The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M Audio Sputnik? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

M Audio Sputnik?

What's the deal? Is this mic as good as the reviewers say?

I'm looking for something flattering on an alto female vocalist that's very smooth.
Old 2nd January 2011
I love it, and have loved it on exactly your application as well. It excels on female vox.
Old 2nd January 2011

the seach button is awesome
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I love it, and have loved it on exactly your application as well. It excels on female vox.
Ditto! Indeed very nice on female vocals

Not so bad on some male vocalists too. I have also used mine on acoustic guitar, mandolin, mono drum OH, mono room mic in omni, front-of-kit, and got great results in all these applications.

Am seriously considering pairing it up, if I can find one cheap enough (after their initial popularity the price for new ones went up and are a bit over-priced now IMO). If you can find one for under $600 it's not a bad deal.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

I own one and it's excellent.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
Am seriously considering pairing it up, if I can find one cheap enough (after their initial popularity the price for new ones went up and are a bit over-priced now IMO). If you can find one for under $600 it's not a bad deal.
Indeed not quite the "stonking bargain" it used to be (I got mine brand new for £299) but still a very good mic at any price...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

M Audio Sputnik?

It's a fantastic sounding microphone for what I paid.. But two of my three have crapped out. One power supply, the other the mic itself. No love from M-Audio either. Nice mic, but I'd rather have a used C414 for the price of a new Sputnik.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Look on Youtube for M-Audio Sputnik, you'll find some good recordings. It's not .wav, but it gives you an idea.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

...if you're impressed with the Sputnik, you may want to consider another more cost-effective options...I addressed the similarities and differences with another affordable option here not long ago:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6119427-post22.html

...just a word of advice...whenever you purchase a "tube" condenser microphone, you may want to consider whether the mic has a socket-mounted tube, or as in the case of the Sputnik, a "fixed" or solder-mounted tube...it has been well documented here on GS, that the benefits of swapping stock tubes with NOS vintage valves can enhance and greatly improve the sonic character of such microphones, not to mention, the inevitable need to replace the original stock tube at some point...a mic with a "socketed" tube circuit allows even the most novice recordist to replace or experiment (swap) with premium tubes to possibly improve a particular microphone's performance...
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

I recently recorded a friend of mine using the sputnik on Vocals, It turned out pretty good given the equipment I have.
Attached Files

sputnik.mp3 (8.84 MB, 259 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search