The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic preamp for guitars...Again..Sorry Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Mic preamp for guitars...Again..Sorry

Hi, sorry for doing this again, but I need some advice (yes I've searched through the forums several times).

I need two channels for electric guitars for a low end studio. Everything ells is there, but I need a suggestion for the electric guitars. The mics are a dynamic (PR30 or e906) and a ribbon (r2. GA's version of the fathead).

Should I get a BLA Auteur, a Sontronics Sonora or two Gap 73's? I would like a dark but defiend sound. Full but not bright.

Kind regards.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

If your not gonna drop big bucks just go for the Maudio DP3.Gap73 poor build,lead paint and noisy components.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The sound is mostly going to be in the hands of the player, the guitar, the amp, the room, the mic, and mic placement.

A good preamp is a good preamp on any source. "Good" preamps are abundant these days; truly "bad" preamps, the ones that will create obstacles between you and your musical goals, are extremely rare.

Don't agonize, just make music.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhama View Post
I need two channels for electric guitars for a low end studio. Everything ells is there, but I need a suggestion for the electric guitars. The mics are a dynamic (PR30 or e906) and a ribbon (r2. GA's version of the fathead).

Should I get a BLA Auteur, a Sontronics Sonora or two Gap 73's? I would like a dark but defiend sound. Full but not bright.
I think you're over-thinking this. After actual sound, the differences you're talking about would be mostly accounted for through mic selection and placement. It's true that different preamps have different eq profiles, but those differences are slight in comparison to, say, moving your mic 1/4" to the left or right. I agree with Chrisc_o here. Pick one and make music.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I sure wouldn't worry about it much. Get the sound from the amp, stick a mic in front of it and capture it as accurately as possible.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Like others said, start at the source. You wont get a dark defined sound from a strat going into a twin reverb. I was in the same boat. I got started playing LP's into a VOX and now it doesnt matter what mic preamp I play thought, it sounds good even with the onboard pres on my interface.

So, buy a DMP3, it's cheap, two channels, clean and accurate. Then go hunting for your tone before you hunt for a preamp.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
converter is a big factor too
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Not really.

It is a factor, as much as the humidity level in the air is a factor in affecting the overall tone of the recorded track, at least as far as being in Low End Theory is concerned.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Do yourself a favor and don't use the Gap on guitars..

If your budget is too tight for the 512c+Gama combo (which is crazy good for guitars..)
you'd be better off with a pair of VTB1 than the one you listed,
they are also very good sounding with ribbons also due to the perfect matching 200 ohm impedance switch on the back

Quote:
oh please...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

AEA TRP for ribbons. ( I would get Beyer M160)
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
So what converter are you recommending that is "dark but defined, full, but not bright"? I'm curious how often an engineer swaps out a converter to change a guitar tone. My guess is not all that often.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

yeah, i think you're picking gnat sh*t out of pepper.

maybe get one with the most gain, or variable/higher input impedance (for your ribbon) but beyond that it's all about mic placement, amp tone, and the player. And the song!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with other posters here... I wouldn't stress too much about the pre.. any decent one will do the job, and certainly the ones you listed would fit the bill.

Personally I like the BLA Auteur, though picking up an RNP would be a good investment too. Either would likely still be in your rack years down the road, even after you move on to the "high end" stuff.

At any rate, as others have noted... your playing style, guitar/amp settings, mic choices and placement, all have WAY more impact on the sounds you will get than ANY mic pre
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmussen View Post
yeah, i think you're picking gnat sh*t out of pepper.
Classic. I'm gonna hafta use this one!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I love the GAP73 on guitars, on heavy distortion tones the GAP73 doesnt make the biggest difference to me, but on clean- dirty blues tones, I love that added body I get from the GAP73.

Dont expect the preamp to do the majority of tonal work. It definitely can make a difference, but the biggest difference will be everything before the preamp. Roll down the tone knob on your guitar, change some settings on the amp, experiment with mic position, and once all that is good you dont need to worry so much about what preamp it goes through.

All the pres mentioned on here are great and wont become a crutch. "Oh, it doesnt sound great because I had to track through a FMR RNC..." Yeah right.

So, just do what I did, take the plunge on one pre and pick up another a little latter. haha. I grabbed the GAP73 to add a little color to what im throwing through it, and a dmp3 for my WYHIWYG clean pre.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I'd go with the FMR RNP. Good on guitar amps. One of the best on acoustic guitars.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Not really.

It is a factor, as much as the humidity level in the air is a factor in affecting the overall tone of the recorded track, at least as far as being in Low End Theory is concerned.
without a good converter or tape machine..... mic pre, room are all just as pointless? why bother recording at all unless everything is on the same level?

I suppose if you make demos to play for your buddies, none of it really matters so just buy anything and just make good music
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Mic preamp for guitars...Again..Sorry

Experiment, Experiment, Experiment.

Don't get a good tone from a standing listening point (unless you have a full stack)

Neal down in front of the amp and than adjust your EQ. Your pre won't make the difference time, and skill acquired through time and experimentation will. Get a GAP73 if you're really set on getting a pre. And the converter thing is bullsh*t. Unless you're willing to drop 5000$(which I would love to because of gearslutz)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBouvrie View Post
Experiment, Experiment, Experiment.

Don't get a good tone from a standing listening point (unless you have a full stack)

Neal down in front of the amp and than adjust your EQ. Your pre won't make the difference time, and skill acquired through time and experimentation will. Get a GAP73 if you're really set on getting a pre. And the converter thing is bullsh*t. Unless you're willing to drop 5000$(which I would love to because of gearslutz)

Good point, a lot of players set there tone inches from their amp, standing, so their ears are a few feet above their speakers. Step back a few feet and get your ear level with your speakers and now listen. Theres been times when this tone is like an ice pick stabbing your ears.

Now have that tone up on stage, the audience is a few feet, most likely because of the stage height, the audiences ears are close to speaker level. Those poor ears...

Very true for recording, your mic will be picking up something you arent aware of. But I dont think you should change the amps tone so much that you also change the way the amp reacts to your playing, which can really mess up a player and how everything feels. Mic placement will help, moving it an inch over can make a HUGE tonal difference, angle it 45 degrees and that can make a HUGE difference. Mess around and youl find the right tone, dont rush this part, or any mic placement.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
without a good converter or tape machine..... mic pre, room are all just as pointless? why bother recording at all unless everything is on the same level?
You should put this in your sig. :-) It might help in understanding your take on optimal cart/horse orientation.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course it's important, but converters capable of producing excellent results are getting close to the "dime a dozen" category. Chances are the OP has good converters already.

Quote:
I suppose if you make demos to play for your buddies, none of it really matters so just buy anything and just make good music
"Making good music" is the only important thing my friend, regardless of the intended purpose of the recording. Don't tell me you really needed reminding...

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, we're in Low End Theory here. What brilliant, music-changing converters are you alluding to that would qualify as "low-end"?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search