The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Quad-capture/Octa-capture...anyone?
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Roland Quad-capture/Octa-capture...anyone?

So this interface looks interesting for the price. It's under $300 and looks to have extremely low latency and jitter...but the question is how does it sound?

It seems to be the same basic build as the more expensive octa-capture which also seems to look pretty decent for the price.

But...can't find a single real review on how these things sound, what converters they use or anything like that. Anyone out there using on of these?
Old 12th June 2011
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm really interested in this as well - I have been looking at the Babyface - quality great but overkill as far as Totalmix and connectivity and I don't like the breakout cable much. I have only just heard of the new Roland and want to see how it stacks up against the Babyface/Duet/ etc purely for getting sound in.
Old 12th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
I'm really interested in this as well - I have been looking at the Babyface - quality great but overkill as far as Totalmix and connectivity and I don't like the breakout cable much. I have only just heard of the new Roland and want to see how it stacks up against the Babyface/Duet/ etc purely for getting sound in.
It's funny, I was looking at the same options. I love the RME stuff and it's always quality but someone pointed out the octa-capture and it certainly seems decent with low latency. The internal pres are also supposed to be surprisingly decent. I just have no idea the overall sound quality.

The quadcapture could be a dirt cheap way to get a decent interface.
Old 8th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It should be noted that while the OctaCapture does indeed have 8 XLR/jack ins, and does indeed record them all simultaneously (at less than 24bit/192khz, the QuadCapture is really just a two-inputter with a couple extra channels of digital coax input, and not a four-input device as the name and other models might suggest. It still sounds rather good, it just has less inputs than one might be led to believe due to marketing.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have an Octa-Capture and like it. It was a breeze to set up with Reaper and the unit is very intuitive. The included software mixer is excellent, and I've also found myself using the onboard compressors quite a bit. I wish it had ADAT, however. I'm acquiring/building preamps and channel strips and would like to run them into an A/D D/A converter and connect it to the Roland via ADAT.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’ve had the Quad Capture now for over a year. It’s great….user friendly and the preamps are actually very good with plenty of headroom…I can’t compare it to the RME Babyface because I’ve never used one, but I did read a hands on consumer review comparing the two prior to purchase, and according to the article’s reviewer, the Roland Capture compares favorably.

The Capture also comes with an onboard compressor too, which works very well. It’s just a very functional and very good sounding unit IME.

Chris
📝 Reply