The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any recent opinions regarding M Audio DSM Monitors?
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Not even a wee little bit.
Just thought I'd check. Same here.
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Just thought I'd check. Same here.
Ever ask a wallflower to dance and find out you lucked into something special? That's kinda how I feel.
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
I really don't see how anyone could have buyers remorse unless they had utterly ridiculous expectations.

These are good speakers, period.

I like what they are - balanced, even, honest speakers that can flat out kick.

As for MTM types, I like the design with the Ms close(er) together.
IMO, it probably helps them jell yet have a wide sweat spot and keeps them from being too big and therefore easy with placement.

These monitors don't cause buyers remorse, they cause smiles due to very good price/performance, IMHO.

BTW, I like these monitors for mixing, regardless of what any other engineer says/thinks/feels (I can hear and think for myself, thanks)
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #64
Gear Head
Glad you guys are happy with your purchase and that sways my dicision as well....
Quote:
BTW, I like these monitors for mixing, regardless of what any other engineer says/thinks/feels (I can hear and think for myself, thanks)
Thanks for your opinion... That's the issue for me, I don't have the opprotunity to hear the DSM's for myself in my setting. Unless one of you guys are near OC California and want to swing by?
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #65
Gear Maniac
 
Hricco's Avatar
 

Awesome thread.....

I'm stoked on this deal too. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Questions:

I noticed some people mentioned that one speaker is or has to be upside down what does that mean?

and the EQ matrix on the rear of the speaker...looks confusing anyone dive into that yet?
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #66
Gear Maniac
 
Hricco's Avatar
 

The Reason I ask that question about about placement is because I came across this image. were the user seems to have them set up with the tweeter on the bottom.... is that ok?
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
I really don't see how anyone could have buyers remorse unless they had utterly ridiculous expectations.

These are good speakers, period.

I like what they are - balanced, even, honest speakers that can flat out kick.

As for MTM types, I like the design with the Ms close(er) together.
IMO, it probably helps them jell yet have a wide sweat spot and keeps them from being too big and therefore easy with placement.

These monitors don't cause buyers remorse, they cause smiles due to very good price/performance, IMHO.

BTW, I like these monitors for mixing, regardless of what any other engineer says/thinks/feels (I can hear and think for myself, thanks)
Well stated. I am quite content as well and only asked about remorse for curiosity sake.
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Hricco,

Yes, if you are setting them up Vertically, then one of the speakers needs to be inverted... so the controls on the back are upside down. This is mildly annoying, I do have to admit. If you go for horizonal placement, M-A recommends putting the tweeter on top to minimize reflections off your desk. But, I agree it looks cooler with the tweeter on the bottom (it looks like an alien face , that way.)

I haven't played with the eq controls at all. My room is well treated, and it sounds mighty good as is. I should probably mess with it just her the heck of it, though.
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
I would never put the tweeter on the bottom - my brain is wired to tell me it's wrong. heh

As for vertical placement, the old rules should hold true:
In nearfield monitoring situations, you usually want the tweeters facing outside.
If the monitors are spaced further apart, you may want the tweeters facing inside.

Whatever you do, you want mirrored placements.

Remember that higher frequencies are more directional and lower frequencies are not, which is why you can have one sub-woofer in a stereo set-up and it can be on the floor while the mid/high drivers are usually ear level.

But hey, who am I to say?
Maybe you want one in front of you and one behind you, I dunno .
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #70
Gear Maniac
 
Hricco's Avatar
 

I think I'm going to go for the DSM3's Just spoke to Audio Midi who said they should have a boatload in today or tomorrow.....I also work for a distributor for Avid, very little dealings wiht the M-Audio folks, but I'm going to try to use my own channels to see if I can get a close out pair direct....I"m stoked....
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #71
Gear Head
Okay guys, against my better judgement (hear before purchase gear), I have joined the DSM3 club. Purchased 5 minutes ago... now the wait for delivery. Thanks for posting the FBSUMMER code for additional 5% off. I figure if I absolutely hate these monitors I should be able to sell them for what I paid for them...
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick714 View Post
Okay guys, against my better judgement (hear before purchase gear), I have joined the DSM3 club. Purchased 5 minutes ago... now the wait for delivery. Thanks for posting the FBSUMMER code for additional 5% off. I figure if I absolutely hate these monitors I should be able to sell them for what I paid for them...
I suspect you'll be happy... but you're right, if worst comes to worst, I think you'll be able to flip them. This is the cheapest current EBay deal:

M-Audio Studiophile DSM3 Reference Monitors *PAIR* NEW | eBay

Let us know what you think when you get them hooked up!
Old 4th August 2011 | Show parent
  #73
Gear Head
Thanks BudgetMC... I just couldn't walk away from the price and few had bad reviews (though this subject is subjective). I'll report back... Don't know when I'll get them, Chatsworth is roughly 75 miles north of me and I chose the free standard shipping.

I checked out the ebay deals pre-order and saw one individual new DSM3 for $299.00, auction was closed quickly - That was the only one. I'm seeing new from $900 to $1250 range for the pair. Searching ebay was another task completed in my dicision to purchase. You, MADG..., and the rest have been helpful.
Old 5th August 2011 | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Well stated. I am quite content as well and only asked about remorse for curiosity sake.
I didn't think so and didn't intend for my post towards you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick714 View Post
Searching ebay was another task completed in my dicision to purchase. You, MADG..., and the rest have been helpful.
Blacklion, BudgetMC and Heartfelt gave the best reviews

Anyway, I hope you dig them jh ......
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #75
Gear Addict
 
kesslerjesus's Avatar
 

Any updates on the actual low-end extension? I think a few people said the manuals stated they don't extend down to 37hz, which is written on the website. Is this true?

I'm thinking of adding a pair of these to my list of gear
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #76
Gear Nut
 

For the DSM3: The online .pdf manual available from the m-audio site states that the low end extends to 45 hz.

The promotional information on the same site and on every online store states 37 hz.

I have no idea which is the correct one, or if one is the -6 db point and the other the -3. There are no details on that.
Old 6th August 2011 | Show parent
  #77
Aof
Gear Maniac
 

Mh... and do you know which one goes lower? The DSM2 or DSM3???
The DSM2 has a larger driver...
Old 7th August 2011 | Show parent
  #78
Gear Head
Got the DSM3 monitors on Friday and have good first impression.
Like:
  • Sound Detail in my room is amazing - I can hear a gnat fart in a dense mix.
  • Small tweaking of effect settings are audible.
  • Critical listening made easier which translates to less ear fatigue for me.
  • as mention a large sweet spot, my neck doesn't hurt from trying to keep my head in the sweet spot.
  • I can hear every spot of the sound stage when panning
  • Ruffs seem to be translating well (car stereo, boom box, iPod)
Dislike:
  • Haven't worked with them long enough to form an opinion at this time.
Quote:
Mh... and do you know which one goes lower? The DSM2 or DSM3???
The DSM2 has a larger driver...
According to what I've read(meaning my translation) the DSM2 has an 8" LF driver where the DSM3 has 2-6.5" mid-LF driver which gives the DSM3 more surface area for the lows. Recording bass players, i prefer 10" to 15" speakers, so it's not always the size but the quality I look for. I was looking for better mid quality which the DSM2 also has. My understanding is better mid range monitors tend not to lie so well.
In my comparison with my old 2 way monitors which have an 8" LF driver (Tannoy PBM8) the DSM3 have much more clarity through out the whole spectrum including the bass. But then again they are old Tannoy's and sound like mud in comparison.

I would suspect if I was doing RAP or Dance music I'd set the HPF on the DSM's at 100Hz and add a sub. I work country, rock, hard rock, and metal.

Bottom line for me, very happy with my purchase...
Old 7th August 2011 | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick714 View Post
Got the DSM3 monitors on Friday and have good first impression.
Like:
  • Sound Detail in my room is amazing - I can hear a gnat fart in a dense mix.
  • Small tweaking of effect settings are audible.
  • Critical listening made easier which translates to less ear fatigue for me.
  • as mention a large sweet spot, my neck doesn't hurt from trying to keep my head in the sweet spot.
  • I can hear every spot of the sound stage when panning
  • Ruffs seem to be translating well (car stereo, boom box, iPod)
Dislike:
  • Haven't worked with them long enough to form an opinion at this time.
Bottom line for me, very happy with my purchase...
Sounds like we've got a growing consensus here! Glad you are happy with your purchase.
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Hey everyone! Very interesting thread, and deal on these monitors.

