The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clean pre for vocals in treated porta-booth?
Old 26th March 2011
Gear nut

Exclamation Clean pre for vocals in treated porta-booth?

I want to start this off by saying that I already have a UA solo 610, Blue Robbie and M-Audio Tampa(only used for the optical compressor, really). As you know, all of these preamps are a bit colored, the 610 really colored. I have a tube mic(Sputnik) that is set up in a porta booth that really does make the vox dry as all hell(and only cost about $50) and really isolates it from my bedroom that isn't treated. I also have some cheaper solid state LDCs being an AT2020 and Rode Nt1a. These are all going into a Digi 003 Rack Plus(I know the conversion isn't the greatest but it'll do for now).
I really need a dedicated vocal preamp that isn't too colored and really lets the tube mic do it's thing, or at least helps it cut through the mix a little better than combining it with tube preamps. It will also give me a more versatile setup with a quality solid state pre. I also want to add that I'll be picking up an SM7b in the near future.
Probably shouldn't have got two tube pres in succession like I did, but it's a little to late now.
Would you go Grace m 101, Daking Mic Pre One or Great river ME-1NV?
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Well, you said you wanted clean, and the Grace m101 is certainly that. I think you should do some more research on the ones you have listed though. The great river me-1nv and Daking mic pre one both have reputations for being quite coloured.

For an SM 7b you want at least 60db of clean gain, but I think you really want closer to 65 or even 70. I have done some recordings through my Ensemble where I have had to set the gain at 66db to get a good signal level, so look at that when researching pre's.

The cleanest pre's are the straight wire with gain type. No transformer balancing. True systems P solo, AEA, Grace m101, Focusrite ISA one, Audient Mico would be worth looking at for a good clean pre amp that would let the colour and tonality of the tube mic shine through.
Old 26th March 2011
Gear nut

Right, I guess what I should've said was versatile and somewhat clean. From what I understand you can have the Great River pretty clean long as you don't drive the output but it's like a swiss army knife. The Daking is punchy like an API moreso than being like a Neve, but it just works good on everything. Lastly, yea, the Grace is transparent as a gold digging housewife. Guess I just need a little push. Thanks tho.
Old 26th March 2011
Lives for gear

Well, now you are into a place that noone can really help you with. Do you want a swiss army knife? Punchy? Transparent? The best thing you can do is try them out if possibly. The 3 pre amps you listed are all great, so it's kind of a no wrong answer.

You said in your post that you wanted a pre that would let the tube mic do its thing. In that instance, I'd go Grace.
Old 26th March 2011
Gear nut

My vote is for the SSL Alpha Channel, I have one and it's a good middle ground pre, a little more character than my zero-distortion Mindprint but no where near the amount of coloration of my API. It's quite versatile with the switchable impedance and VHD control. It also has on board A/D, so you can go spdif in right into your 003, bypassing the Digi converters. On top of which you get some pretty decent EQ with different high-pass options.
Old 26th March 2011
Gear maniac

A Safe Sound P1 might fit the bill.
Old 27th March 2011
Gear interested

Cool micpre for vox

without question or reservation and entirely subjective, the grace m101.
Old 27th March 2011
Gear nut

+1 for the Grace m101.....just about as clean as they come. I love mine
Old 27th March 2011
Gear nut

Really wanted the Grace, but went for the SSL because I got one used for what a brand new Grace costs. I can always sell it if I don't like it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 27th March 2011
Gear nut

I just felt like the better than average converters plus an eq and limiter was just too hard to pass up. I just might still grab a grace in the near future.
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaclown View Post

The cleanest pre's are the straight wire with gain type. No transformer balancing. True systems P solo, AEA, Grace m101, Focusrite ISA one, Audient Mico would be worth looking at for a good clean pre amp that would let the colour and tonality of the tube mic shine through.
The ISA One uses a lundahl transformer and the tone is slightly colored.

The others you mentioned would be cleaner.
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

Do a search.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search