The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need new equipment for a new project
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

need new equipment for a new project

Because of my awesome financial situation I downsized my rig to just two acoustic-electrics (an epiphone masterbilt and an epiphone texan), my prs santana se (with duncan p-rails hot pickups), a roland ac60 amp, a boss me70 multi effects/amp sim, an Audix OM5 handheld mic, and my EMU 0404 usb interface.

Well I started jamming with a friend and we are getting serious, my finances have made me really look away from music this past year.

Well we've got a good thing going and have a fair amount of material practiced and written.

I'd like to start doing some home recordings again.

Keep in mind I'm on a very low budget and I don't have the best environment to record in and I don't mind that the results won't be amazing we are just looking to get our ideas down.

Our arrangements would probably be classified as a fusion of folk, psychedelic, blues, and rock with a hint of jazz.

We mainly just do electric bass or upright bass (my friend Jake) and then me sing and do acoustic guitar.

I'm willing to throw a couple hundred bucks at some LOW END mics.

Since the pieces are very minimalist and purist at heart I feel to truly express ourselves I'd like to take a different approach than I have in the past.

I'd like to record my acoustic guitar in stereo....I had the idea since my two acoustics are very different sounding (my masterbilt has the sloped shoulders solid spruce top and solid rosewood back/sides while my inspired by 1964 texan has a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides.....both instruments have bone nuts, bone saddles, tusq bridge pins, new strings (I will restring before the sessions too), and professional setups)
anyway I digress back on track
to lay down each song with a stereo miking of each guitar
so I could use the strong mids and harmonic highs from my texan for the right side of the mix and the rich deep low tones from the rosewood masterbilt for the left side

I was thinking of using a spaced pair of mics on the acoustic guitar where one is about a foot over my shoulder pointing down at the body between bridge and soundhole and the other is somewhere around the 10th-15th fret depending of course where the sweet spot is

Now I'm curious to know if I should invest in a pair of SDC mics to use or if I might get a more desirable result if I use an SDC at the fretboard and a LDC pointing down?

I kinda like the idea of perhaps getting a few MXL mics (most likely a pair of MXL 603S) as they would be usable for my intentions and have the potential to be modded by oktavamod down the road to sound even better

but I have also heard great things about Karma mics and their K10 pair and the Prophecy (for vocals) is very tempting

but basically I want two stereo acoustic guitars to be panned hard left and right and then to center bass guitar and vocals to kinda really bring people into the music and to kinda convey the natural and raw sound we are after.

For vocals I was considering the MXL V67G or V67I, the MXL V69ME tube mic.

Obviously if I stumbled on some good used deals an AT4050, AT4047, or AT4040 would be a great LDC and then picking up a decent SDC.

But what are your opinions, and like I said I'm not doing this to be world class I'm just trying to get my ideas down and express myself to my interested friend fans. I'm not trying to make money or to make a world class recording.

I'm also aware that what I buy isn't going to be as good or better than a pro studio or pro equipment I just need something that functions well for a good value.
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Do a search.

Welcome back my friend. thumbsup
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Do a search.

Welcome back my friend. thumbsup
yeah it's nice to be back on, life's been busy some things have gone great some haven't but that's how it goes

I'll probably end up searching but I'm just curious because some of the mics I wouldn't have access to until ordering em, because scam ash and guitar center don't carry Karma Audio for example.

I mainly just wanted to see if anyone else around had done anything like what I'm gonna do and did it on the uber cheap and obviously I have very specific applications in mind
Old 19th February 2011
Check out KAM Instruments..I have 3 of their mics and really enjoy them..I also have some Karma mics too...
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccisano1 View Post
Check out KAM Instruments..I have 3 of their mics and really enjoy them..I also have some Karma mics too...
those look really cool

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search