs are -10dBv. The tape outs too, although theres a mod to make tape out +4dBu.

You should consider getting some pad adaptors with it, because it has no pad switch.
Old 30th May 2009
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty_Slim! View Post
Hey guys.

Soundtracs Topaz Project 8.

Does anybody have any opinions about this mixer? Good/bad.

I could buy one mint condition kinda cheap. I really wanna use a console for my little basic homestudio. Of course I know all the ups and downs that comes with mixing on a console instead of inside the DAW.

But what about this mixer? I´ve "heard" alot of good things, like really good EQ and nice pre:s and stuff.

Do you have any work expierience with this one?

well. yeah. thanks!
It's a british board which competed with Allen & Heath/Soundcraft. It's no Neve of course but it's a helluva board as it was ~$6k retail with meter bridge. The preamps & Eq section are very strong and reportedly were borrowed from Topaz's bigger brothers. There is more than enough gain (Mic = +10db to +60db, Line = -20db to +30db).

A unique feature of this board is each channel has individual phase invert, +48V, Flip, & Bus buttons on all 24 channels. And, the Mic/Line/Tape/Insert Ins are all balanced - features generally found on more expensive boards.

Two drawbacks about the Topaz (which really aren't a big deal):

1. The Outs (Tape/Group/Main Mix/Monitor Mix/Aux/Studio/Control room) are not balanced.

2. The 8 busses are pre-assigned and CANNOT be changed, so you're stuck with:
Group 1 = Channels 1, 9, 17
Group 2 = Channels 2, 10, 18
Group 3 = Channels 3, 11, 19
Group 4 = Channels 4, 12, 20
Group 5 = Channels 5, 13, 21
Group 6 = Channels 6, 14, 22
Group 7 = Channels 7, 15, 23
Group 8 = Channels 8, 16, 24

Now, there is an EASY -10 to +4 mod you may need to do (simple solder blob for each channel). Harvey Gerst posted it on one of the boards so google it or PM him.

If you have any issues (I've only had one: a loose ground wire so when you pop the top off to check for the +4 mod, double check that ground wire. I Mine was loose which caused a faint irritating buzz. By using double lock washers (it's a beeotch to get your fingers in there but its doable) and a retighten, the board is now dead silent.

By the way, if you have any issues, contact Steve Magalnick - he's the expert on Soundtracs boards here in the States and a great guy:

Victory Technologies Inc.
Phone#: 305-944-2503
Email: [email protected]
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
I don't know what edition you are referring to, but I owned two of Topaz Project 8 24-8's and both of them allowed any of the first 24 channels to be sent to 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 plus the master L-R in pairs.

I had also modified my boards' Aux sections so that they were all post-fader, as I never used nor needed pre-fader Auxes.

B.
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steve,
you sure you're not referring to the floating buss architecture - where you can send group 1 to the direct out of channel 1/9/17, etc..?

On my 32:8 - I can send any channel to any of the 8 groups, but the floating group assignment works as you describe above (which is a very cool feature on the board, IMO)
"-)
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

I think that's what he was trying to say but got confused.

B.
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Addict

So About this +4 / -10 Mod?

I just picked one up from this guy who bought it new 10 years ago and hadnt' changed it at all.

So I assume it is stock (which it seems might be -10).

But i'm using it mostly for OTB summing with ADA provided by RME Hammerfall Multiface and a Behringer ADA8000.

I doin't really get this -10 / + 4 thing.
I mean if i do the +4 mod does that mean that the kind of base operating level will be or need to be hotter going in/out of the Mixer?

So as I'm doing DA->Mix->AD I guess its a concern not having them all matched right? noise etc..

Problem is, I think the RME is +4 cause I've been monitoring through the TAPE A and the RME signal is REALLY Hot on the Tape A inputs.

But then i think the Behringer ADA800 seems to be -10db?
BEHRINGER: ADA8000

I think I can change the RME Multiface to -10dB (if i open it up and flick some toggles)?
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Right guys, my old studio is dismantled and my new build is about to begin.
I've got 1x Focusrite Pro-26 IO and 1x Behringer ADA8000 and I'm probably going to buy and extra 2x Behringer ADA8200 to increase the I/O count to 32 channels.
Will be connected up to some Samson S-Patch balanced patchbays.

I've just picked up a 24 channel Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 which will also eventually be connected to the same patchbays.
(It doesn't have the input/output mod to change them from -10db to +4db.)

Some questions...

1. Do I actually need to perform this mod based on the audio interfaces I've got here? (mixer's outputs and inputs will both be wired to the patchbay)
2. Do I have to take care of whether I use balanced or unbalanced cables?
3. Is there anything else I need to take into account here?

Any help greatly appreciated as this particular field isn't exactly my forte.

Oh, and does anyone have a PDF scan of the manual please? Nightmare trying to track it down and I'm still waiting on access to the Yahoo groups that supposedly host it.

Cheers!

Last edited by binman_uk; 26th July 2018 at 05:29 PM..
Old 2nd August 2018
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh91311 View Post

The link seems to be broken (404), does anyone have a PDF manual for the Topaz Project 8 ?

I have been searching but could only manage the manual of a "Topaz Maxi" 24/32 and it is not the user manual but a service / technical manual.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Right guys, my old studio is dismantled and my new build is about to begin.
I've got 1x Focusrite Pro-26 IO and 1x Behringer ADA8000 and I'm probably going to buy and extra 2x Behringer ADA8200 to increase the I/O count to 32 channels.
Will be connected up to some Samson S-Patch balanced patchbays.

I've just picked up a 24 channel Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 which will also eventually be connected to the same patchbays.
(It doesn't have the input/output mod to change them from -10db to +4db.)

Some questions...

1. Do I actually need to perform this mod based on the audio interfaces I've got here? (mixer's outputs and inputs will both be wired to the patchbay)
2. Do I have to take care of whether I use balanced or unbalanced cables?
3. Is there anything else I need to take into account here?

Any help greatly appreciated as this particular field isn't exactly my forte.

Oh, and does anyone have a PDF scan of the manual please? Nightmare trying to track it down and I'm still waiting on access to the Yahoo groups that supposedly host it.

Cheers!
Probably you solved this long time ago but I will answer just in case.

I recently bought the same mixer and performed the mod. It was easy to do (maybe 2 hours including reading on how to do it) so I would recommend anyone to jump in and do it unless you need to interface with -10dB.

I am also looking for the manual - i applied to the Yahoo group but still no access. Do you have the PDF?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNan View Post
The link seems to be broken (404), does anyone have a PDF manual for the Topaz Project 8 ?

I have been searching but could only manage the manual of a "Topaz Maxi" 24/32 and it is not the user manual but a service / technical manual.
Check your PM.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search