The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help in buying the interface I need
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Need help in buying the interface I need

I hope, unlike similar threads, I'm providing all the info needed so I can finally go and purchase instead of endless surfing review sites about certain interfaces.

This is my situation:

Gear: hardware, mixer, desktop pc (TI chipset on the fw)

the hardware synths go in the mixer and from there I'd like some to go in an audio interface so I can record.

Now, since sound quality is quite decent here (A&H mixer) I feel I shouldnt buy any crap or lesser quality...

What I require from my future interface:

Inputs: 4 to 8, anything more will be overkill as I cant/wont record more than 8 audio-tracks at the time.
Outputs: same as inputs but also one main R and main L
1 headpone output
MIDI IN/OUT
good price-quality ratio
drivers for W7-64 bit
firewire
-> these are what I require, anything else is or can be usefull but will not determine the eventual buy.

I've been looking at:
MOTU hybrid mkIII,
Presonus firestudio Project,
Focusrite Pro 40
(the hybrid is the most expensive, that is also my max budget for the interface, being around 600 USD)

As I make electronic music and record only synths (can be kicks, snares, leads, basslines, etc) I think that I dont need the best pre-amps, since in my opninion these are mainly for voices/mics and I dont need to spend a lot of money on something I dont need. But thats me thinking, I can be wrong about this.

So my question is, which do you suggest that will work better for me and are there other types I should give a look?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT View Post
I hope, unlike similar threads, I'm providing all the info needed so I can finally go and purchase instead of endless surfing review sites about certain interfaces.
I think the reason these other similar threads exist is because people don't realize just how often the same gear gets recommended regardless of any one person's particular situation.

Searching for reviews and reading and contributing in the other similar threads is better than starting your own IMO.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with what's already been said. You'll learn more quickly, if not more completely, than by creating your own little island of a thread and waiting for answers to roll in. Go out and get your answers proactively. Stop cluttering the forum by creating "yet another similar thread".

Good luck.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT View Post

This is my situation:

Gear: hardware, mixer, desktop pc (TI chipset on the fw)

the hardware synths go in the mixer and from there I'd like some to go in an audio interface so I can record.

Now, since sound quality is quite decent here (A&H mixer) I feel I shouldnt buy any crap or lesser quality...

What I require from my future interface:

Inputs: 4 to 8, anything more will be overkill as I cant/wont record more than 8 audio-tracks at the time.
Outputs: same as inputs but also one main R and main L
1 headpone output
MIDI IN/OUT
good price-quality ratio
drivers for W7-64 bit
firewire
-> these are what I require, anything else is or can be usefull but will not determine the eventual buy.

I've been looking at:
MOTU hybrid mkIII,
Presonus firestudio Project,
Focusrite Pro 40
(the hybrid is the most expensive, that is also my max budget for the interface, being around 600 USD)

As I make electronic music and record only synths (can be kicks, snares, leads, basslines, etc) I think that I dont need the best pre-amps, since in my opninion these are mainly for voices/mics and I dont need to spend a lot of money on something I dont need. But thats me thinking, I can be wrong about this.

So my question is, which do you suggest that will work better for me and are there other types I should give a look?
since you only have synths (rather than a bunch of live sound sources), why can't they either be mixed to 2 track or tracked in multiple passes of 2 tracks at a time?

And when it comes to outputs, why do you need 8 plus 2? you have ten monitors to feed?

If it was me and I wanted to save a buck, That is what I would do.... get a simple but well thought of interface like a Roland FA-66 (just a number off the top of my head, others may have better suggestions...) and either mix down on the way into the computer or track with multiple passes, a few tracks at a time. You're all in sync via MIDI anyway.

An RME Digiface and computer card or similar would do what you want, but it is more than $600 and I don't see the advantage for your uses... unless you haven't given us a big enough picture.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

as for the inputs: sometimes my friend(s) come over and we play together, more inputs would make it possible to record our jamsessions.However, I do want to record -kicks, snares, hats, 303- in one take, rather than 1 at the time. Synths is one track at the time.
the outputs: I see myself working with vsti's and than maybe I'd like to rout them through my mixer and outboard fx, therefore I'd need some outputs. 4 + 2 main would do.

the way we work now is we record (2-3 tracks max a person) in Ableton and than we put vst'fx where we think it is suitable and continue as such.

I'll give it a look once more.

I've been looking at the presonus a lot, but either it works flawless or it doesnt work at all (reviews from zzounds). As for the MOTU I've read that it works flawless on mac and has issues on pc. The focusrite hasnt got as many reviews, therefore I was hoping to get more info here.

but I'll keep on searching and looking.
It's just that this is more crucial and decisive than a synth, a synth (when bought second or more hand) can pretty easy be sold again. I find it different with a sound interface. No trial and error here, error means loss of money and I dont like loosing money, especially when it could have been avoided... my 2 cents
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Lightbulb The ALESIS IO|26

I just did a quick search on Thomann and came across the
ALESIS IO|26

It has firewire, MIDI in and out, 8 analog mic/line inputs, 8 analog outs with 2 headphone outs as well.

Seams to be what you need. Not too expensive either.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

I've narrowed it down to:

Focusrite Pro 40 vs Presonus firestudio Project

system: W7-64 bit - Ableton.

anybody cares to spill some comments? experience with both or one of the devices...

kind regards
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like you're describing an echo audiofire 8.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

the echo website doesnt work... hope its better with their interfaces

I've let the idea of a presonus go. What scares me a bit with the focusrite pro 40 is the hassle for installing this and getting the control-software to work decent.

I'll go with pro 40 anyway I think.

just seems more my thing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search