The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus FireStudio
Old 15th December 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummin4christ View Post
I could not have said it better myself!!!
2nd that because that starts the FIREFACE ARE P.O.S. Threads
Old 16th December 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
I really need to hear some kind of sound clips or something
Here are some soundclips of a live recording that was recently done for Jars Of Clay: http://www.presonus.com/jarsofclay.html.

They are recording every night of this current tour and will be releasing a live video in the Spring. The audio will be coming from the Firestudio and 2 Digimax FS.
Old 25th December 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

reviews

to buddhaman and tantrum the cat:
any reviews yet? i'm considering the firestudio, saffire pro, or motu 896HD. so i'm looking for real life feedback (with macintosh). thanks
Gear Addict

I'd love some feedback too, as I'm aware of the limitations of my FIREPOD. I don't do that much MIDI based stuff, if I do it's usually via USB keyboard anyway, so unless the preamps are noticeably improved I may as well stick with what I've got.
Here for the gear

firestudio

hi big time lurker here, first post...

i own the firestudio. i actually upgraded from the firepod probably at a loss of $100~. The firepod is great, and sonically i can't really hear a difference between the converters and pres (then again...i'm an n00b). But the firepod doesn't have any way of monitoring properly. You get this 2bus stereo thing that all the inputs get sent to center panned with no volume adjustment possible and this little mix knob that also mixes in the input 1L-2R from the DAW, but it's useless for real life situations.

One possibilty of course then is to split your mic ins into a dedicated monitoring console, but damn! that's expensive.

the fire studio on the other hand has a proper DSP that lets you mix up to 9 different headphone mixes that come out 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, etc.etc. OR, you can just send the 8 mic ins to the 8 mic outs. OR, a mix. OR, whatever you want... it's pretty awesome actually. Honestly, I didn't really need this - i just wanted the 8ins to go to the 8outs, but that's not possible in the firepod, and the firestudio is basically overkill.

Driver wise, I haven't noticed anything at all over the firepod - which is saying good things, reliable. I tried running it on a macbook pro running windows and cubase, and it wouldn't sync. On a real PC, worked fine. the macbook pro worked fine in mac mode running garage band.

The little mixer program is actually rather nifty and it stores your mixes in the DSP, so you can unplug the firewire and run it as totally standalone as a little mixer. Pretty cool, though i haven't run into a situation where i actually needed that. In fact though I've accidentally unplugged the firewire, and the firestudio keeps on going, all signals pass without an interruption. good for live recording.

Basically, I'm aiming for a very very lowend project studio, no outboard, just to get song ideas down before going to a real studio. Occasionally I like to record drumsets (badly) or have stereo pairs for acoustic guitars etc., so I need more then 2 ins. In the future I want to get a nice mic pre and stick it in the insert ins for channel 1&2, like someone else said. Also, I used a ADAT that doesn't record tape anymore for more outs and ins - only needed that once where I did a live recording thing with 16 ins. (That was interesting... not.)

But for what I do, which is basically preproduction, the firestudio is perfect for the application. I even saved money, because I don't need a monitor mixing board.

Now about latency. My PC cannot handle superlow 2.5 ms latency with the firestudio, for some reason, whereas it could without blinking on the firepod. BUT, it doesn't matter! Because you get very close to 0 latency monitoring, it's not a big deal to have 20, 30, ms latency - you won't hear it, of course.

Also, it comes with drumagog (THANK YOU GOD) and also supposedly BFG lite but I didn't get that DVD. I'm waiting for them to send it to me.

One last thing about pres. I've noticed that the firepod/studio pres only start to hiss at the very top of their gain, around 60db? or whatnot, but the SM(57/58) definitely require you to run them near that, so you got to be very careful about gain. Noise wise, I've noticed that the firestudio is a little more noisy, but I'm not suprised given how much more feature packed it is.

Okay, I sounded like a shill, but I've been very happy with it. Good price point, works fine, still a little hard to get - i snagged the last one at GC.
Gear Addict

quick hits on the firestudio....

1/ Mine is running perfectly on a Mac Pro with Cubase 4

2/ Latency is not an issue for me as I do not play stuff in realtime and can use the firestudio mixer for no latency overdubs.

3/ The Firestudio Mixer has snapshots that you can save and load very easily

I am using it with 2 ADA8000's for a really cheap (sub $1,000) 24 track in and out interface....I am really impressed.

The pre's/converters are a little brittle in the top end compared to the ad16x that I owned in the past.....but the ad16x cost $3,000 with the firwire card and had no preamps or digital outs.....

YMMV

Buddhaman

PS--I will be happy with this setup for a while I believe...
Old 26th December 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Any tried the Firestudio with a PC using Sonar 6? I've read that some people are having issues with this configuration. I happen to be a Windows/Sonar guy and this looks like it might be a good interface for me. Was seriously consdering the Traveler until I saw this one.
Old 26th December 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I got one last week for the sole purpose of running it on a 3GHz. Intel Mac Quad, as a virtual instrument/ sampler system. I can't use the new computer as my actual DAW until RME or somebody makes a ****ing PCIe MADI card. For now, I have to use 2 computers.

I wanted to run the 2 ADATs in and out of my digital console and be able to route 16 channels of VI's, along with the audio/MIDI/MADI from my current DAW. I use DP, and I want to use it to host the VI's. I could not get the Firestudio to clock from the WC input or the ADAT while using DP. It would only sync to it's own internal clock. If I used the mixing desk program it came with, I could get it to sync with anything, but Performer would break it again, even when running at the same time- back and forth I went - no way out.

It probably works fine with the Cubase program it came with, but I don't use Cubase.

It goes back tomorrow.
Old 30th December 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

what happens with vista

will this pup work with vista or do we wait for new drivers
Old 31st December 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I think just xp for now.....

I swapped my ada8000's out for an 01v96 and the firestudio clocks that just fine.

can you make it the word clock master? the clock is pretty good
WDG
Gear Head

So is the Firestudio basicly a firepod with 2 Adat inputs? Or am I missing something? When I first read about the FS I thought it would be something like the FF800 in that it would have mic pres and then some analog inputs so that we could bring our own better mic pres.

I know that many of you already have Adat stuff but I am a TDIF guy and I feel SOL. If I already had a way to go ADAT out I would get a Hammerfall card or something like that.
Lives for gear

bro its way more than the firepod
its got a way better clock . and yes you can use your own pre amp
and it has its own pres 2
Old 1st January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Can someone please A/B this thing with some of the MOTU gear and maybe even the RME stuff. I'm dying to know what it really sounds like! There's a box of cookies in it for you! Oreos, Chips Ahoy, hell I might even pop for that Pepperidge Farms fancy stuff.
Gear Addict
BTW, here is one response I got back from Cakewalk about the posted issues with the Firestudio and Sonar:

<quote>Thanks for contacting Cakewalk! While the Firestudio isn't on our list of tested devices yet, both the Firepod and Firebox were tested and are on our list of recommended devices, so I would assume that this isn't a widespread issue. For a list of tested devices, visit: http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/audiohw.asp)

Best Regards,

Josh King
Cakewalk Customer Service
888.Cakewalk
www.cakewalk.com</quote>

Not exactly giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling about it. Going on two weeks now waiting for a response back from Presonus about it. I find it amusing how some manufacturers <COU>MOTU<GH> can usually respond to my questions within a day. I guess Presonus doesn't really need the business =P
Jai guru deva om

Dude, call them. Presonus are usually very good by phone. This time of year they, like most other manufacturers, have moved a ton of gear and are likely getting a higher call volume. I don't mean to apologize for them at all...just saying it's usually better to pick up the phone and this time of year is likely crazy for them. They're going to deal with the phone way before an email (I am assuming you're waiting on an email response).

War
Gear Addict

Quote:
Any tried the Firestudio with a PC using Sonar 6?
We have three computers at work all running Sonar 6 with no problems. If you want more specific info on these computers, you can email JB at [email protected] . Or, you can send us your NFO file and we'll be glad to let you know if there are any known issues with your computer. If there are any Sonar guys having issues, it has to do with the computer, firewire chipset or some other component. However we have tested with Sonar since day one and it is working great.

Kind Regards,
Gear Addict

Quote:
Vista drivers for the Firestudio are being tested right now and should be released in about 30-45 days.
Old 2nd January 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi View Post
We have three computers at work all running Sonar 6 with no problems. If you want more specific info on these computers, you can email JB at [email protected] . Or, you can send us your NFO file and we'll be glad to let you know if there are any known issues with your computer. If there are any Sonar guys having issues, it has to do with the computer, firewire chipset or some other component. However we have tested with Sonar since day one and it is working great.

Kind Regards,
Rick,

Just to be clear, there are no issues with my computer, it works fine. I think if there are some known issues with the Firestudio interface and certain computer configurations as you are suggesting, I think those issues should be made public as to assist the consumer in making an educated decision as to what product is going to work best for them.

I did read about an instance where there is some issue with one of the ATI chipsets, but this was on the Cakewalk side if I am not mistaken. Other than that, I can not find anything that would suggest there are any "known issues" as yet, and is what I would expect with this being a new product. I did in fact call and spoke to someone named Butch in your tech support group who claimed he did not know of any issues and told me the same thing you mentioned above, yet I have seen multiple posts from Sonar users experiencing similar problems between them. This was at both the Cakewalk and Presonus sites, and were submitted with the email I sent. I'm really not expecting "Johnny on the Spot" support with the holidays and all so don't sweat it, I'm reasonable.

I will send the NFO for good measure (if I didn't already), and please realize that I am just trying to cover all bases before I plop down $900 for the unit and remote. This being such a new unit, it might be in my best interest to wait until the "jury is out" on it but I may give it a chance yet. Either that or find a dealer with a realistic return policy that is not going to rape my white booty if there is an issue. I'm still stretched out from my last M-Audio purchase through Guitar Center and the consequent neck throttling that took place, but that's a whole different subject =)

I very much appreciate your response.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
bro its way more than the firepod
its got a way better clock . and yes you can use your own pre amp
and it has its own pres 2
so you went from not even knowing if it will work to raving about its clock within 8 hours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
so you went from not even knowing if it will work to raving about its clock within 8 hours?
isn't it common knowledge that the clock in the firestudio is an upgrade over the one found in the firepod/box?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
So is the Firestudio basicly a firepod with 2 Adat inputs? Or am I missing something? When I first read about the FS I thought it would be something like the FF800 in that it would have mic pres and then some analog inputs so that we could bring our own better mic pres.

I know that many of you already have Adat stuff but I am a TDIF guy and I feel SOL. If I already had a way to go ADAT out I would get a Hammerfall card or something like that.
As a former firepod user, I can say that this unit is without a doubt much more than the firepod. The firepod was a great unit for a studio that doesn't need that many I/O's. The Firestudio, on the other hand, gives you so many more options and the new clock makes this unit sound much better than the firepod. As far as your comment about better pre's, I use 10 other pres in conjunction with my firestudio. All eight inputs have either mic or line level inputs. Then, you have to consider the dsp mixer. You can do so much with that and monitoring has gotten so easy. I love no-latency monitoring and being able to route any input to any output.

My only complaint with the unit is the headphone amp. It is more noisy than the firepod. It doesn't matter so much because I use a central station for headphone amps, but when I have a band in and want to track everyone at the same time, I hate giving someone a noisy signal.

Hope this helps.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by treymonfauntre View Post
yo no comprendah
Old 23rd June 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi View Post
Vista drivers for the Firestudio are being tested right now and should be released in about 30-45 days.
Before I waste any more of my money on Presonus I need a little backup - more likely from some of you old studio dogs.

1. Has anyone else tried any kind of lightpipe gear with a PreSonus Firestudio 26 x 26? Anyone else tried an Adat with it?

2. Has anyone ever had a problem with connecting a blackface adat lightpipe (w/out 9-pin sync) to any other brand firewire interface?

PreSonus so far sux. After about two weeks of email back an forth with their tech support, the email dude finally forwarded my question to their tech support chief. I'm not convinced either of them know **** about this.

My firestudio works for analog but not ADAT lightpipe with my black face Adats. After waiting since last Nov they finally delivered drivers to correct a lightpipe issue and I gave my Adats another try with a lightpipe connection. PreSonus' excuse for it's failure to work with my Adats is that they claim the Blackface, being Alesis' first lightpipe device, has no sync imposed on the lightpipe and I must use the 9-pin sync.

Utter bullsh_t I think. I've never heard of this not working and was I certified by Alesis and I fixed these things for years. I've previously been able to move audio around between an Adat blackface and all kinds of gear without a problem. I used these Adats with a MOTU 828 firewire interface once and it worked fine as well. I ran all the tests and my Adats are perfect.

I tried the Firestudio with my S4+ synth, which was made years later, and that didn't work either (with and w/out the external work clock connected).

Last edited by ktone; 23rd June 2008 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Profanity. Oops
📝 Reply