The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA LA610 and Saffire 56 preamps DAW Software
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

UA LA610 and Saffire 56 preamps

I'm at a point where I would like to add some flavor to my recordings. I really like the 610 emulation from the liquid pre section of my interface and have decided I would like the full channel strip. The issue is that I don't believe it's possible to bypass the pres on this thing so is there a device I could link to the saffire to give me more analogue inputs to run preamps without being colored by the saffire pres?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

You could get a ProFire 2626 and run it in standalone mode. If you use any of the 8 analog TRS inputs, you'll bypass the pre's and go straight into the converter. This will then digitally go to the Saffire which can remain as your main driver.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
I think I would talk to someone at Focusrite. It does have TRS line ins. maybe a poss that the circuit for the pre is bypassed when using line in. In that quality of a unit you would think since they designed it with line ins for the purpose of using outboard pre's that they may have a recommendation or setting to use to least effect a line input (like the Flat eBAL setting on ch 3-8)

I see it has 610 emulation but the real thing gets you options of how much pre gain/saturation and level control. So you can make it very clean (sounded cleaner than my motu pre at lower gain. I was pleasantly surprised and glad I invested in the 610......a lot more choice of tones. Great for bass guitar also.
Attached Thumbnails
UA LA610 and Saffire 56 preamps-saffire-56.jpg  
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
I think I would talk to someone at Focusrite. It does have TRS line ins. maybe a poss that the circuit for the pre is bypassed when using line in. In that quality of a unit you would think since they designed it with line ins for the purpose of using outboard pre's that they may have a recommendation or setting to use to least effect a line input (like the Flat eBAL setting on ch 3-8)

I see it has 610 emulation but the real thing gets you options of how much pre gain/saturation and level control. So you can make it very clean (sounded cleaner than my motu pre at lower gain. I was pleasantly surprised and glad I invested in the 610......a lot more choice of tones. Great for bass guitar also.
I'll try emailing them about this. The image you attached referring to line bypassing the pre is merely the liquid pre. I would still be going through the focusrite pre. This is my only complaint with the device so far.

Happy new years gs.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
Line Inputs (Inputs 1-8)
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
• Gain Range: -10dB to +36dB
• THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Since it states a GAIN RANGE on the line input it looks like it is indeed going thru a pre amp. The 1/4 line ins prob have a built in pad........

That would be my beef no discrete line ins (doing the pad thing costs them less)

You can still use outboard pre's just have to turn the onboards all the way down. I'm with you, I would want a separate line in.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
You could get a ProFire 2626 and run it in standalone mode. If you use any of the 8 analog TRS inputs, you'll bypass the pre's and go straight into the converter. This will then digitally go to the Saffire which can remain as your main driver.
Why spend all the money on a Pro Tools interface with average pre-amps and converters, to use it simply for it's ADA? That makes no sense whatsoever.

The Behringer ADA800 offers very good ADA conversion if you're only using the line ins and outs. It would be a great way to offer you an extra 8 I/O for about a third of the price of the Profire 2626.

The Profire makes for a good interface but you would have to be insane to shell out the money for a Pro Tools interface if you only want the conversion, there are plenty of good converter options available.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search