The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me decide: Ultrasone Pro 750 Vs AKG K271 MKII
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
welp just ordered the Ultrasone Pro 750 for 329 shipped. pretty good deal i thought since they retail for 549. i heard the 900s are smoother sounding with more body and a slightly better soundstage. for me the smoothness is worth the extra 90 bucks over the 750s.

ill let you guys know how i like em

although i do have to admit i feel guilty about spending 300+ on headphones :/ i always feel guilty when i order gear because i know i could get buy with bare minimum **** but i can never bring myself to stop. its always one more thing and im stopping. next thing on the list is my fostex sub to go with my pm1 mk2's and then thats it...no more gear
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Remember where it is your posting lyons238.

Congrats on the purchase! You mean you ordered the 900s?

Sent from my U20i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmaschine View Post
Remember where it is your posting lyons238.

Congrats on the purchase! You mean you ordered the 900s?

oh yeah woops meant to put 900 not 750 lol. ill edit it.

but yeah i figured (knowing me) that i would have gotten the 750's and had wished i just spent the 90 bucks more and went straight for the 900's. but thanks man. i will post up and let u know my first impressions when they get here. cant wait
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sound like a good investment. I doubt you'll be upgrading anytime soon so the probably pay for themselves in the cheaper cans you would have bought otherwise.

With monitoring gear you should buy the best you can imo. I'm def interested in what your thoughts on them as mixing cans...
Old 3rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
thank you very much man i think thats what i needed to go ahead and order the 750's.

btw have u heard of modding any of the Pro's? seems people are getting some nice results. i would only add some damping to the cup, and not cover certain holes like other people are doing, that will **** with the sound stage.
No, No, No......just break them in. More than any other phones (I'm sort of a headphone junkie ), I find that the Ultrasones NEED to be broken in and also yield the greatest reward for breaking them in.

Plug them into some music (not full blast) each night for at least a week (that's a decent start).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
No, No, No......just break them in. More than any other phones (I'm sort of a headphone junkie ), I find that the Ultrasones NEED to be broken in and also yield the greatest reward for breaking them in.

Plug them into some music (not full blast) each night for at least a week (that's a decent start).
Yeah i wont mod them. And yeah i heard the ultrasones rly take a while to burn in and their sound changes a lot. Might be something to do with the ultra stiff titanium drivers. Do you recommend music or pink noise for burn in? Or a combo of both.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mine came with a CD. Just left it on repeat overnight for a couple days. Doesn't have to be super loud.
If you don't get a disk, try very dynamic music with a with frequency range. You want to flex the drivers. Noise won't do that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
Yeah i wont mod them. And yeah i heard the ultrasones rly take a while to burn in and their sound changes a lot. Might be something to do with the ultra stiff titanium drivers. Do you recommend music or pink noise for burn in? Or a combo of both.
Depends. Will you be listening to music or pink noise?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
Depends. Will you be listening to music or pink noise?
Yup i will be haha. But i thought pink noise was good because it plays all frequencies at once
Old 4th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Pink noise is for testing.
Just use something with dynamic low end content. 70s rock...
Old 4th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
Pink noise is for testing.
Just use something with dynamic low end content. 70s rock...
Would dubstep work?
Old 6th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
just got home from work and my ultrasone 900's were sitting on my door step

actually worked out perfect because i just shipped out my hd280's today to someone on ebay.

my first impressions are they're great. also on head-fi.org so many ppl complain about how the bass is too strong and highs are too sharp?? the highs feel perfect to me. mine have about 25 mins going and so far i feel like the bass matches my monitors. every other pair of headphones i had, had muddied and low volume bass. these ultrasones seem to match damn well to my monitors. this just proves the "**** frequency graphs for headphones theory". yes on the charts the ultrasones show a bass boost, but who knows how that is measured. or maybe the way goes into our ears it ends up evening out. thats my theory anyway.

how loud do you guys recommend burning these suckers in at? and for how long at a time is safe? im using a saffire 6 interface and i have to turn it up to about 7 to get it to as loud as i like to listen. will this be ok or what?
Old 7th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, listening levels.

Just for a start, I would let them play overnight for a week or so.
Old 7th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
ditto
enjoy and welcome to the club
Old 16th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
digging them?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yuppp im absolutely loving them. they are incredibly detailed and finally i can hear whats going on in the bottom end. very very happy with my choice. but yeah there sounding better and better. not sure if this is due to the drivers burning in or my own brain lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cause i've never been blown away by my hd280s i decided to try burning them in for a few days and i swear they sound better. Apparently they need about 100 hours so i'm gonna give them a few more days. The biggest difference is in the low end, they don't sound so anemic any more. Still have a poor soundstage though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cause i've never been blown away by my hd280s i decided to try burning them in for a few days and i swear they sound better. Apparently they need about 100 hours so i'm gonna give them a few more days. The biggest difference is in the low end, they don't sound so anemic any more. Still have a poor soundstage though.
yeah idk they just didnt have enough low end for me. but they were pretty decent phones. the other thing was they would hurt my ears after an hour and when i would take them off i would feel weird like my brain was cut off from the world and being suffocated lol. that doesnt happen with my ultrasones even after 4 hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you not got them any more? I was gonna say try this, see if you notice anything. I've been playing d'n'b through them to give them a good work out and now there's very little between them and my monitors.

When i first got them they were really tight on my head so i stretched the headband out and they've been nice n' comfy since then. heh

Good tracking cans, i'll keep them for that when i upgrade. They are kinda heavy on the head though...
Old 17th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
great to hear.
Old 19th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you not got them any more? I was gonna say try this, see if you notice anything. I've been playing d'n'b through them to give them a good work out and now there's very little between them and my monitors.

When i first got them they were really tight on my head so i stretched the headband out and they've been nice n' comfy since then. heh

Good tracking cans, i'll keep them for that when i upgrade. They are kinda heavy on the head though...
no i sold them on ebay :/. they are pretty good cans and definitely are good to have as a reference or tracking (great isolation). but they just were not comfortable to me for more than 1 hour and they lacked bass. couldnt hear what was going on in the bass department unless i solo'd it. and it didn't pick up the lowest of the lowest frequencies very well. but overall a good set of cans. i would still recommend them to people.

my ultrasones are just wow though. if you get the chance to try a pair def do!
Old 24th July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would but I don't plan to spend that much on headphones! I need something better than the 280s though... Price dropped on the srh840s recently so i'll probably get a pair as they've been ingrained in my mind since I heard them lol.

I've yet to treat my room and then add a sub but am also considering a decent midrange pair of cans, the ultrasone's are about the same as the hs10w sub so i'll how things work out. Cheers.

πŸ“ Reply