The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Mr5 mkII vs Yamaha HS50M
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Nut
 
Peevy2000's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Man it's so hard to choose monitors without actually hearing them. Imho! The next best thing is to get them from somewhere like dv or dolphin with the 30 day grace period so you can swap them if you're not happy. They sort out the couriers and I think they even deliver the new monitors when they collect the others.

The Fostex pm1 mkIIs apparently have good detail, similar to hs but less harsh...
Thats what I'll do, I'll maybe checkout the Mackies first. I'll give them a few days get used to them & If I don't like them, swap the for the JBL's.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Wanna hear a joke, i even don't have a store in MY city where i can buy studio equipment. So i need to make my purchases based on recommendations and reviews. Yeha i know it sucks, i'll never be able to go to the candy shop myself.
I know how you feel, my local music store pretty much exclusively sells westfield guitars & Cube amps!! There's no chance of checking out studio monitors there. Even if I travel about 35 miles down the road to Belfast, the only thing I've seen there is KRK Rokits.

I found another Review of the MR5MK2's

Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor Review | Mix Author Michael Cooper Reviews Mackie MR5MK2 Active Studio Monitor

Haven't heard anything bad about them yet.
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Wanna hear a joke, i even don't have a store in MY city where i can buy studio equipment. So i need to make my purchases based on recommendations and reviews. Yeha i know it sucks, i'll never be able to go to the candy shop myself.
Where do you live?
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Nut
 
Peevy2000's Avatar
 

Be very......QUIET!!!!

SSShhhhh!!! Don't want the wife to hear....I couldn't resist, I ordered the Adam A5X's. I just know I'd be kicking myself in a few months for not just going for them in the first place.

No seriously she doesn't mind.....too much.
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Gdupproductions's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Where do you live?
Belgium =/
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy2000 View Post
SSShhhhh!!! Don't want the wife to hear....I couldn't resist, I ordered the Adam A5X's. I just know I'd be kicking myself in a few months for not just going for them in the first place.

No seriously she doesn't mind.....too much.
You must have an understanding wife. heh
Old 18th July 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Belgium =/
I couldn't see your location when I posted. I thought europe was the hub of music technology. heh

Sent from my U20i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Gdupproductions's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
I couldn't see your location when I posted. I thought europe was the hub of music technology. heh

Sent from my U20i using Gearslutz.com App
Yeah in Germany are 2 giant music stores where i order my stuff from.
But i can never test things :'(....sh*t, i would even sleep on the parking lot with a nice camping tent and a flashlight ;D '' Window shopping from a distance''.
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Yeah in Germany are 2 giant music stores where i order my stuff from.
But i can never test things :'(....sh*t, i would even sleep on the parking lot with a nice camping tent and a flashlight ;D '' Window shopping from a distance''.
I don't think the gendarmerie would look too favourably on that.

Is one of them Musikhaus Kirstein? I nearly bought some monitors from them a few months back cause they had a 30 day grace period but decided against in the end cause return shipping would have been too expensive.
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Nut
 
Peevy2000's Avatar
 

Still waiting on my A5x's, UPS are so bloody slowww. Looks like they won't be here until tomorrow now. This is the first time I've had a delivery from UK mainland take more than 24 hours, Come on UPS get your finger out!

Gonna get some acoustic treatment going in my room too just for good measure. When I get the A5x's I'll get back to y'all & let you know what I think, probably better to give my ears time to adjust first.
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Gdupproductions's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
I don't think the gendarmerie would look too favourably on that.

Is one of them Musikhaus Kirstein? I nearly bought some monitors from them a few months back cause they had a 30 day grace period but decided against in the end cause return shipping would have been too expensive.
No. The stores i order from also have 30 days grace, shipping wil be done on their costs etc etc....GREAT SERVICE.
Old 20th July 2011 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy2000 View Post

I think If I'm was to go for ribbon speaker I'd rather stick to Adams but unfortunately I cant afford them (unless those Adam A5s I mentioned earlier are still around when I've got the funds) but there are other budget ribbon monitors to consider like Prodipe Pro 5 Ribbons & Behringer B3030A's. I've noticed that the rubicons are getting pretty hard to get a hold off, Thomann aren't getting them back in until the end of August!
Sorry I thought I was on a different topic and quoting a different person, just realised been on this thread already before lol.

Anyway good luck with your new monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy2000 View Post

Gonna get some acoustic treatment going in my room too just for good measure. When I get the A5x's I'll get back to y'all & let you know what I think, probably better to give my ears time to adjust first.
Give them a little breaking in time before judging properly. My experience my A7x's did not need as much break in time as say Focal, but they do need a bit, so just go gentle with them at first with some quite bass heavy music, don't push them at all (you won't need to as these have massive output) give them a couple of days as the bottom end will open up and sound more smooth, and the ribbon tweeters will sound more clean as the hours go by.

Though as said before you may find them a little to bright at the top end (you may want to consider sitting a little away from them instead of really close) but you can adjust this with the hi shelf filter, and set this to your taste, then your good to go. But you will need a few days to adjust and maybe tweak them to your taste.
Old 22nd August 2011 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

BUMP!

