The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GL3000 informations& comparaison with WZ16:2DX
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

GL3000 informations& comparaison with WZ16:2DX

Hello everyone, so I read everything I found on the forum about the Allen & Heath GL3000 and everything I could find on the Allen & Heath website but I still don't have enough informations about this mixer.
So what I'm asking here is: does anyone have pictures of the mixer good enough so that I can see and read what's on the front and the rear of it? Or does anyone have a link to the owner's manual?

Also, I want to buy a mixer (not too expensive) and I found 2 second hand mixers: A&H WZ16:2DX and A&H GL3000 16/8/2. They're about the same price (400-420€) and my lack of information about the GL keeps me from making a choice.
So I'm asking you here: Is the GL better in terms of quality (EQs, preamps, summing) than the WZ? Are they both similar?
(I know the WZ has built-in effects but no sub-groups and the GL has subgroups but no FX, but the question of the inputs, outputs, FX, auxes, subgroups, etc... is what I was looking to find in my 1st question (the Hello everyone blablabla part))

Thank you!
ArnaudB.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Hey anybody has an answer to one of my questions?
Thanks again
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

they would both be very similar

personally buses would be much more useful than cheap built in efx
Old 1st September 2011
I know both boards. The Mixwizard is actually a product line that replaced a GL version of the same thing. That is, Allen & Heath once made a GL series board that was basically the same thing as the MixWizard 16:2 and then they figured out that small foot print, rack mount boards had their own market and Allen & Heath introduced three variations of the MixWizard: the 16:2, the 12:2 and the 14:4.

My point being, the electronics inside the MixWizard SHOULD be very similar to the GL series boards. I do not know that definitively, but they are based upon the same product line. Of course there have been upgrades and model changes over the years. For instance, I have the MixWizard III 16:3, indicating that there were two other versions of the board proceeding what I own--you follow me?

Now, for capabilities... these are very flexible and well constructed boards. Each channel has its own direct line out. Each channel has its own on/ off switch for phantom power. There are six aux sends which can be very helpful--for example, you could send three different stereo monitor mixes to head phone amps via this set up in the studio.

All the channel strips have their own circuit card, unlike Mackie and other boards that have one giant circuit board inside the box. Why that matters is, when (and if ever) the MixWizard needs repairs, you can get it fixed. Another company's board with one big circuit board is difficult to work on and will most likely just get thrown out.

You can purchase an external power supply for the MixWizard if you choose.

There are a number of output choices for the board, including all the aux sends I mentioned, as well as a mono out, a stereo out and alternate stereo outputs.

The board has inserts on each channel as well as on the stereo outputs.

All in all, this is a pro board. We use them in the broadcast industry. Where I work we could buy anything, really, but we have Allen & Heath boards because they are good value and simply work so well.

Oh yes, and sound quality, which is always important... I have a pair of Presonus Firepods. I compared the mic preamps on the MixWizard to the Firepod preamps and the MixWizard blew the Firepod away. It was not even close. Anyone could notice the difference, no 'golden ears' required.

And do not end your search on just the 16:2 board. It sounds like sub groups would be of value to you. If that is true, keep an eye out for a 14:4 board, which is basically the same board but 14 channels and 4 sub groups into a stereo bus. You may not find them used because there simply are not as many of them out there. But it may be worth considering new. For around $1200 you could get one new... maybe $1400, I have not priced these things out for quite some time.

I think the next step up in boards would probably be a Toft board, one of the four or eight channel models (great eq) or else a Yamaha digital board (very clean with crazy amounts of routing possibilities).

I hope that was helpful for you. I thought for sure you could get all that on the Allen & Heath web site. If not, go to Sweetwater and look up the MixWizard boards. At the very least, they should have illustrations that will enlarge that you can check out and get some good visual information out of.

Good luck on finding the right board for yourself. Choose with care. You do not want to make the purchase more than once if you do not need to.

Oh yes, and one more thing about these boards--they do indeed retain their value on the used market, as I am sure you have already noticed.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you both for your answers and advices, they'll be very helpful to me!
Now I'll just go ahead and make the right choice

See you!
ArnaudB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search