The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Individual tastes?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Individual tastes?

I'm enjoying these forums, thanks to everyone who have answered my previous queries, I'm learning loads on here..Now, I've been reading some posts and they've got me thinking, one post about acoustic guitar tones (on a demo that was posted), some people were saying it needed more low end on it, but when I heard the track, I thought the guitar sounded great and I wouldn't add any low end! Or is this a typical "amateur" response? So what has got me thinking now is, isn't making music and an individual's tone based on personal taste? I mean, is there any rule in recording or mixing that says the frequncy of a guitar has to be in a specific range or its "not" acceptable? I've heard recordings where I think the guitar sucks, way too much high end, yet the tone has been revered by others! So that's my question.
Old 3rd January 2011
There's a general "that sounds sh1t" threshold! - you'll know when it sounds ropey.
However, the rest is purely personal opinion and suggestions for tweaking to individual taste.

Got told a great phrase that has stuck with me for many years - "opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one, but you tend to stick to your own"........

There's NOTHING wrong though (in fact it's highly recommended!) with seaking comments and feedback....... you might just get some ideas that you hadn't thought of....

Dan

:edit:

in terms of technical reasons, mixes tend to comprise of several different (yet wholly inter-dependant) aspects - frequency & amplitude & musical taste.
Yes, a particular instrument will have a certain frequency group associated with it - eg 400Hz - 7Khz. If you're trying to EQ 12Khz, there may be little effect on the sound......

Where amplitude comes into it is (a) subjective levels of each instrument, (b) dynamics of the track (and throughout the track), and competing frequencies in different (but similar-sounding) instruments. EQ (and knowledge of the instrument EQ groups) is quite useful then to allow instruments/sounds to sit together without conflicting. This is also where "adding bass" or "remove a bit of 3.6Khz" comments can arise, as it's not neccessarily the sound itself, but the conflict or clash with something else in the mix....

Hope this helps a bit!!

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 3rd January 2011 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: to stick a technical slant on my post....
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 View Post
... you might just get some ideas that you hadn't thought of...
This is what I was going to suggest. Taste is subjective, but second opinions can be quite valuable.

Context is also imporant: how is the track going to sit in the mix? In a track with drums and bass keeping an acoustic guitar track on the thin side is not necessarily such a bad thing. For a solo guitar and vocal mix a bit thicker tone can be appropriate.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

If we heard the original tracks instead of MP3s, and we all heard them in the same room with a great room ratio, proper sound control, killer DACs and top notch monitors there is a fair chance that we'd all draw similar conclusions. But hearing the MP3 on everything from the aforementioned room to the playback on a laptop speaker, you are bound to get different opinions.

This is aside from artistic considerations, wherein exactly what -I- was going for might sound messed up to you.
Old 3rd January 2011
I agree somewhat - the only difference being is that whilst as humans, we all hear in the same ballpark, we do hear sound completely differently to the next person.

And as we're talking tweak-level changes, that's a BIG difference.

Hence why some people think mixes are rubbish, and others don't.

But I totally agree that the MP3 aspect (Satan's udio formatdfegad imho) can make things "interesting", shall we say!! heh

Dan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search