The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ad/da converters on low-end soundcards Audio Interfaces
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

ad/da converters on low-end soundcards

Hi,

I read somewhere that AD/DA converters are pretty good nowadays, even on relatively cheap cards like mine, and upgrading the soundcard/converters won't be too noticable...

What do u think about that?

I have Emu 0404 pci, and I'm pretty happy with its sound. Lately I thought to uprgade my card to RME 9632 or cards of this level, but I don't want just to waste money...

if it matters - I record guitar,bass and vocals thru a mixer (or thru a decent preamp (pre73) in the near future)

Thanks
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

0404 have decent converters, with most mixers and even the gap 73, you should hear little if any difference...enjoy your emu
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLurex View Post
Hi,

I read somewhere that AD/DA converters are pretty good nowadays, even on relatively cheap cards like mine, and upgrading the soundcard/converters won't be too noticable...

What do u think about that?

I have Emu 0404 pci, and I'm pretty happy with its sound. Lately I thought to uprgade my card to RME 9632 or cards of this level, but I don't want just to waste money...

if it matters - I record guitar,bass and vocals thru a mixer (or thru a decent preamp (pre73) in the near future)

Thanks
I use the Emu 1820m and it sounds pretty decent for the money ( $80)..You may get an improvement ( or not) with the RME but for more expense of course..Good luck.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
I use the Emu 1820m and it sounds pretty decent for the money ( $80)..You may get an improvement ( or not) with the RME but for more expense of course..Good luck.

. . .
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

emu is good enough imo

built in sound chip on laptop computer, not so much
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know if "wasting money" is how I would describe the move up from something like the E-Mu you have. Maybe the way to think about it is: how much would you pay for a step up, and for that money, how much of an improvement would you get, and where do you personally draw the line on how much you are willing to pay for incremental improvement?

I used to use E-Mu products at home. I still use the same soundcard you are using, but on a church computer for recording services. It is a good card, and it does a fine job. At home (for more serious recording), I use a Lynx Two. I think the Lynx Two does a better job of ADDA conversion. It costs 8 times what your E-Mu card costs. I don't think I get 8 times better conversion out of it. I'm willing to pay for the better conversion. But, that's me and my priorities.

What other things do you need for your recording setup? Maybe the conversion can wait. The E-Mu gets the job done for now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search