The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Mr5 mkII vs Yamaha HS50M
Old 5th July 2011
Here for the gear

Mackie Mr5 mkII vs Yamaha HS50M

I was ready to buy Yamaha hs50m. A friend of mine told me to go for Mackie MR5 MKII. I need them for monitoring and mixing. It isn't possible to test the mackie's at all. I know that there aren't many differences at this low budget but if anyone knows the new version of Mr5 plz help the noob.
Old 5th July 2011
Gear Addict
Listen to your friend(this time at least). Not sure how well the MR5 series 2 perform but anything is better than those HS50s which are bright-harsh-forward in the mids-highs and have no real bass of any kind-kinda like a cheap Sony boombox almost. And people dont listen to those much anymore-they probably listen on worse like logitech 2 piece systems and lotsa earbuds.

I'd compare-go listen to M-Audio BX5a deluxes to the MR5II and see how they compare-I prefered the M-Audios myself for the detail and clarity in the mids wheresas the Mackies might have had a touch better bass response but both sets still need either a sub or cans for checking bass with. Even better-if you have the space maybe look at the CX8 which is like half off right now-$400/pair-though the BX8s can be had for $300 during GC sales. In the next price bracket would be the amazing KRK VXT6/8s-skip the Rokit line though.
Old 6th July 2011
Here for the gear

I'm at a point where I have to make the same decision. So I would be also very interested in how those two monitors compare to eachother.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

The MR5 I sounds more rounded to me, but that doesn't mean they are great for mixing (cough NS10 example cough). I was recently looking at the first MR5 and the HS50. To me, the bass on the MR5 was more there, but less tight than the 50. I kinda prefer tighter bass. EITHER should work great for you once you have listened to enough material, and learned the feel of your new monitors. The other thing I liked about the HS50 was the 4 room setting switches on the back compared to the Mackie's 2 settings. Valuable for custom tuning in bad rooms or less then spectacular environments. The Mackie IS FINE, I'm not knocking it in any way... just saying what I, personally, found to be advantages in the 50s. And the 50s are not harsh on my ears.

And to show every one is different, I really didn't care for the M-Audio BX8s. Mixed on a pair for about 2 years in a friend's place. I felt they were not clear, and too loosey boomy in the bass for me.
Old 6th July 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for your help. My problem is that when i tested hs50m i found them better than bx5a, krk 5'. I liked mids and highs for the money and i disliked the lack of bass. Now i can buy Mr5 MKII at the same price (got i nice deal) while they aren't available for testing. There is only 1 review of MKII (http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/ma...ew/index1.html) and if you read about the changes, it's a different monitor than the old one. Maybe it sounds better (who knows?) but can someone buy a monitor without testing it at all?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

On their own, HS50s aren't bad. Not amazing in the lower frequencies, but few 5" monitors are.

I have the HS80s and they are a little better in the bottom end, but not much. I'm starting to think that you really need a sub with the HS series. I was thinking of selling my HS80 though and getting a pair of B3031As... Reviews of the b30301as are great and if you ignore the Behringer name on them, then IMHO they are slightly better than the HS80s and cost over €150 less (per pair)!
I had a chance to A/B them against my HS80s, albeit in a different room, and I think I preferred the b30301as. Than again, I'm going to try to borrow them from my friend (he got the b3031as last week) and test them in my room. Really give them a work over and see about switching.

Anyways, if you want to get the most out of the HS50s, couple them with the Yamaha HS10w subwoofer. It really gives you a great spectrum reference and will give you better mixes.
Depends on how comfortable you or your room is with mixing with a sub though.

I tried and tested a pair of BX8As before (8" version of the BX5As) and all I found was that the bass was exhaggerated quite a bit. Good monitors if you do electronic / trance music, not great for anything else.

TBH, you can get great monitors for less money these days, but alot of their apparent "effect" on your music is how they respond in your room and more importantly, how you compensate for their effects. I've heard great mixes done with a pair of Rokit 6s and b3031as which are relatively cheap, but the mixer knew what they were doing and they know their room well.
I could give you a pair of €4000 monitors and a pair of €400 monitors, not tell you which was which, and you could prefer the €400 over the €4000 ones, or vice-versa. Monitor choice is very subjective and dependent on your mixing circumstances and room. It shouldn't be about snobbery or a "higer price = better" mentality.