Did anyone else compared them ?
Old 23rd August 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

I listened to the MR5 mkiis when i got my hs80ms and i thought they sounded quite muddy, i read some stellar reviews since then so i'd have to go back and have another listen. If the hs50m is brighter than the hs80m then you might find it too aggressive, a few have said they are harsher...
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
I listened to the MR5 mkiis when i got my hs80ms and i thought they sounded quite muddy, i read some stellar reviews since then so i'd have to go back and have another listen. If the hs50m is brighter than the hs80m then you might find it too aggressive, a few have said they are harsher...

Alright.

If you go to listen to them again,in comparison to the hs50m I would be verry happy if you write your opinion since I cant compare them myself :-)
Old 23rd August 2011 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
I listened to the MR5 mkiis when i got my hs80ms and i thought they sounded quite muddy, i read some stellar reviews since then so i'd have to go back and have another listen. If the hs50m is brighter than the hs80m then you might find it too aggressive, a few have said they are harsher...
I owned them and send them back a week later because they were so muddy and I missed lots of detail. Also I found the high end to smooth for my taste. I am getting a pair of Yamaha msp5 today.
Old 23rd August 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Jovas's Avatar
Like someone else on this forum told me, threat the room and get the HS80's.

I know I did, and they are awesome speakers for mixing. Don't listen to the low end HS80 bashers, they also have great bass response, just threat the damn room..
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
  #47
You will be happy with Focal CMS 65. It seems that the HS80 have a hipped bass and highs.
Old 26th August 2011 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
You will be happy with Focal CMS 65. It seems that the HS80 have a hipped bass and highs.

He might not be happy with the CMS65, such as he might not be happy if he got the HS50's or MR5 or whatever monitor.

All a matter of taste, try before you buy as you could miss out on something that will enable you to mix much easier then something you do end up getting, or just not having a monitor that fits your personal needs.
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWNDIRTY View Post
Alright.

If you go to listen to them again,in comparison to the hs50m I would be verry happy if you write your opinion since I cant compare them myself :-)
I had a quick listen to the hs50s and thought they sounded pretty good, more bass than i expected, they were actually connected to a moog prodigy.

I didn't have much time to compare to both but Syliano has the same opinion after owning some which totally goes against the reviews i've read.

Tbh i prefer to go on personal experience than reviews or opinions, even stuff i read on GS! This is probably the best source of info on the web, just take things you read online with a grain of salt innit? heh

If you can't demo yerself the best thing to do is get a pair from a place with a grace period so you can return them if you don't like them. Honestly monitors are such a personal thing. I chose the hs80m cause it has much better midrange resolution than most other budget monitors and it will make a good second reference if/when i upgrade.
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox View Post
He might not be happy with the CMS65, such as he might not be happy if he got the HS50's or MR5 or whatever monitor.

All a matter of taste, try before you buy as you could miss out on something that will enable you to mix much easier then something you do end up getting, or just not having a monitor that fits your personal needs.
It would be a matter of taste if all monitors translate great to all other systems. Now if you like monitors that will sound great in your room but you waste a lot of time trying to figure out why your mixes don't translate to other systems then go for it, there are so many to choose from, but if you want monitors that will help you achieve great mixes, than you just have to wait until you have the budget for great monitors.
You had me little bit worried about the humming so I soon as I got them I hocked them up and I put my ear right against it but I found no humming whatsoever. Now Woooow my mixes are translating to clubs, the car and other systems the way it should be, I should have done this a long time ago.
Old 27th August 2011
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Do the MKI and MKII Mackies look different? How do you tell them apart?
Old 27th August 2011
  #52
Here for the gear
 
sozaye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr View Post
I was ready to buy Yamaha hs50m. A friend of mine told me to go for Mackie MR5 MKII. I need them for monitoring and mixing. It isn't possible to test the mackie's at all. I know that there aren't many differences at this low budget but if anyone knows the new version of Mr5 plz help the noob.
Today at the Guitar Center in Hollywood Listening to 50 Cents "Disco Inferno" here is what I heard.

Mackie MR5 MkII - Highs were not clear. Mids were dipped and bass was Exaggerated.

Yamaha HS50- Highs were flat which is (good) and mids present but sounded boxy, also it felt like a whole frequency range was missing couldnt feel the track at all. The yamahas sounded almost like a clock radio (only after A/Bing them with the (Tannoys)

KrK rokit 5s and 6s- Sounded similar to the Mackies just with more mid range but not detailed of crisp.

Tannoy Reveal 501A - Wow!!!! Bass was smooth, the mids were exellent, the song (Disco Inferno) poped out at me heard all the sibalance and detail in the mastered song. The highs were a bit bright, im sure with hitting the switch on the back would solve this problem.

Advice listen for yourself, I dont see how you can get a good mix on the yamahas when you cant hear some of the stuff that is there. . I own the 1st Gen MR5s and they still lack the detail the Tannoy 501As reveal.

