The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mxl 990 mods ? capsule swap?
Old 6th December 2019
Here for the gear

I hope no one minds me digging up this old thread.

I have bought a couple throughole PCB MXL 990s and I would like to know what low cost mods make sense for me.

I don't think I want to change capsules at this point but a capacitor upgrade sounds easy and low noise would be great. How expensive is it to do a low noise mod like Jim Williams? I wish he wrote the part numbers for his low noise jfets.

No one seems to do step by step upgrades on these. I'm not ready to jump in over my head just yet.
Old 9th December 2019
Here for the gear

I just bought a MXL 990 Ribbon mic.

I just want to see what ribbons are about, it was cheap and it matches.

Does anyone have experience with the ribbon version?
Old 13th December 2019
Here for the gear

I got my MXL 990 Ribbon mic. It was $45 shipped with tax. It looks pristine, possibly never used. I was a bit worried it would have a problem but the condition is making me hopeful that it might be good to go with an intact ribbon.

I have two condenser style MXL 990s and a MXL 991 condenser mic. I think I spent about $90 on those three.

I also bought four Fender fabric covered mic cables, three desktop mic stands, three China shock mounts and three China pop filters. The pop filters haven't arrived yet. They are the curved type with rubber band attachment, hopefully they will be decent.

I might spend some money on modifying the PCBs or trying some cheap China condensers.

The ribbon mic has a weird can enclosing the transformer or whatever else is in there. I don't think there is any easy mod for it except a basket mesh mod.

I'm going to be testing and listening with the setup tomorrow.

I think I am just over $200 for all the mics, stands, cables and pop filters.

Looking at the brand name budget setups from Audio Technica and Sure, it looked like one mic, shock mount, stand and cable was $140+. Even a BM800 or similar was about $40 but with a cable of questionable quality, a pop filter on a creaky flexible arm and a desk mount arm rather than a desktop mic stand.

I'm hoping that it was a decent investment and I'll be able to mic up a podcast with nice sound and a professional look.

With my Zoom H6 I can expand to six channels of mics if I buy an XLR adapter for it. That will be about a $240 upgrade if I get similar deals. I will certainly wait and see with my 3-4 mic setup before I expand but $750-800 seems pretty good for 6 channels of portable recording with good preamps and condenser mics. If I ever need more, it will probably be after I have stopped worrying about budget and just need to worry about trying to keep six people from talking over each other.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search