The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rokits Studio Monitors
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

KRK Rokits

Looks like just recently iv been hearing a lot of bad about the Rokits which is the total opposite to what i thought as i almost bought a set of rokit 8 g2's.

Iv recently heard that they are the most overhyped monitors etc etc. but i do tend to see them on a lot of studio photos...

i have listened to a set of em in my mates room and i thought they was a bit crap and struggled to listen to anything on them, but i thought this may be down to his listening room. I havent listened to how well they translate etc

So is it worth buying a pair or should i save some money and get something else?
Old 1st January 2011

use your ears
Old 1st January 2011
I hear they are hi-fi-ish, and not as true as some would like. The only time i have heard them is in the shop and couldn't tell them from the others i was hearing (5" jbl, some strange little dual woofer 4" thingy)

I am hearing great things about the yamaha hs80, thought about them?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
use your ears
One of the issues faced by relatively inexperienced folks is that although they recognize that their ears may not be trustworthy, they need to purchase equipment and want to avoid mistakes. I think it is understandable that they come to GS to search for information and seek advice.
Old 2nd January 2011

if he already thought they sucked in a room what makes him think it will sound ok in his hes made up his mind im telling him to trust his ears

all krk monitors suck even my sweetwaters sales rep said that
hes like friends dont let friends by krk

and if you want to disagree thats fine

shoot your room and show me a graph where your room is flat + - 10- 15db from 50hz to 20khz
and ill let you have an opinion
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
if he already thought they sucked in a room what makes him think it will sound ok in his hes made up his mind im telling him to trust his ears

shoot your room and show me a graph where your room is flat + - 10- 15db from 50hz to 20khz
What would your friend at sweetwater recommend?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

I have a pair of RP-6's on a treated room and I think that they are very nice and translates really well.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of Rokit 8's and a KRK sub. I think they are great monitors. They are very clear and Hi-fi-ish as one poster said. They have extreme detail and hard to make things sound thick on them because of that detail. I mix mostly on 6" Events but the Rokits are a great reference. Turned up to a nice volume, sitting in between them and closing your eyes, they can make you feel in the mix. And I like that.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcadiablo View Post
I have a pair of RP-6's on a treated room and I think that they are very nice and translates really well.
Quote:
Turned up to a nice volume, sitting in between them and closing your eyes, they can make you feel in the mix. And I like that.
+1 to both.
Old 2nd January 2011
KRK and Low-end Theory

I've got a pair of KRK Rokit 5 G2 which I purchased as a space savers for a smaller workspace where my Tannoy Reveals would not fit.

Overall, I've been pleased with my Rokits, and especially sorting out any issues in the low-end as they are very "positive" in the low end with the front port. Of course, I have the smallest ones so you have to be conscious of volume, and after a certain point they simply strain. Big surprise. The high end attenuation is nice. Not much else in that price range.

I miss and prefer the sound of my old passive (probably retro) Tannoys overall: they tend to be a bit dark but nice in the midrange, and I would probably prefer them if they were driven by a decent amp.

So, for a low end monitor, they're decent. The small studio workspaces at my work I've generally recommended the Tannoy active series. Looks like on MF there are similar deals with the Tannoys being a hair more expensive.

Good luck.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Every monitor is different, of course, and the Rokits have their strengths and weaknesses. I've got a pair, along with two sets of Tannoys and a Blue Sky Mediadesk. The Rokits seem in their element on fairly hard-rocking material. The main gripe I have with the KRKs is that the shielding seems to be pretty minimal. They definately hiss and hum in response to my computer monitor (the Blue Skys do not), and they totally freak if a cell phone call comes in. Not a huge deal... but it does discourage me from turning them on on a day-to-day basis.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I've heard this ^ countless times, and don't doubt this is true, but my krk's are dead silent and exhibit absolutely 0 signs of interference.

Maybe I just got lucky with my pair?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Iv recently heard that they are the most overhyped monitors etc etc. but i do tend to see them on a lot of studio photos...
No, you see V8s in studio pictures which are somewhat better speakers but do look the same.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
I've heard this ^ countless times, and don't doubt this is true, but my krk's are dead silent and exhibit absolutely 0 signs of interference.

Mine are quiet too. They used to be noisy, but that was back when I was still pretty new to everything and had unbalanced cables connecting them.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

krk's do lack shielding. if u live in a big city like me (philly) u are more likely to experience interference like hearing the radio on them or hearing cb on them...its happend to me
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh my... that is very..um...big of you
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Well it seems they have their place, possibly best suited as more of a reference monitor? Seems i might be better of buying monitors more around the £1000 mark. thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
They definately hiss and hum in response to my computer monitor (the Blue Skys do not), and they totally freak if a cell phone call comes in. Not a huge deal... but it does discourage me from turning them on on a day-to-day basis.
Quote:

Simple fix - ground lift the power supply. Two-prong-to-three-prong adapter.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

i have a pair of the older passive rokits, the trapezoidal ones with black mylar cones. i've been using them for about a year or so. they don't sound awesome, but i've come to understand them lately; if any instrument or frequency sounds even a little bit too loud in them, it will be exaggerated on other monitors. they are good at revealing things like that. like "alfalfa hairs" in the music. they are silent right now about eight inches on either side of the computer monitor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search