My €0.02....
YMMV....
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

The MR5 MkII sound completely different than the original MR5 (which is a good thing!), and, in my opinion MUCH better than the HS50M. The highs are nowhere near as "harsh", and they seem to go considerably lower.
Old 6th July 2011
Here for the gear

Did you have the chance to test the mackie's? I can't find reviews and I need advise from people that have tested them.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Look at it this way: Mackie has rarely (ever??) put out a stinker product. Yamaha hasn't either. Their reputations depend on this. Behringer.... meh..... not quite as lucky....

anyway, if after all the Research & Design was done at the Mackie house and the MKII was WORSE than the first one, do you think they would release the product anyway, claiming it is a new generation? With internet reviews so immediate and honest (mostly, like here), it would be caught and shot down within minutes of release, and they probably would not even be sellable.

I have not HEARD the new MKII, but would be confident in their purchase KNOWING at this price range, these are not WestLakes, Focals, Genelec etc etc, but a decent, very usable monitor.

Good luck!
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

I've been thinking about getting a set of MR5 MK2's as well. I found 1 review so far.

Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor Review | Mix Author Michael Cooper Reviews Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor

I cant make my mind up to go for a set of these or just save a bit longer & go for:

Focal CMS 40
Adam A3X
Adam A5X
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy2000 View Post
I've been thinking about getting a set of MR5 MK2's as well. I found 1 review so far.

Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor Review | Mix Author Michael Cooper Reviews Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor

I cant make my mind up to go for a set of these or just save a bit longer & go for:

Focal CMS 40
Adam A3X
Adam A5X
If the original ADAM A7's and my own CMS65's are representative for the CMS40 and the A5X, then both are most likely in a higher league than the MR5's from Mackie.
I tested the original MR5's; and while I definitely preferred them over the HS50M's (which are indeed too harsh, thin and forward), the Mackies lacked some detail in the low end and high end (too smooth/clouded).
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Nut

i have the hs50m and must say i really like them,before that i mixed only on my headphones so if you get the hs50m i would advice you to atleast get a decent pair of headphones too.just to help you check the bottomend

im gonna save up for a sub for the hs50m

but at this point i really like them
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Head

I've got a pair of A7x's; they're great IMO.

Stay away from B3031A's and all the other similar models from them- Utter rubbish. I've still got a pair that I actually haven't got around to selling; Not sure if I want to burden somebody with them! They sound Floppy, boomy and so muddy I'd rather mix with Laptop speakers! (I'm joking of course about the Laptop speakers, but FWIW don't forget to use things like a car stereo, home stereo system, Ipods etc. as references to your mix as this is how most people listen to music on nowadays.)

You don't need the worlds most expensive monitors to make a good mix. Just learn how yours sound, what ever you go with, and how they relate to normal stereo players and Ipods.
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Focal CMS 40
Adam A3X
Adam A5X

Id go for the A5x's out of them, I think they will give you better bottom end? It will be missing in the CMS 40's for sure as they are quite a flat sounding monitor. (Not sure about the 65's though)
Old 9th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
Id go for the A5x's out of them, I think they will give you better bottom end? It will be missing in the CMS 40's for sure as they are quite a flat sounding monitor. (Not sure about the 65's though)
Well I've decided to hold out for a while & go for a more quality set instead of the MR5s, It'll probably be the A5X's or CMS 40's. Unfortunately there's nowhere near me to A/B them so I have to go on reviews & the good advice from forums like GS. I've spoken to a couple of people from different UK based web stores, one was really pushing the Genelec 8020B's & actually said they'd been advising against buying anything from Adam because of their poor quality control & a high volume of returns.

I've heard the CMS 40's are supposed to surprisingly good in the bass department for there size. I'd love to go for something like the CMS 65's or even 50's but that's going way out of my budget.

One other small set of monitors I was looking at were the KRK VXT4's, anyone got any opinions on those?
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear
Really hard to know which ones you will like the most, very personal thing.

Recently got CMS 50's but was not happy with their overall sound especially because they lacked some bottom end when I was expecting quite a bit more, (Very flat sound) so traded them in for A7x's and now I have the perfect sounding monitor for my personal needs.

