The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best audio interface with 2 mic inputs? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Best audio interface with 2 mic inputs?

Any ideal products?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Apogee duet if you are using a Mac
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

How about Focusrite Saffire USB6 ?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut
metrich halo interfaces are renowned to not have any weaknesses. But for #1 they are pricey and #2 they re mac only.

Metric Halo Products

I roll with echo audio products though! They have interfaces which everyone on the board will tell you "they sound good" about. I like their interfaces with the pci-cards. Its faster and mre reliable than firewire / USB. It also has a 100 MhZ DSP on board which (The halo's have too I guess) which helps in terms of low or zero lantency monitoring while you're recording.

Realy just trying to give yout the info, IF after every post you're leaning to something else it's time to start reading the interface's reviews or even get to listen to the stuff in stores or use the stores 30 day return policies.

thumbsup
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Becks View Post
metrich halo interfaces are renowned to not have any weaknesses. But for #1 they are pricey and #2 they re mac only.

Metric Halo Products
Yep - if you really mean "ideal," a Metric Halo ULN-2 would be very tough to beat.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

i've had the duet and the MH. the MH has extra digital inputs, which is super nice. the duet is much easier to use, while the MH is more customizable and configurable. the MH has the FX, but many people have enough power in their computer to make this a basically moot point.
they both sound excellent. you won't need to upgrade either one unless you need more channels. the duet can't aggregate, or expand. the MH can easily. MH costs triple....
good luck!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

RME babyface for me. i couldn't be happier and i love total mix!
Old 3rd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon
i've had the duet and the MH. the MH has extra digital inputs, which is super nice. the duet is much easier to use, while the MH is more customizable and configurable. the MH has the FX, but many people have enough power in their computer to make this a basically moot point.
they both sound excellent. you won't need to upgrade either one unless you need more channels. the duet can't aggregate, or expand. the MH can easily. MH costs triple....
good luck!
Minor side note...duet CAN be run aggregate. I do it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_claypoo View Post
RME babyface for me. i couldn't be happier and i love total mix!
Is there a way to link a hardware compressor in the way in with bayface pre's and conversion?

mic-pre's-comp-ad?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gato View Post
Is there a way to link a hardware compressor in the way in with bayface pre's and conversion?

mic-pre's-comp-ad?
2 analog inputs, 4 outputs and Totalmix for routing, so the answer is yes.(<--- EDIT: I realise that this will involve an extra AD/DA conversion)

I really would have liked a DSP comp in Babyface BTW. The absence of it drifts me towards MOTU Ultralite or Saffire 24 DSP.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

Would it be as good as a focusrite interface?
Old 4th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12mantca
Would it be as good as a focusrite interface?
If you are asking vs. a Metric Halo? Yeah, I think it would be. I've owned a focusrite, and they are solid workhorse pieces. Not too exciting but they get the job done.

I've never used MH but from what I've read they are supposed to be top of the line.

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Really liking the DMP3.

Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Focusrite (for the money).

There's a saying that says "you get what you pay for," and I really believe this is true. A $600 interface by RME is probably going to have better components than the $200 Saffire USB. But I've owned a Saffire Pro24 for a while now, and I am VERY impressed by the pres on it. Very natural sound, not "bright and tinny" like a lot of the cheaper pres out there. Yeah, it needs a bit of EQ to be tweeked right for my voice, but all in all I'm very impressed by the quality of the Focusrite stuff--definitely your best bet for under $300 (IMHO), I don't think the Presonus and the M-Audio products have comparable pres for under $300.

I've also heard great things about the M-Audio ProFire 610, and the MOTU Ultralite MKIII.

If you're wanting an interface that works GREAT with sample-libraries/MIDI, go with the MOTU. If you want an interface that has above-average mic-pres, go with the Saffire. If you want a product that has GREAT customer-service, and is all-around a great interface, go with the M-Audio.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Minor side note...duet CAN be run aggregate. I do it all the time.

sweet!
last i had tried, and read here, and at the apogee forums was that it was not officially supported by them except with the internal i/o...
i tried, and could get it to work for a few minutes, but something would always crash... i had no problem agging all the other gear i have had, though.
i'm gonna try later
thanks!!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

and the apogee help says it's not supported...
what are you agging it with?
and into logic? or what?
that's cool you got it to work
thanks!

Last edited by turtlejon; 4th January 2011 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: edit: sorry to wander
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Nobody mentioned the new Avid Mboxes... These were made to beat the Apogee Duet, and you get more ins and outs, especially with the Pro that goes up to 192khz. I've heard they sound really good. Also with the MBox Pro it comes with soft limiting so you can drive the pre's harder.
Now the Duet is great, and it is smaller, but the downside of it I would say is the break out cables; kind of messy. There are people saying that the new Mboxes sound better than the Duet.

I am in the same boat as you, as I need to upgrade my interface. I have a Digi 003, which I like, but I don't need the ins and outs, so Im looking to get something with maybe 2 channels and really good converters.

Other than these which I have considered, and being that with Pro Tools 9 you can use any interface, I also looked into Metric Halo. The ULN-2 looks great and from reviews that I read, Metric Halo you cant go wrong with. I think from all the interfaces out there, you are going to get pretty much the same thing, and when you compare interfaces like the Mbox Pro, Duet, and Metric Halo ULN-2 (interfaces in the same league) the sound is going to be pretty much subjective and you probably won't notice any difference tbh. Actually I know you wont
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict
Metric Halos are top of the line...but this is low end theory and if your not making money from music I'd recommend saving some cash and spending much less. For about half you can grab a Steinberg MR series or Yamaha N series mixer-both of which have more pres that you may or may not use but they have very high quality converters, good analog stages and neutral pres. RME are excellent too in that price range-any of those three would be great depending on what features you need.

Duets sound good but are pricey for what you get...most Mac people really like them-we have one downstairs. Personally, I use a Presonus FS Mobile with Studio One and love the combination! Focusrite would be comparable to the Presonus in the $200-300 range and if I needed a USB model Id look at the Saffire 6 or Mackie Onyx. It really comes down to features and budget at this point. Don't buy firewire if your using a laptop.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I still like my Edirol, er, Roland, uhm, Cakewalk UA-25EX....even if the naming is skitzo....
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceferraudi View Post
Don't buy firewire if your using a laptop.
Really? Why not?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

I have heard amazing things about the duet. It is even used on PINKs album.
No one here seems to be for it?
I have got a SL56 And was going to get a new interface as I only need 2 mic inputs.
Should I??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search