The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apex 460 to C12 Step By Step
Old 19th September 2014
Here for the gear

Has anyone had issues with a buzz on the mic ? I cant seem to get rid of the buzz .
Old 25th September 2015
Just replaced the stock electrolytic capacitors in my Apex 460 power supply with Nichicon PW filter caps, and Elna Silmic II for the rest. I was prepared to plug the mic in and have it sound the exact same as before, but it is far from it. The dimension of the mic really opened up, and there is no stuffy midrange anymore. Everything is very very detailed and smooth. I am almost tempted to leave the capsule stock, but I have an AA CEK-12 capsule that I tried to install but failed. I am waiting for a new saddle to come in, and then I'll see how it goes.

The capacitor swap in the Apex power supply made so much of a difference that I think I'm going to order new electrolytics for my Rode NTK (modded with an RK-47 capsule). I think swapping out those Hitano caps would get rid of the last bit of grain in the mic and give it a better sound stage.
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Sorry, old thread. Quick question.. I've got a couple of older AKG nylon ringed C12 capsules I pulled out of 2 silver 414 ebs a few years back when I replaced them with newer versions. I know these aren't the most loved capsules, but has anyone tried them in a modded Apex 460?

I think I may pick up a couple of used 460s and try that mods with these. If they're not great, I'll gladly order some better replacements, but I figure they've got to be better than most of the low/mid end brass capsule copies.
Old 23rd February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enaer View Post
Sorry, old thread. Quick question.. I've got a couple of older AKG nylon ringed C12 capsules I pulled out of 2 silver 414 ebs a few years back when I replaced them with newer versions. I know these aren't the most loved capsules, but has anyone tried them in a modded Apex 460?

I think I may pick up a couple of used 460s and try that mods with these. If they're not great, I'll gladly order some better replacements, but I figure they've got to be better than most of the low/mid end brass capsule copies.
The old CK12 nylon capsules will sound quite good in the mic. They are smoother and not as bright as the later CK12 capsules. I put a submini tube in a 414 ULS and the tube circuit sounded very nice,

Good Luck

Jim Jacobsen
JJ Audio
Old 23rd February 2017
I swapped everything out and it was awesome, until I swapped the capsule. I've had a dead mic for months...
📝 Reply