I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of which set (out of DSM2 and DSM3) might better suit a home studio room that is 12'x13'x7.5'.

I'm aware that all of you have opted to go with the DSM3, but I was hoping someone would have experience with MTM monitors, as well as 8" monitors, and how well or poorly they might work in a room of the aforementioned size.

If it helps at all, I have GIK absorbers, as well as bass traps, so my room is treated. Also, I am mixing Hip Hop, so if any recommendations or ideas surface based upon that knowledge, I welcome that as well.

Thanks in advance!

Skep
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
I was wondering if any of you might have an idea of which set (out of DSM2 and DSM3) might better suit a home studio room that is 12'x13'x7.5'.
I have the DSM2's in a room that is 12x17. I have always used 8's in even smaller rooms. The trick for me has been to not crank them when mixing or learning to mix at lower volumes which is good practice anyway. I do turn them up to enjoy or check at high volume.



EDIT: I have the 8" speakers
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #82
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Yep, my room isn't particularly large, either... I just don't mix too darn loud.
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #83
Lives for gear
 
MadGuitrst's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Yep, my room isn't particularly large, either... I just don't mix too darn loud.
Ironic. I used to want to play music as loud as I could. Now, I want to play as low as I can (well, for extended periods, anyway).

So yeah, I don't think the difference between the three monitors mentioned will define how they work for someone but how they use them.

IMHO, if you don't plan on ever moving to a different space the 1s or 2s will certainly be just fine. The 3s won't hurt you but they aren't really needed. Then again, for nearfield monitoring, probably no one needs to have anything more than a typical 6" woofer (unless a sub is desired for certain genres pumping out bass).

I look at it like this: You can have a 100 watt amp with a 1x12 cab and it will be plenty loud in most situations. However, playing in certain venues and the 1x12 might get swallowed up, where as two 4x12s will move MUCH more air. I look at the DSM3s like that. The 2x6" will move more air, if needed, but they don't have to (or won't) if you don't push them (I have a 20'+ x 22'+ or-so space and the DSM3s pretty much fill it up!....). I don't think they would become unruly in a smaller room but I also don't think they're needed. Also, if you haven't work with decent nearfields it might be best to work with something that is more conventional.

So, my recommendation for you hereticskeptic is this: Spend the extra $100 for the DMS2 but not the DSM3.

BTW, folks, remember, low end extension is not all about the size of the speaker, but the speaker itself AND the enclosure itself (size and design), etc. Whether a speaker is going down to 37Hz or 42Hz would not even cause me to think about it. Who in their right mind is going to tell me they can hear the difference? I'd just listen and either the speaker had enough bass for my needs or not.

And as a FWIW, I have a sub but never track or mix with it - just throw it on when I want to listen from a different perspective or for pleasure.....since bass isn't all about hearing but feeling too (I also like to throw in my super punchy Infinity home speakers that kick ass when I want to impress a listener......and tire my poor ears out heh )

Good luck with your choice hereticskeptic. Whatever you decide on you can't go wrong!
Old 8th August 2011
  #84
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Thanks to all three of you for your responses! It sounds like the DSM2's would be most fitting.

I actually do plan on moving in the next few months, but my new space won't be any bigger than the one I'm using now, so that variable won't change.

I've got a set of HS80M's, and am hoping that the greater detail/balance mentioned in reference to the DSM models will offer a nice A/B alternative. I had been planning on getting Avantone Mixcubes, but would find it a bit irresponsible to pass up on a pair of these DSM2's, given the unbelievable discount.

Does anyone think these would be a better second pair of monitors, than a set of the Mixcubes? I literally JUST received a custom monitor controller, with two sets of monitor outputs, and thus really don't plan on having three sets of monitors.

I really, really hope that this deal lasts for another month or so, as I already have some units I need to purchase this month. I may end up putting those purchases on hold, in order to take care of this deal.

Decision, decisions. I've become a slut in just one short year. Haha!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Thanks to all three of you for your responses! It sounds like the DSM2's would be most fitting.

I actually do plan on moving in the next few months, but my new space won't be any bigger than the one I'm using now, so that variable won't change.

