The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboard EQ in this day and age... Equalisers (HW)
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Outboard EQ in this day and age...

Okay, have been working on largely electronic music outside the box for the first time in a while, and have been looking for a quality parametric eq on the cheaps... up to around $300. Not looking for a mastering eq just something for creative sculpting.

Following the advice from the last month's searching on GS and elsewhere, I've concluded that the standard recommendations for lowend eq no longer hold. Either they are extremely rare, or the price has risen to less than bargain prices.

Units such as the dbx 242 are highly recommended, but I'll be damned if I can find one single one in all the United States. The cheap Orban 622b is no longer cheap...

So, like, where's all the eq at?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty fond of the tone knobs on the Yamaha PM700. I don't know how much they go for, but I think it's pretty cheap. It has an amplifier on the front end, which is going to color the signal - but you can also drive it a little too.

The Waves LinEQ is great - but it's not analog, and it will chomp into your cpu.
Old 2nd January 2011
I'd like an answer to this question myself
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Rane makes some pretty decent but reasonably priced EQs... you can often find used ones for cheap on eBay.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, any Rane models in particular that I (we )should focus on?
Old 2nd January 2011

you can get better eq plugins for $300 then you can hardware a $300 eq is proably going to have a high noise floor and be limited where a plug in bundle won't be also theres the round trip d/a a/d and the fact you have to compesate latency and have to print to disk if you want to use it on more tracks
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thats all well and good, and I appreciate that advice, I have myself saying that to myself, constantly... but I'm developing a profound affection for making music with the computer OFF.

What my workflow is beginning to look like is various sound sources, voice, bass guitar, samplers, synths, turntables coming into a sampling keyboard, where sounds are tweaked and are sequenced to an extent, and then usually shuttled back out to other samplers or synths for further cutting, rearranging, mangling and then back into the comp for mixing and further arranging. I'd like to have the ability to do shaping in between devices before this stuff hits the box.

FWIW
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Thanks, any Rane models in particular that I (we )should focus on?
I would be looking for a used PE 15 or PE 17. I see these are now discontinued... but can often be found on eBay.

In fact... there is currently an auction for a PE 17 on eBay right now
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Am I looking for trouble trying to work with two mono eq's to handle stereo sources?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I looking for trouble trying to work with two mono eq's to handle stereo sources?
Not at all. In fact stereo EQ or compressors are usually made of two identical mono modules. This is also why they are usually advertised as "dual channel" and not "stereo". But I'm going to venture to guess that the majority of the people purchase these to use on a stereo source rather than 2 separate mono sources.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Arrow

To the OP:

try finding some used Rane PE15 - pretty decent.

Even better quality, find a Klark Teknik DN405 mono or DN410 stereo eq.

Or, on a dirtier/more flavoured/lo-fi side, find a Tascam PE40 (but check out for pot crackling).

The not very flexible nor totally and really "parametric" half rack ART TubeEq or the twin, whole rack Dual TubeEq could do things sounding quite beyond its' budget, if I remember correctly.

All of the above now discontinued - to be looked for in used gear.

And, on a budget, don't forget the (new, modern stuff) little Presonus EQ3B.

All fit into the rather inexpensive & great deal category...

Happy searching,

A
F
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

TLA's EQ-2 is a lovely-sounding EQ for not much money, if you shop around.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
TLA's EQ-2 is a lovely-sounding EQ for not much money, if you shop around.

Absolutely right & true!
thumbsup
And that gets U already well ou of the "lowend eq" territory and into somewhere a lot nicer alltogether, in my opinion & experience.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

TLA stuff seems quite a bit more rare in the US. Very rarely see used TLA wares.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I went on this search awhile ago, but came up empty handed. It would seem that most "low end" gear focus is on compressors, and EQ is left by the wayside unless you grab a mixer with onboard EQ's. Maybe FMR has something cool in the works that will be the PBC 6A of EQ's.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Just picked up an Orban 622b. We'll see how it sounds.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just picked up an Orban 622b. We'll see how it sounds.
Nice!!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The Orban 622 is a great piece if you can find one for a fair price. Over the last year they ranged from $175-350+ on ebay. Another decent stereo parametric for low $ is the Ashly SC-66 for around $200.

Mike
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

i had a behringer t1951 and followed this guy's instructions...
SUPER BEHRINGER TUBE EQ SECRET WEAPON MOD - SkratchLounge
it sounded pretty good after changing the transformers, resistors, tubes, and caps, wasn't good enough for mastering, but i think it's what u r looking for...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Was looking at one of those for $75 bucks. Lost it by a dollar in an ebay auction. Might have to do a fair amount of work on the orban. I get the impression it is totally stock.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrippe View Post
The Orban 622 is a great piece if you can find one for a fair price. Over the last year they ranged from $175-350+ on ebay. Another decent stereo parametric for low $ is the Ashly SC-66 for around $200.

Mike
Paid on the high end of that, and I'm concerned the unit isn't in the greatest shape.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search