The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hey, looking for some suggestions on recording set up DAW Software
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

hey, looking for some suggestions on recording set up

i know my current set up is probably laughable.

it goes like this:

radioshack dynamic mic
roland vs-840gx

now i am planning on getting an sm-57 because i've heard a lot about it and it's cheap, although more expensive than the guitar it's recording...

does anyone have any other suggestions on how to maximize the capability of my roland...i was thinking something along the lines of a preamp of some kind. but i'm not sure how that works with electric instruments since i am planning on getting a keyboard, electric guitar, etc.

would the preamp even be worth it with what i'm recording on and if it is then what would be a good choice.

i really don't know much about the technical side of recording, but i am interested in learning.

thanks.
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iare1031 View Post

it goes like this:

radioshack dynamic mic
roland vs-840gx

now i am planning on getting an sm-57 because i've heard a lot about it and it's cheap, although more expensive than the guitar it's recording...

does anyone have any other suggestions on how to maximize the capability of my roland...i was thinking something along the lines of a preamp of some kind. but i'm not sure how that works with electric instruments since i am planning on getting a keyboard, electric guitar, etc.

would the preamp even be worth it with what i'm recording on and if it is then what would be a good choice.

i really don't know much about the technical side of recording, but i am interested in learning.

thanks.
quick lesson: silk looks great until you drag it through the mud.

The sound is only going to be as good as the crappiest piece of gear you force it though. Don't waste money on a new preamp. Either learn to use what you have and enjoy making music, or get a better rig. It is better to have one or two decent pieces than 17 crap ones. You can't make a turd smell better by pouring Channel #5 in front of it. I recommend that you learn to use what you have and get the best sounds out of it that you can, then worry about moving up.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

i agree. i guess the radioshack mic is the one that is holding it all back. and as far as a new rig..i am going to wait cus i just got this one and i am new to the multi-track recording deal. until this isn't capable of doing what i want it to do or be at least close enough i won't give up on it.

songwiriting and guitar playing is my thing anyway. the rest is just trying to match up what i hear in my head with reality and at least finding some common ground between the two.
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

it goes like this:

radioshack dynamic mic
roland vs-840gx

thanks.
what is your budget?

sm57 wont be that much better thatn the chinese knockoff that the shack sells at 2x what orange county speaker repair sells them for (and they might throw in free cables too).

i would say get a decent audio interface with phantom power
and a starter mike like th mxl990. if you have guitar get the 990/991 combo on sale.
use the starter daw software with your pc.
learn to use it and grow from there.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

Radio Shack Microphone 33-3018

not sure which one you're referring to but this one is made in the philippines.

it just says dynamic mic imp. 500 ohms
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

Yup, If you toss the roland on CL for $150 (that way you can negotiate down to $100 ) and take the money you were planning on spending on a 57 you'd be pretty close to being able to get a nice bundle that would include a DAW, some monitors and a starter condenser mic. Also there are some deals are stores of a certain name over the weekend for the holiday.

Recording on workstations is a nightmare akin to learning Latin. You work for years and years to learn it and when you tell everyone you know Latin no one really gives a @#&%.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

elliott. could you show me an example of one of these daw bundles you're talking about? i'm not even sure what that is. and is the quality going to be better overall or is it just the ease of using it that you're saying makes it worth it? i'm not really in it to record anyone but myself. you know? just a way to get my ideas down into songs. with a little better quality than i've been doing. so it's not distorted etc.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

An SM57 is only as good as the preamp it's running through. But if you run it through an insane preamp, then it will be an insanely great mic. I would recommend buying an SM57 as your first mic but also get a nice preamp to run it with.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Dude if you have the option even if its only for you it is definitely worth going to a daw. You'll never get the sound you hear in your head to come from that all in one recorder. I actually started out on a BR532 4-track and learned the Latin as mentioned above only to constantly
Get depressing results.

Not that you'll be a great producer instantly with a daw but you will get better results and you'll also find that there are better resources for learning how to use a daw.

I'll look at guitar centers deals and add a link to this post when I get to a computer.

Best of luck

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Product/...%26Search%3DGo

Ok man, if you follow this link it should take you to a comparison page at Guitar Center. Some of the packages may be way beyond your price range, but some probably aren't and these are just a few that I found really quick. If you look around there are others and like mentioned below, you can just go to GC if you have one close and ask for some help setting up an entry level DAW based recording rig.

Fact is, you can record you and your guitar all day long with the setup you have, but if you want to start improving your end product, this is probably the best way to start.

And just a warning, this site is called Gearslutz for a reason. This stuff is addictive. Sure you may get started with just a couple hundred bucks then ten years down the line you have $20,000 (or $200,000) tied up in it and you love it and you hate it and it's part of you.

Rock on, man
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

This would be a good place to start

Go into your local GC and see what they have. My dad picked up an LE kit for $400 a few years ago.

Or you can piece something together

DAW's can be had for $99 - $599

A decent interface, for about $200 The Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB for example

For playback just start with whatever speakers you have laying around, or hooked up to your PC or mac. Or a set of Headphones.

I could go on forever, but picking and choosing gear is sorta what this site is all about so there is a world of info on here. Lurk a bit and see what others are doing to get some ideas for yourself.

The learning curve for DAW's is as steep as it is for workstations, but once you start learning it a world of options just opens up for you creatively. Being able to quickly record, loop, cut, paste, and then do another track or overdub quickly makes writing so much easier, because once you know it you stop getting distracted by the process and are able to focus.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot1129 View Post
This would be a good place to start

Go into your local GC and see what they have. My dad picked up an LE kit for $400 a few years ago.
Teh last place to go is a GC.
They will try to sell you (at least the did me)
returned B pak gear at full list price when it was supposed to have been on sale in new condition. Nobody knows anything and all they do is try to sell you more expensive krapp so they can make their commission.

Lots of better web stores to buy from.
Look for a sale.

Many interfaces come with a free lite version of a daw to get you started.

Get audacity for free
get reaper for real cheap - free to evaluate.

the RS mike may be phillipine source, but same as china to me.
Get a good condensor mike. And buy your sm57 knockoff from orange country speaker repair not the shack.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Head

ok, thanks for all the info everyone. this sounds like it could work someday. for now i'm gonna keep trying with the roland for a few different reasons. budget wise, i'd rather spend money on more instruments than on recording gear and software. also, my computer is a true piece of ****. an old crappy dell laptop, i mean, it doesn't even have usb 2.0 (and only a 40gb hd) so that's a bust. but i'm going to do one more project with the new mic and instruments and gear and really do the best i can with it and if worse comes to worse i'll just give it away and get a better computer and get the computer and studio bundle i need.

i mean, you understand i'd rather spend money on instruments and pedals than on recording for now. not for nothing but i've been playing guitar for 5 years and all i have is a $75 acoustic that i got second hand. i was playing it safe and going for cheap one in case i wasn't into it like i thought i'd be. now that i know music is going to be a lifelong endeavor i might as well get some more stuff to make music with and learn some new instruments.

that being said, i will seriously take all your suggestions into consideration. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Head

as far as the sm57 is concerned. i found a bundle with the cable and a mic stand. which i don't have and is really going to come in handy in the future for a little over 100 bucks.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
Teh last place to go is a GC.
They will try to sell you (at least the did me)
You don't put earplugs in when you walk into GC? They did seem to have some decently priced bundles the last time I walked in there.
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot1129 View Post
You don't put earplugs in when you walk into GC? They did seem to have some decently priced bundles the last time I walked in there.
actually i did use my earplugs

too many kiddies playing with all the guitars like they were the next esteban or something

no bundles at my gc
everythign is list price even when theyadvertise a sale

they own 3 web sites that are not all that bad
i think the gc stores exist to drive us to buy from their web sites
Old 27th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok, thanks for all the info everyone. this sounds like it could work someday. for now i'm gonna keep trying with the roland ... an old crappy dell laptop, i mean, it doesn't even have usb 2.0 (and only a 40gb hd) so that's a bust....
For what it is worth.... (and remember, I'm the guy telling you not to spend any money, learn to use the tools that you have...) a modest laptop with a smallish hard drive will be usable for recording audio for a small setup of just a guitar player and a singer. I was able to get 15 tracks on my old Sony 500 mHz Pentium M Vaio with minimal ram and a small hard drive over ten years ago. Using a computer frees you up, opens more possibilities, and is far easier to grasp than working in a stand alone recorder (because of the visual feedback of the larger screen). But don't spend any money yet.
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Head

well i looked at the system requirements on protools and my computer doesn't even come close. if in reality it's really much more forgiving i might just go for it. but i do know pro tools is a pretty demanding software. i mean, if most studios have those new macbooks equipped with it, i mean i know they're pros and need to have top of the line stuff. but you know i'll look into it.

i just really want to give the roland a chance and apply certain techniques i've heard from people on the board. but you're right i read before that even an old laptop can be used for music. i'm just not doing it professionally, and in theory i should be able to get a lot out of the roland. i mean, it should be capable of doing anything if i go about it the proper way.

i like elliott smith a lot and i know roman candle (his first album) and i think even some of his self titled album was recorded on 8 tracks. and this was back in the mid 90s. and i think they sound amazing in any respect.

one of these days i'll get on the same page as the rest of these guys, though. and now i know what type of gear i need. the only real benefit of that bundle i saw was the monitors. cus right now i'm mixing and finishing tracks on a pair of cheap sony headphones. and i KNOW that's really bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search