Hope this helps..
Old 29th August 2011 | Show parent
  #53
I have the MR5's and for what I need in a small work area - they are great. Very enjoyable. I've mixed on an older pair of tannoys for years - the mr5's are similar. I'm taking the time to really learn these and they will translate well here after that. I've played several previous mixes through these speakers and the detail is revealing for their size. For a 5 inch speaker, the bass is nice - maybe a little exaggerated, but I can work with these fine. Mids and highs are clear with plenty of detail for this $level of monitor. The important part of this process is to learn your speakers!

Once I decided to purchase, I found them for 99/per at musician's friend which was a nice surprise, actually it's almost nuts. So far, I'm impressed. I think these speakers could easily compete with the group of monitors at the next price rung.
Old 12th October 2011 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
I have the MR5's and for what I need in a small work area - they are great. Very enjoyable. I've mixed on an older pair of tannoys for years - the mr5's are similar. I'm taking the time to really learn these and they will translate well here after that. I've played several previous mixes through these speakers and the detail is revealing for their size. For a 5 inch speaker, the bass is nice - maybe a little exaggerated, but I can work with these fine. Mids and highs are clear with plenty of detail for this $level of monitor. The important part of this process is to learn your speakers!

Once I decided to purchase, I found them for 99/per at musician's friend which was a nice surprise, actually it's almost nuts. So far, I'm impressed. I think these speakers could easily compete with the group of monitors at the next price rung.
MR5's aren't a 5" speaker though, they have 5.25" woofers. Do you think that extra quarter inch makes all the difference in pumping out more bass?
Old 12th October 2011 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
88fingerz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_farmer View Post
MR5's aren't a 5" speaker though, they have 5.25" woofers. Do you think that extra quarter inch makes all the difference in pumping out more bass?
It might but the rear ports certainly do.
Old 3rd November 2011
  #56
Here for the gear
 

mackie mr5 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr View Post
I was ready to buy Yamaha hs50m. A friend of mine told me to go for Mackie MR5 MKII. I need them for monitoring and mixing. It isn't possible to test the mackie's at all. I know that there aren't many differences at this low budget but if anyone knows the new version of Mr5 plz help the noob.
i just sold my yamahas hs50m and bought my self the mackie mr5 mk2 and they sound crystal clear great for mixing
Old 3rd November 2011
  #57
Here for the gear
 

mackie mr5 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr View Post
I was ready to buy Yamaha hs50m. A friend of mine told me to go for Mackie MR5 MKII. I need them for monitoring and mixing. It isn't possible to test the mackie's at all. I know that there aren't many differences at this low budget but if anyone knows the new version of Mr5 plz help the noob.
i just sold my yamahas hs50m and bought my self the mackie mr5 mk2 and they sound crystal clear great for mixing you wont regret getting this monitors at all trust me yamahas hs50m stay behind with this new bad boys trust me i love them hope this helps you decide.

swag musik studios
Old 3rd November 2011 | Show parent
  #58
I was really excited about the prospect of the MR5 MkII when they first came out but when I tried them out in the store I wasn't a fan at all.

I ended up buying the HS50s used and I couldn't be happier.

I don't understand all the complaints about the HS50s lack of bass (I get that it doesn't go as low as some people want, but what's there is definitely present).

I thought the MR5s have an over hyped woofy sounding bass whereas the HS50s had a bass that sounded clear and accurate without drowning out the rest of the mix.

FWIW and for your reference the main tracks I was using to test the monitors were the first couple from Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light," Bad Religion's "The Empire Strikes First" and some random metal songs.

I like a bass that's clearly audible but not dominating and I feel like it's easier to get that with the HS50s

Final caveat: this is all just my opinion
Old 3rd November 2011
  #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr View Post
I was ready to buy Yamaha hs50m. A friend of mine told me to go for Mackie MR5 MKII. I need them for monitoring and mixing. It isn't possible to test the mackie's at all. I know that there aren't many differences at this low budget but if anyone knows the new version of Mr5 plz help the noob.
What's the difference between the MR5 version and the MR5 MKII version?
Old 30th November 2011
  #60
Here for the gear
 

Mackie MR2 MKII for sure!. i went to the music store in copenhagen. Tested the Yamaha hs50, a krk50, mackie mr5 mkII and the new bx5. The Mackie MR2 MKII, was the only speakers, able to pull some bass. The other sets require a subwoofer for even thinking about being able to mix or master the lower sections. I never had any experience on monitors before, and i am so glad that i checked it by my own ear. I was looking at the HS80 as well, but the storekeeper even said he thought them as having some low mids. Not optional for studio editing. I can only recommend the Mackie. You have to hear em out.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 109 views: 47734
Avatar for Den
Den 1st April 2013
replies: 98 views: 12466
Avatar for DR Music
DR Music 21st December 2011
replies: 139 views: 26740
Avatar for Tathefinest
Tathefinest 14th October 2020
replies: 2 views: 1022
Avatar for nickdixon
nickdixon 31st March 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump