The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Art ProMPA II for drum pres? Mixers (Analog)
View Poll Results: What preamp or mixer
ART ProMPA II
2 Votes - 100.00%
Mackie Onyx 1620i
0 Votes - 0%
Allen and Heath Zed-14
0 Votes - 0%
Save for a Mix Wizard, they aren't that much more.
0 Votes - 0%
Other low end preamp or mixer
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Talking Art ProMPA II for drum pres?

So here is my situation, my band recorded our last album on a mackie 1604vlz into a motu 828 into logic. The mixer broke after we got the drums and most of the bass tracked, so I borrowed a 1642vlz to finish the guitars and vocal, it broke also and I had to use a 1202vlz to finish off the vocals. I think we might have used and broke a 1402 also, but i don't remember. So now we are recording again and I am not working at the same place so I don't have access to a million mackie mixers. We loved the sound but don't want to buy a mackie since they have quality issues. I don't like the sound of the behringer or alesis or yamaha, the new allen and heath zed mixers don't have direct outs, and the mix wizards are a bit to pricy.

The question I am getting to is, would the ART Pro MPA II sound as good, or better, then the pres on a mackie for drums. (We are also considering getting a Mackie 1620i, brand new with a 2 year warranty.)

Any other input on low end gear for recording drums would be great. I was also wondering if i could get a zed 14, record all the drum mics direct in to the 828, then after tracking run each track (6) out of the 828 into the mixer, then run the stereo mix into the 828 onto a digital bus in logic. Is there potential for latency issues?

Oh ya, our budget is around $800 for preamp and mixer gear, I have a 1202vlz and the motu 828. Don't concern yourself about the mics, I want to focus on preamps.

Thanks in advance.
H
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Also let me clarify I am intending on getting 2 MPAII using one for the snare and kick and the other for over heads, then using the 1202vlz for toms because I am on a budget and the toms sound fine through a vlz's in my opinion.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

MPA preamps are nice, when there are no hum issues. I bought my MPA Gold (an earlier version of what you're considering) new and it took a few returns until I was happy with what I bought. Now, I'm very pleased with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search