The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Needing Advice
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Needing Advice

Hi,
I am recording a track on my home studio using Cubase LE4. I have a friend on the other side of the world who is going to lay down a bass track...so, I have recorded the drums already and some scratch guitar tracks and since I've never done it before, needing advice I how to do this, how do I save my drums/guitars track as WAVs so they can opened up on my friends DAW. Do I send drums as one WAV, guitars as WAV etc or do I send them as one track? Advice much appreciated.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Most DAWs its the Export function.......select track, export to a folder. I would not mix them or bounce to a single file.
Then the person getting it can adjust levels to what suits them to do tracking. Then all he needs to send back is the track he did

Then all that has to be done is open a new project and import them into any DAW
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

mp3 via email

I have been doing this for sometime now...In example I sent music to a singer in the UK...it was just the music from begining to end exactly laid out as in my daw. She uploaded the music into her daw, she recorded voice parts, then she sent me high quality mp3's via email of the vocal tracks from begining to end exaclty as I sent them. so no nudging or time matching was required. sounded so awesome.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Agreed.... send as MP3 to keep files smaller and have your friend send back a Wav at same resolution as your project.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Yeh, generally the person who's doing the final mix is the only person who should NEED the high quality files, if i were doing this i'd do the same, send an mp3 of the rough mix, get them to track in time with that and send over just their high quality wave file when they're done...generally works pretty well this way...
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the wonderful advice so far, much appreciated. I just tried this out, so brought up a project and saved it (its extension is a cpr file since it was made in Cubase) but its saved as a WAV, is this correct? So that means because its a WAV and even though its a cpr it can open in any DAW? Also I noticed when I went to save it thru export/mixdown it asks for bit like 16 bit etc. I saved it as 32 bit, is this correct and is this an important element to consider when doing this type of thing?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
No, you don't want to save it as 32-bit. Either save it as a .wav file in the same bitrate/samplerate that you recorded in, or bounce it to mp3.

Not sure if LE4 has an mp3 option. If not, just open it in itunes and make an mp3 of the wav files there.

In Cubase:
File -> Export Audio -> (whatever bitrate/samplerate) or (Mp3 and select bitrate)
Make sure you save them to a folder you can easily find and label them appropriately. Also, if you want separate tracks, make sure the track you want to render is solo-ed before exporting.

If you don't want to use email and want to keep it as a wav file, then use yousendit.com. There you can upload the files and the recipient can download it on their end. Once he's done, he can upload there and send it to you right back.

As far as having separate guit/drum files or one single file, that's up to you. He may want separate files so he can lower the guit volume while recording bass.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Blacklion: thank you for the advice. Pardon my ignorance, I am just getting used to all of this Cubase/home recording stuff, so please bear with me, but how do I know what Bit rate I have recorded my track in???

Also I noticed you know about Cubase? I've been trying to get onto the Cubase forum for days with no avail, they've moved to Steinberg site and even though I'm a registered member I can't seem to access or post a topic on the forum! Maybe you can help me, with a Cubase query. I want to know how do I het rid of the "splice" or "edit" points in my track? These are the blue lines you seen on the track that are made and left behind after any edit/splices...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Use the "Glue" function, There is a goofy looking icon on your tool bar (I think next to the scisors) that changes the function of yout pointer just like the "Cut" function. When you highlight the edited section and click on it with the "glue" function, it locks in your changes and makes a seamless track. Just be sure and do any cross fades before hand, I don't think you can do them after the edits have been glued together. Gluing is an "undoable" function, so if you glue something accidentally you can go back by clicking edit and then clicking an "undo".
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Thanks Nigel, this has been a great help, and so has everybody else here, I really appreciate it. all the advice has helped so much. Final question, with the gluing part, there are a couple of sections in my tracks that I had to cut and paste and some sections overlap each. What I want to know is, once I have glued the two sections together that overlap, will the section beneath (the original part) with it overlapped on top, will that be delete or erased from the event/track when the glue makes it one seamless track?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The highlighted section will be the "section on top", including any cross fades done prior to the gluing. It is easy to get twisted around in complex edits with multiple overlapping edit points. Just keep track of what you have and use that undo when it doesn't work out right.

I had a song once with a lot of edit points in the guitar track, and one section would play if you started anywhere after the bridge of the song, but not if you started before the bridge. If you exported the mixdown and burned a CD, the section was also missing. Very frustrating because it should have been right according to the display. The really weird part was that when I exported the entire Cubase LE file to Cubase 4 after upgrading the software it worked perfectly... I never will understand that one. I have since taken extra pains to minimize the number of edit points and try to glue things down as soon as they are right instead of waiting till I have 10 overlapping edit points and trying to do them all at once.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search