The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me decide: Ultrasone Pro 750 Vs AKG K271 MKII
Old 27th June 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Help me decide: Ultrasone Pro 750 Vs AKG K271 MKII

I've narrowed my list down to pretty much these headphones. i need closed back due to my situation.

Ultrasone Pro 750
pros for me - very detailed, stylish, a tad smaller, could dj with them (how the cups fold and rotate), good sound stage (s logic), and they can be listened to easily and accurately at low volumes.
cons - expensive, heard they are a tad bright (possibly fatiguing),

AKG K271 MKII
pros for me - good sound, comfy. good price. just seem solid all around
cons - they're a tad big and unstylish imo. wont really be good for the occasional dj.

can anyone comment on either of these phones. i need something thats going to be comfortable for long periods, accurate enough to mix with if necessary, and something i can dj with and use for normal listening if necessary.
Old 28th June 2011
  #2
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
anyone? iv actually been reading more about the k271's and im finding that they may lack accurate bass
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
another option is the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm version
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
or the denon d2000's
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Shadow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I personally use the AKG K271 MKII in my studio, it's my main headphone beside my monitors.

I would not say that it lacks bass, frankly I feel it's very accurate, very very detailed. Oh and you can not beat the velvet earpads that come with it, SUPER COMFY. I also got a good deal on it, $150 brand new instead of the $200+ full retail price.

I've never used the Ultrasone so I can't say anything about that. But if you get the K271 MKII you'll be very happy with it.
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
I personally use the AKG K271 MKII in my studio, it's my main headphone beside my monitors.

I would not say that it lacks bass, frankly I feel it's very accurate, very very detailed. Oh and you can not beat the velvet earpads that come with it, SUPER COMFY. I also got a good deal on it, $150 brand new instead of the $200+ full retail price.

I've never used the Ultrasone so I can't say anything about that. But if you get the K271 MKII you'll be very happy with it.
yeah they do look solid. the "lack of bass" i keep reading about is scaring me a tad though.

im really liking what i read about the denons now. man this is a hard choice. the more i read into it the more i change my mind ahhh

and thank you for your input! also, sorry for the bumps. it was just taking forever to get any replies.
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
SaxJordan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The AKG K271 MKII's have this auto mute feature where they shut off when not being worn, which is a nice feature for tracking cans, but it's not particularly well-implemented IMHO. maybe i just have a small head or something, but I sometimes find myself having to toy around with the headband or take them off and put them back on again a few times in order to turn the mute off and start producing sound again. maybe i'm the only one with this problem but to me, it can be a big pain in the arse. just something to consider, especially if you're going to be using them live. they are very solid sound-wise and I don't find them lacking in bass (i'm using a grace m902 headphone amp to drive them)
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
How much do you wanna spend? The HD25s are aimed at DJs but are supposed to be great all rounders. There's a few different models but they all get consistently good reviews.

Have you seen this? Studio Headphones

Check out the SRH840s, i've 'listened' to them, albeit briefly but the sound reproduction was pretty fantastic so they'd be great for djing i think. I know what you mean about flip flopping, i keep going up and down with my budget (thanks for making me aware of the grados! ), but it's really hard to decide without actually hearing them.
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
im def looking for an around the ear design otherwise i would maybe consider the hd25's.and i originally was looking at the srh840's actually but then seemed to lose interest in them.

my budget is $250 max. but im looking at amazon/ebay prices. so far the denon d2000's are about $250, the ultrasones are 240. the akg k271's are $140...

but yeah i really am so stumped on picking a pair of headphones...i really wish i could build my own headphones lol. i want to combine so many different features/aspects into 1 headphone...

the perfect headphone for me would be denon d7000 design and wooden cups, with a detachable 1 sided cable, a bit thicker of a headband, velour ear cups, coiled cable, foldable, and with the electro static shielding like the ultrasones have (just incase headphones are harmful to the brain, a little far fetched yes, but they're saying cell phones many so who knows.)
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
bump
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Shadow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I say get the AKG K271 MKII and be happy. heh
Old 28th June 2011 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
I say get the AKG K271 MKII and be happy. heh
hehe dude this is terrible i keep flip flopping back and forth to which headphones i want. im really liking the denons lately and how u can get custom wooden cups for them ^_^ they look so sexy like that.