I've got a set of HS80M's, and am hoping that the greater detail/balance mentioned in reference to the DSM models will offer a nice A/B alternative. I had been planning on getting Avantone Mixcubes, but would find it a bit irresponsible to pass up on a pair of these DSM2's, given the unbelievable discount.

Does anyone think these would be a better second pair of monitors, than a set of the Mixcubes? I literally JUST received a custom monitor controller, with two sets of monitor outputs, and thus really don't plan on having three sets of monitors.

I really, really hope that this deal lasts for another month or so, as I already have some units I need to purchase this month. I may end up putting those purchases on hold, in order to take care of this deal.

Decision, decisions. I've become a slut in just one short year. Haha!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
I am actually planning to sell my Yam's after sitting on this purchase a bit. They have a hair more bass extension in my room but I use phones to double check the bottom end anyway. I too have thought many times about the cubes. At present, I use computer speakers for that "small" sound.
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #86
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
I am actually planning to sell my Yam's after sitting on this purchase a bit. They have a hair more bass extension in my room but I use phones to double check the bottom end anyway. I too have thought many times about the cubes. At present, I use computer speakers for that "small" sound.
Word up! More bass extension sounds like great news! I really like the HS80M's, so that's kind of exciting to read.

Do you not think both the HS80's and the DSM2's are worth having together?

Also, how do you guys feel about gear being discontinued, since you'll likely lose support for the gear as well? That's my primary concern, as I've never bought gear that's soon to be discontinued.
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticskeptic View Post
Word up! More bass extension sounds like great news! I really like the HS80M's, so that's kind of exciting to read.

Do you not think both the HS80's and the DSM2's are worth having together?

Also, how do you guys feel about gear being discontinued, since you'll likely lose support for the gear as well? That's my primary concern, as I've never bought gear that's soon to be discontinued.
The difference isn't large enough to keep both, for me.
Old 8th August 2011
  #88
Lives for gear
 
hereticskeptic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
The difference isn't large enough to keep both, for me.
Very, very interesting

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #89
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Let me stress again that one of the things that makes me happy about the DSM3s is the wider sweet spot. This just makes mixing more pleasant, and I think is a worthwhile consideration in and of itself.

Madguitrst is correct in that they will really rock if you open them up... way more than I need them too.

BTW, I hooked them up using the digital inputs (which is rather a complex process in my studio, and I don't forsee keeping them this way, since I'm set up to switch among several sets of monitors on the fly). They did seem a bit more clear than with the digital inputs, which is really saying something. Anybody else using the digital ins??
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
  #90
Gear Nut
 

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday. After much deliberation, analysis, and second, third and fourth thoughts, I decided to go for the DSM2s.

Why? Well, my room is 10' x 11' x 8', so I didn't really need the 3s and their possible additional bass nor do I need the possible extra clarity in the mids (due to their being produced by 6.5 midwoofers instead of 8), given that I already have yamaha msp5, digidesign rm1 and krk v6 II to check the mids. Plus I saved $100.

I just wanted something good, balanced and clear but with a bigger woofer to check kick/bass and the overall picture. I am aware that I still wont be able to hear the lowest of low freqs, but in my room going lower would do more harm than good anyway.

I also have 1st gen krk rp8s, but they suck big time. No mids at all and they are very, very muddy, bass is really undefined (tested them in several rooms). If the DSM2s work out I'm selling the rp8s asap.

I also have a pair of event asp8s (used) and I guess I got burned buying through ebay. You can tell that they are (or would be when working properly) extremely clear and detailed and they go very very low. But one of them has some issues: the "good" one is brighter, goes lower and simply sounds better than the other, big difference in timbre. I'm using them as "living room speakers" at present and hope to some day find a technician that can do something for the "bad" one.

So, I just hope that with these DSM2s I can finally end my multi-year quest to find a pair of good, truthful and inexpensive 8-inch-woofer monitors.

I'll let you know my impressions when they arrive (probably a week from now).
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1039 views: 159294
Avatar for KarmaPolice
KarmaPolice 30th November 2013
replies: 98 views: 12473
Avatar for DR Music
DR Music 21st December 2011
replies: 75 views: 21077
Avatar for DGByrne
DGByrne 14th October 2020
replies: 406 views: 55184
Avatar for JSchlomo
JSchlomo 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump