The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Mini Me Question Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

Exclamation Apogee Mini Me Question

My main interface is a Digi 003 Rack Plus, and unfortunately, I understand that its pres and converters can't be bypassed unless you use ADAT or SPDIF. This hurts as I just bought a Blue Robbie(that doesn't have a digital out and really wanted to see what it can do(not through 003 rack plus' pres and converters)on it's own. So my plan is to get a cheap converter/pre to hook up to the 003 Rack Plus, in this case via SPDIF with an Apogee Mini Me.
My question is as follows. Can I use the Mini Me as a passive converter to be hooked up to the the 003 via SPDIF and receive the Robbie's Line Level signal and just pass it on while still controlling preamp gain from the Robbie? This seemed like a somewhat feasible workaround until I get a BLA mod or just get rid of the 003 Rack+.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, but you will have to calibrate your levels on the mini me.

Edit-assuming your 003 will clock to its spdif input.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

thanks, could you elaborate on that?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

If you turn the Land R all the way counterclockwise past an indent, they become line level and you can just use the mini me for conversion out the spdif. You still have the option of soft limit, or compression if wanted, or not.

Clock your 003 to the spdif.

You also gain a couple of apogee pres, which IMHO are underrated. The pres have a depth and clarity that holds its own with more expensive pres.

There are 2 recessed flat head screws next to L<R used for line level calibration. Find a test tone-bypass the mini me, run test tone into the robbie to show healthy levels on the 003. Put the apogee back in line. Adjust both screws to show exactly the same levels on both chs of the spdif in of the 003.

It's kind of tedious but you only have to do it once.

There are probably better ways of calibrating than my general method, do a search.

IMHO, you would notice a nice improvement in your rig.

BTW, what kind of prices are you seeing on used mini me these days?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. There's only one up on ebay right now for $700; and although that might not be much of a discount, it does offer buyer protection for 12%ish off. I dunno, still might get a new one if I can find one, who knows. Can't afford it right now anyway, heh.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search