then on the other hand the k271's just seem overall solid and much cheaper.

btw how easily are the akg's driven with ample bass? i have a focusrite saffire 6 interface. will the headphone amp in that be enough to power the akg's with enough bass?
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Shadow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
hehe dude this is terrible i keep flip flopping back and forth to which headphones i want. im really liking the denons lately and how u can get custom wooden cups for them ^_^ they look so sexy like that.

then on the other hand the k271's just seem overall solid and much cheaper.

btw how easily are the akg's driven with ample bass? i have a focusrite saffire 6 interface. will the headphone amp in that be enough to power the akg's with enough bass?
Well I have my Saffire Pro 40 driving my K271 MKII, and I NEVER go above 30% on the volume knob, to give you an idea. It's a very balanced sound, not bass-heavy but also not bass-shy, it's just right for me.

At 55ohm it's not hard to drive with most interfaces.
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
Well I have my Saffire Pro 40 driving my K271 MKII, and I NEVER go above 30% on the volume knob, to give you an idea. It's a very balanced sound, not bass-heavy but also not bass-shy, it's just right for me.

At 55ohm it's not hard to drive with most interfaces.
true. can u turn off the feature where it shuts them off when u take them off? i think that would make them almost impossible to dj with, no? also do the ear pads hit your ears or are they all the way around them? saw one guy saying they rest on part of his ear and hurt them after a while. maybe he had big ears? mine are quite normal sized.
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Ultrasone or AKG

I have the Ultrasone Pro 900s, which are the same dimensions and weight as the 750s, and similar in sound to them.

I find them to be extremely comfortable, very accurate and non-fatiquing (though without a squashed high end); they do not have an exaggerated bass response, so what you'll hear on speakers will not sound wimpy in comparison to them. I also like the removable cables, which can be readily modified with a Neutrik right-angled minijack for use with devices for which they're needed.

I haven't heard the AKGs, but I haven't heard any other headphones that I like as well as the Ultrasones.

In any event, DON'T buy any headphones without hearing a pair that's been broken in -- more than a few brands require some use before they're "tamed", and this is notably true with the Ultrasones.

Good luck!
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Shadow's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
true. can u turn off the feature where it shuts them off when u take them off? i think that would make them almost impossible to dj with, no? also do the ear pads hit your ears or are they all the way around them? saw one guy saying they rest on part of his ear and hurt them after a while. maybe he had big ears? mine are quite normal sized.
The auto-mute feature can be disabled with a little bit of modding, but you have to open it up, I've seen it on the web. For me the auto-mute works perfectly, I guess my head is the perfect size for it haha. It's basically a small plastic button that you have to take out if you want to disable it.

The fit is AMAZING. It does not press on your ears, at least not mine. It also comes with leather and VELVET earcups, and trust me, the velvet earcups are like pillows for your ears, I installed the velvet ones as soon as I got it. I can wear it for hours on end without any discomfort.
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #17
msl
Lives for gear
 
msl's Avatar
Been using 271mk1 for the last 5 years, they are good cans, well built, comfy, the bass is there, but its not hyped. I also really like the ATH M50's, again well built and comfy but they have more bass. Never used Ultrasone.

Generally I'm a fan of AKG cans, I had the old 240's for 12 years before the 271's, never a problem that says a lot, I've had (cheep) Sennheiser's that broke after 1 year. I'm thinking of getting the k701 or k702's next.


.
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
man u guys are making this tough on me lol. well i guess im making it tough on myself...

right now i have these running through my head...
ultrasone pro 750 - some say they're harsh and not flat. others say they're fine and accurate...
denon ah d2000 - but im starting to think these may not be flat enough for producing...
akg k271 mkii - seem pretty solid, but possibly lacking bass?
shure srh 940 - dont know much about them
Old 29th June 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
musikmaschine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's like asking people to choose your clothes.