You'll most likely have to bite the bullet on a set and hope you like them, but if you don't make sure you have the option to trade them in.

You should also look at www.andertons.co.uk/ , very good store and they will price match (or better it) then any other stores. They also have a 30 day return warranty where you can trade in a product for something different, they will arrange the courier etc, new product on arrival of their courier picking up the product your trading in, usually just takes 1 day.

You can also get HS80's or Samson Rubicon R6a in your price range which I would seriously consider both, especially because they posses allot more bottom end then the monitors your looking at and overall offer more bang for their buck.
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear

MR5MK2

I just added the MR5MK2's to my arsenal, joining my Dynaudio BM5a's. I like these new Mackies very much now that I've stuffed a pair of sweat socks (sans sweat) into the rear-firing bass ports (I really don't love the idea of the ports in the back which is designed to "improve" the low-end output.)

I don't want enhanced low-end, I want the truth! Now with the ports "plugged", I feel things are much closer to the truth (I have no choice but to position them close to a wall behind them). They do a very nice job at all volume levels and at a very low volume (which is how I like to mix most of the time) they retain the stereo image quite well.

Overall, I like these monitors alot now, and when you consider the price of a pair, It would be hard to believe there's a better value out there in a powered monitor.
Old 9th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Really hard to know which ones you will like the most, very personal thing.

Recently got CMS 50's but was not happy with their overall sound especially because they lacked some bottom end when I was expecting quite a bit more, (Very flat sound) so traded them in for A7x's and now I have the perfect sounding monitor for my personal needs.

You'll most likely have to bite the bullet on a set and hope you like them, but if you don't make sure you have the option to trade them in.

You should also look at www.andertons.co.uk/ , very good store and they will price match (or better it) then any other stores. They also have a 30 day return warranty where you can trade in a product for something different, they will arrange the courier etc, new product on arrival of their courier picking up the product your trading in, usually just takes 1 day.

You can also get HS80's or Samson Rubicon R6a in your price range which I would seriously consider both, especially because they posses allot more bottom end then the monitors your looking at and overall offer more bang for their buck.
I've checked out Andertons, even spoke to one of their guys on the phone who was very helpful. I'm trying to stay away from 8" mons, the B2031p's I'm using now are 8" & I find them a bit too bass heavy for the room I'm in & I might actually be moving to a smaller room in the near future. My absolute max budget is about £600 so that rules out A7x's & Xmas 50's. So I'm stuck between the Xmas 40's & A5x's. I spoke to a guy from gak.co.uk & he pretty much told me to stay clear of anything from Adams due to quality control issues, & that Adams were more geared towards acoustic music ( I'm doing anything from heavy metal to DnB/Dubstep) & that's kinda putting me of buying Adams.

How are you finding your A7x's so far, have you heard much about Adams poor quality control & what do think about the gak guy saying they're more geared towards acoustic music?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear
I find the A7x's pretty amazing really. I do mostly electronic music, bass heavy such as dubstep, techno breakbeat, dnb etc and they really come to their own in this genre. Very clean and clear top end, with a very smooth and good bass response and nice mid range! And these ARE LOUD, not even got the volume near quarter way yet, and that's all that's needed, very powerful but even after a 8 hour session I get no ear fatigue at all, very natural sound overall, allot more open then the CMS 50's.

So far no issue's and they do come with a 5 year warranty compared to 2 year warranty with the Focal's which was another reason for me trading the CMS 50's for the A7X's. Also remember that Focal have had issue's with psu humming etc. I did allot of research on both Focal and Adams and I found a few reports from both about issue's, but it seems to be in the past with past supplies/models as Focal's for me seemed ok and so far no issue's with the Adams, and this is what andertons reported to me also, that they had no problems with either monitor from any customers. So I would not worry about these reports of quality control issue's.

I found the focal's quite hard to work with in this genre, especially correcting hi hats as they seemed quite distant on the CMS 50's, also on the lower end I found it quite hard to correct bass/kick frequencies to get them right, something I find very easy on these A7x's. Also after 4 hour + sessions on the CMS 50's I started to get ear fatigue which was another big reason for taking them back. They also lacked overall output compared to the A7x's, yes the Adams on specs have more wattage / bass response etc but they was the same price and the CMS 65's where £250 more expensive, though the amps had a very warm sound on the CMS's.

