The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
most durable dj headphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

most durable dj headphones

so im in the hunt for a good set of dj headphones. price is not the question, sound well maybe abit, but most imporant is how durable they are.
now if u look at some headphones like say pioneer every person i heard said they break, as in the plastic somewhere snaps... thats a problem with alot of headphones it seems, i had stantons snap on me all the time and just reading now skullcandy headphones same thing , also sonys i read :(
so are there any headphones that are superman proof, or atleast close to it?

see even something like beats by dr dre is out the question haha even if i see them all over music vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZE3J3ZykAw < are u kiding me.
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

the ones i use are technics rp dh 1200 and they're pretty durable have a solid design to them to
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Maniac

I been using sennheiser HD280 pros for a good few years (about 5 maybe). Use them for tracking too. Pretty bullet proof so far and I am a bit clumsy and drunk at times.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlong View Post
I been using sennheiser HD280 pros for a good few years (about 5 maybe). Use them for tracking too. Pretty bullet proof so far and I am a bit clumsy and drunk at times.
Yupper... I have to agree that the HD280s are pretty tough cans that can put up with a fair bit of hard use
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Head

HD25's have lasted me years they sound true and brilliant also they stock every spare part which you won't need unless you drive over them
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Head

I've HD25s and they are spot on, easy to fix, spares are reasonable (ish) good isolation, great clear sound.
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Nut

HD25's..

There's a reason 99% of DJ's you see use these.

I've abused mine soooo much. They've been soaked in beer, cable gotten stuck god knows how many times, I've stepped on them, I've dropped them, I've... well, done pretty much every imaginable harmful thing you can do to a pair of cans and they still work, perfectly..

The one tiny problem I had once was the right can losing signal, and I solved that with plugging out the connector, straightening the pins and plugging it back in.

And as a DJ, you'll come to appreciate the hyped low end of these cans.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

HD280

Been stepped on dropped, had mine going on 6 years still works great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
Yupper... I have to agree that the HD280s are pretty tough cans that can put up with a fair bit of hard use
Old 23rd March 2011
Here for the gear

my hd 280s haven't died on me, and I am rough on them.
I would also like to point out that i believe Koss has a lifetime warranty on at least some of their headphones...
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Addict

In my opinion (150 / 160 gigs a year, including places like Spain, Turkey etc.)

Pioneer sounds good, but aren't the most reliable. GOod for DJs who keep their headphones on (or at least one side) for the entire show.
The Technics 1200 is my favourite. Especially since it has the swing arm system which i absolutly freaking love. THese are in my opinion the most durable of the bunch.
Sony sounds excellent, but just looking at them wears them down.

Stanton is rubbish.

Sennheiser and AKG are good, but I didn't like them as DJ headphones. (Since I love the swing arm on the Technics!)
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
In my opinion (150 / 160 gigs a year, including places like Spain, Turkey etc.)

Pioneer sounds good, but aren't the most reliable. GOod for DJs who keep their headphones on (or at least one side) for the entire show.
The Technics 1200 is my favourite. Especially since it has the swing arm system which i absolutly freaking love. THese are in my opinion the most durable of the bunch.
Sony sounds excellent, but just looking at them wears them down.

Stanton is rubbish.

Sennheiser and AKG are good, but I didn't like them as DJ headphones. (Since I love the swing arm on the Technics!)
If I understood "swing arm" correctly, the Sennheiser HD25's have that too
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Addict

Could be, can't recall the HD25 type. I ve played 99% of my gigs with the Technics. And I love that headphone, don't know much about the others
Old 25th March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
Could be, can't recall the HD25 type. I ve played 99% of my gigs with the Technics. And I love that headphone, don't know much about the others
Quite sure you've seen these before :P

Old 23rd June 2015
I use Sony Mdr Z1000 but let us know if you ever find something durable..they all break at least for me. Probably have 20-30 broken headphones laying around. Been thinking of trying out the Sennheiser hd 25:s made in metal. /Toby
Old 23rd June 2015
Lives for gear

Sony MDR 7506
Old 23rd June 2015
Here for the gear
+1 on the HD25, they are built like a tank, plus you can easily find and replace most of the parts
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Nut
HD 25 or STFU
Old 27th June 2015
Here for the gear

V moda M 100 super durable headband that bends in all sorts of directions. Foldable and looks awesome.. U can even customise them
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Head

Another vote for technics rpHd 1250. First pair lasted 8 years. Seen all types of beverages and impacts.
Old 29th June 2015
N.E
Gear Maniac

i went through 2 pairs of Sony MDR-V700 in the past and I managed to snap both. I've had the Sennheiser HD-25 for the last couple of years and they are as good as new (and honestly, they take a lot of abuse!).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search