Right now i'd buy the srh840s without going and listening to other pairs simply cause of the price on amazon atm! But also because I have listened to them.

When I start to look at beyers and akgs and grados it's not so simple.

I bought some hd280s based on what I read about them, everyone seems to love them but I don't. Headphones are a much more personal thing than monitors I think.

Saying that, just buy the AKG702s!

Sent from my U20i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Addict
 
SaxJordan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Be a slut and buy them all, or buy more expensive headphones if perfection is very important to you. All of these inexpensive cans have strengths and weaknesses (actually just about all headphones do). Bass tends to be a major weakness of headphones in general. If bass is your thing, then maybe save up for Denon d7000's.

Any gear purchase leaves the door open to doubts and second thoughts and regrets, almost every gear has weaknesses when you look for them, the grass always looks greener, there's ALWAYS some new holy grail getting hype.

I think everyone can agree that the most important thing is learning your gear inside and out so you can get the most out of it, and don't worry so much if it's not perfect or there's something better out there. It's not like a tattoo on your face, you can always sell or trade stuff if you make the effort to learn it's characteristics and it's still not suiting you.

A few hundred bucks on headphones is no biggie, you can always get something else down the road if you're not happy. Getting the cheapest one is not a bad idea if you are split evenly between the choices and you don't have the opportunity to hear them in person. +1 about the break-in time, it's true that it takes some hours before new cans sound their best.

I haven't used the others on the list, but again about the AKG K271 II, if they're good enough for the world's greatest living musician and his band, I think it's at least safe to say that they're usable
YouTube - ‪Chucho ValdΓ©s New album 2010: The Making Of - Part 1‬‏
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
thanks guys!

so i think i made up my mind. and it came down to me thinking what i really want in a headphone and personal taste.

i ruled out the akg k271 because i don't believe it will have enough bass for my tastes. i have the hd280s and like them but right now id rather have hyped bass than no bass. at least i can hear whats going on down there and then just remember to mix the bass a bit higher or check with my monitors.

ruled out the denon d2000's becuase i don't believe they are really a studio headphone, more of a fun or secondary reference phone. i do love the denons though. maybe in the future ill get a pair of d7000's, but i definitely will not be spending that much money on headphones as of now.

the shure 940's i still dont know enough about. im sure they're great though but idk maybe there not fun enough for me..

so as of now my choice is back to the Ultrasone Pro 750's. kind of funny...i always pick a piece of gear then go through weeks of researching picking so many different brands, then i usually end up right back at my first pick haha go figure.

but yeah im thinking they will be the best for me because i know they have good bass response (and not overly hyped), they are also very good for critical listening and are relatively flat (enough to do some late night monitoring/mixing), they are comfortable, i like the style which will also be good for djing, the velour pads are nice, sound stage is nice. etc etc. overall i think it will be a good headphone.

i will let you guys know if i end up changing my mind again, if not ill let you know once they have arrived to me. in the mean time feel free to try and convince me for or against the ultrasones or any other headphone.

sorry the the novel
Old 30th June 2011 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I have the 750 sones and I love them. somewhat bright, but still pretty balanced
Old 30th June 2011 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
**** lol i just watched this video where the guy tested a bunch of headphones and he tested the ultrasone 900's and they were not flat at all...im wondering if the 750 would be the same.

this guy seemed to like the denon d2000's and the shure 840's

now im considering the d2000's again or the shure 940's lol...**** me im driving myself bonkers.

YouTube - ‪Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1‬‏

you have to search for part 5 for the last vid. and he has more testing that can be found if you google it.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
**** lol i just watched this video where the guy tested a bunch of headphones and he tested the ultrasone 900's and they were not flat at all...im wondering if the 750 would be the same.

this guy seemed to like the denon d2000's and the shure 840's

now im considering the d2000's again or the shure 940's lol...**** me im driving myself bonkers.