The CMS 50's had a very flat and even sound, which is of course what allot of people look for but really did not suit me or the genre I work with personally. So I checked out some Jazz/Soul/Spoken stuff and I thought the CMS's really come to their own in this genre, vocal's where very natural and clear, and bottom end smooth, so in my experience the focals where better at more acoustic music then bass heavy electronic music, but the Adams so far seem good at both. Am sure the CMS 65's would have been allot different but their price was to high to consider and they have very similar specs to the A7x's.

I would say the general stereo image on both monitors was very even. But overall I much prefer the sound of the Adams. The Focal's need more break in time though, at least 20/30 hours before they start to sound how they should, I gave the CMS 50's around 60 hours of play time before judging and trading as time was running out on my 30 day trade in with andertons. The Adam's break in time seems very fast as they sounded good right out the bat, and opened up more as the hours went by.

That's my personal experience on the CMS 50 / A7x's anyway, opinions and experiences may vary. But overall I was disappointed with the Focal CMS 50's as I got them based on all the praise they get on here and all over the net, which just goes to show only you know what sound you need from a monitor by hearing them, but I hope my experience helps in some way.
Old 9th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's my personal experience on the CMS 50 / A7x's anyway, opinions and experiences may vary. But overall I was disappointed with the Focal CMS 50's as I got them based on all the praise they get on here and all over the net, which just goes to show only you know what sound you need from a monitor by hearing them, but I hope my experience helps in some way.
Thanks Jomox, you've been very helpful. It's great that Adams offers a 5 year warranty plus I might need that extra bit of low end the A5X's offer over the CMS 40's for the genre of music I'm producing. I'm sure the A5X's will offer much more clarity than I'm getting at the minute with Behringer B2031P's powered by a Marantz Integrated Stereo Amp.

Thanks again Jomox!
Old 9th July 2011
Lives for gear
No Problem.

I know you wont be disappointed in the A5x's and I just feel you will lack to much with the CMS 40's on the lower end especially and the overall out put on the CMS 40's could be to low, though the CMS 50's may have suited your room etc well and could work for you, but they are allot more pricey.

The A5x's have flexibility so you can adjust them wit the HI and Low Shelf filters. They will have enough bottom end looking at the specs as they are similar it spec to my Samson Rubicon R5A's and they offer enough low end for smaller rooms, though the Adams will sound better. You may feel they sound to bright at the top end as that's how some feel but you can easy fix this with the HI Shelf, for me the balance on the A7x's is perfect with all the shelfs set to flat, but I just love Ribbon Tweeter's and their natural sharp but clean sound.

One of the most impressive things you will notice straight away is the stereo image and the extreme details a good set of monitors produce, it blows you away especially coming from something more lower end, you will hear music you listen to and some of your old mixes in new light especially concerning the general stereo image and all the fine details the new monitors will pick up.
Old 9th July 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks guys. My Mackie's are on their way.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Head

Funny. I just bought a pair of these today (MR5 MK2) at Guitar Center, on sale for $300 a pair.
Old 13th July 2011
Here for the gear

@Mangr please tell us how you like the mk2 and how they compare to the yamahas hs50m's. Thanks.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Nut

Mackie MR5MK2 vs JBL LSR 2325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
@Mangr please tell us how you like the mk2 and how they compare to the yamahas hs50m's. Thanks.

I'd like to here more opinions on the MRMK2 series too. I was gonna save a bit more cash & maybe get a set of Adam A5X's but I've hit a bit of a financial road block were studio equipment is concerned (I cant justify spending about £600 on a set of monitors to my other half especially since I already recently spent about £250 on a NI Komplete Audio 6) I suppose she does have a point since I'm not really making any money out this whole music malarkey.........yet .

So I've had to reduce my budget to around the £300-£350 mark. I have heard some good things about the MrMk2 series they're supposed to be a lot better than the previous versions, but because I've no way of checking them out (or any other half decent monitor for that matter) I have to go on what I can find out on the interwebs. I've been looking at the JBL LSR2325P's as well, they've been getting a lot of praise online too. There's a bit of a slim chance I might be able to get a pair of Adam A5's for about £360 but I don't know if they'll still be around when I finally have enough cash stashed away for them.

So any opinions or thoughts on Mackie MR5MK2 vs JBL LSR2325 would be much appreciated.
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

Fwiw you can get some MSP5s from GAK for £400 with free vibropads.
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'd like to here more opinions on the MRMK2 series too. I was gonna save a bit more cash & maybe get a set of Adam A5X's but I've hit a bit of a financial road block were studio equipment is concerned (I cant justify spending about £600 on a set of monitors to my other half especially since I already recently spent about £250 on a NI Komplete Audio 6) I suppose she does have a point since I'm not really making any money out this whole music malarkey.........yet .

So I've had to reduce my budget to around the £300-£350 mark. I have heard some good things about the MrMk2 series they're supposed to be a lot better than the previous versions, but because I've no way of checking them out (or any other half decent monitor for that matter) I have to go on what I can find out on the interwebs. I've been looking at the JBL LSR2325P's as well, they've been getting a lot of praise online too. There's a bit of a slim chance I might be able to get a pair of Adam A5's for about £360 but I don't know if they'll still be around when I finally have enough cash stashed away for them.

So any opinions or thoughts on Mackie MR5MK2 vs JBL LSR2325 would be much appreciated.
Id take a look at the Samson Rubicon R6a, very similar sound to the Adam's, and quite flat overall. Best monitor for me under £500, something else to consider as youll get a sound close to the adams which is very clean and clear at the top while having a nice smooth low end with good mids. Very natural sound also. I own the R5a and A7x's, and friend has the R6a's so can give more feedback if needed. (Also had some Focals for a lil while)

Samson Rubicon 5A & 6A
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Fwiw you can get some MSP5s from GAK for £400 with free vibropads.
ac

I really don't wanna be going up to £400 pound, then you start saying to yourself "I might as well go that extra 50 for those other one, Ahh why not stretch it to £500 for..............." Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Id take a look at the Samson Rubicon R6a, very similar sound to the Adam's, and quite flat overall. Best monitor for me under £500, something else to consider as youll get a sound close to the adams which is very clean and clear at the top while having a nice smooth low end with good mids. Very natural sound also. I own the R5a and A7x's, and friend has the R6a's so can give more feedback if needed. (Also had some Focals for a lil while)

Samson Rubicon 5A & 6A
I think If I'm was to go for ribbon speaker I'd rather stick to Adams but unfortunately I cant afford them (unless those Adam A5s I mentioned earlier are still around when I've got the funds) but there are other budget ribbon monitors to consider like Prodipe Pro 5 Ribbons & Behringer B3030A's. I've noticed that the rubicons are getting pretty hard to get a hold off, Thomann aren't getting them back in until the end of August!

Ribbons aside though, my mind was about 75% made up to go for the JBL LSR2325P's but I keep coming back to the Mackie MR5MK2's, I've found some very favorable praise & reviews for the JBL LSR 2300 series but I'm still intrigued to find out more about the MR5MK2's, they can be got for under £300 which will definitely keep the other half happy. There's not too many reviews yet because they're so new

But Here's what I've found so far:

DreamWare Computers / Mackie MR8 MK2 Reference Monitors

This is a video review for the MR8 MK2, they seem to really like them.

Sonic LAB: Mackie MR8 MK2 Studio Monitors, Tweaked and revoiced (Video) -Sonicstate.com
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Man it's so hard to choose monitors without actually hearing them. Imho! The next best thing is to get them from somewhere like dv or dolphin with the 30 day grace period so you can swap them if you're not happy. They sort out the couriers and I think they even deliver the new monitors when they collect the others.

The Fostex pm1 mkIIs apparently have good detail, similar to hs but less harsh...
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Man it's so hard to choose monitors without actually hearing them. Imho! The next best thing is to get them from somewhere like dv or dolphin with the 30 day grace period so you can swap them if you're not happy. They sort out the couriers and I think they even deliver the new monitors when they collect the others.

The Fostex pm1 mkIIs apparently have good detail, similar to hs but less harsh...
Wanna hear a joke, i even don't have a store in MY city where i can buy studio equipment. So i need to make my purchases based on recommendations and reviews. Yeha i know it sucks, i'll never be able to go to the candy shop myself.
📝 Reply