YouTube - ‪Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1‬‏

you have to search for part 5 for the last vid. and he has more testing that can be found if you google it.
yeah i deifnitely saw that vid when googling around for pro 750 reviews. to my understanding the HIFI line of ultrasone was meant for audiophiles looking for a high grade sound when watching movies. the PRO line is the series that is supposed to offer a flatter response. even within the PRO series there are alot of variations.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMix View Post
yeah i deifnitely saw that vid when googling around for pro 750 reviews. to my understanding the HIFI line of ultrasone was meant for audiophiles looking for a high grade sound when watching movies. the PRO line is the series that is supposed to offer a flatter response. even within the PRO series there are alot of variations.
did u end up going with the 750's? if so how are they? im sort of leaning back towards them because a lot of people say they're great for late night mixing and such...

sure they have a few imperfections like any headphone but they should be accurate enough as long as i learn them, no?

also that guys testing was a bit haggard.

oh and iv just been learning that in order for headphones to sound "flat" they need to actually be non flat in certain areas due to the way the ear is and the way their pressed against your head (especially closed backs). theres also various mods you can do to improve the 750 sound. some have put damping on the inside of the cups to reduce resonances which actually brings down the bass a tad because it gets rid of the unwanted harmonics. and it can take away from the sharp high end. look up the kees mod.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
jitterybit's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Dave rat's a smart guy, but measuring headphones with a omni mic is kinda dumb. Ultrsone's are designed with a off set driver so that the audio travels through the ear more naturally. Not just a speaker with foam around it...
Maybe if you put a omni mic in a molded ear...

BTW, own 2 pairs of 750s and love them. They are not fatiguing in the least IMO. Have owned/currently own various Sony, ATHM40s, K271s and those horrible Foxtex's that the session guys like. Nothing comes close in terms of accuracy and listening longevity. They DO have to be broken in though.
Never found them to be to bassy of bright. I found that they will inform you that you recordings are to bassy or bright. Just because you don't hear it on one form of playback, doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
jitterybit's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The 2500s are the open backed version of the 750. If you don't need total isolation, they do breathe better. They are not on their website anymore but still around the web. Like $10 different.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
Dave rat's a smart guy, but measuring headphones with a omni mic is kinda dumb. Ultrsone's are designed with a off set driver so that the audio travels through the ear more naturally. Not just a speaker with foam around it...
Maybe if you put a omni mic in a molded ear...

BTW, own 2 pairs of 750s and love them. They are not fatiguing in the least IMO. Have owned/currently own various Sony, ATHM40s, K271s and those horrible Foxtex's that the session guys like. Nothing comes close in terms of accuracy and listening longevity. They DO have to be broken in though.
Never found them to be to bassy of bright. I found that they will inform you that you recordings are to bassy or bright. Just because you don't hear it on one form of playback, doesn't mean it's not there.
thank you very much man i think thats what i needed to go ahead and order the 750's.

btw have u heard of modding any of the Pro's? seems people are getting some nice results. i would only add some damping to the cup, and not cover certain holes like other people are doing, that will **** with the sound stage.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
jitterybit's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Never heard of it. Figure German engineers know better than random guys on forums, but to each their own...
As long as it's easily reversed, I don't guess it could hurt.
Just make sure you break/burn them in. Read the manual. Most ship with a CD for this.
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
Never heard of it. Figure German engineers know better than random guys on forums, but to each their own...
As long as it's easily reversed, I don't guess it could hurt.
Just make sure you break/burn them in. Read the manual. Most ship with a CD for this.
Yeah thats what i was thinking too. But idk everyone says it gets rid of the bass resonances and takes off the edge on the highs. But why wouldnt ultrasone do this?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 114 views: 8378
Avatar for Reptil
Reptil 13th August 2005
replies: 5236 views: 1120772
Avatar for Marco77
Marco77 1 week ago
replies: 90 views: 44657
Avatar for jrp
jrp 8th September 2020
replies: 2 views: 1924
Avatar for Bullseye
Bullseye 30th November 2014
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump