The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First Post not sure this is the place Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

First Post not sure this is the place

Hi Folks,

This is my first post. I am new to recording. I play guitar, keyboards, bass. Wish I played drums! Here is the gear I have so far and I want to use for my own amusement and amazement. Sonar 8.5, ADAM-A7 monitors, M-Audio profire2626, SM57,58,beta 87, low end Tube mike Sterling ST69. Looking for a tube pre but do not know what to buy. I just jumped in and got some stuff without any advice. MIDI is giving me the most trouble, stuck notes ect.
The question I have is can I make descent recordings with this equipment and can anyone recommend a pre around $1000.00? Also is any of this gear something I should just dump from the start?

Last edited by Billy Simmons; 31st December 2010 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Your gear is more than good enough. Start recording before even thinking of spending another dime.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Your gear is more than good enough. Start recording before even thinking of spending another dime.
Agreed. What makes you think you need to spend $1,000 on a tube pre?
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks guys for the feedback. The $1000. was just a "number" I have no clear idea about the pre. The recording I have made to date are ok I guess. As I record more I am finding ways to make it better, not the least of which is better playing. One thing that got my attention is how well it records my scew ups!!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

So it's really not the fault of the equipment. You said you are new to recording, which means you still have some ways to go in terms of learning your equipment, proper techniques and FX processing. The stuff you have right now is more than enough to produce professional-sounding tracks (as Chrisc_o pointed out above).
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Its a slippery slope being a gear slut. We should all use the crap out of what we have (until we know it inside out like the back of our hands etc.)

and knowing every single different type of sound we can squeeze out of these strings and boxes and gadgets will actually save alot of money

This is a fine place for your post. These guys want to know what you think you are LACKING in your sound so they can help out better
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

wellcome the forum man!thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
...These guys want to know what you think you are LACKING in your sound so they can help out better
No, we're seriously trying to be jerks.

Welcome aboard! thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

billy, whats your acoustic treatment looking like. a common newbie mistake is to buy a bunch of gear and wonder why they still sound crappy, when it's in fact their environment.

take that $1000 and build your own DIY bass traps and absorber panels. $1000 is a lot of fiberglass, fabric, and 2x4's. And it will be the best investment in your studio yet.
Old 1st January 2011

tube mic into tube pre doesnt always work well espically a low end tube mic you would be better off matching it with a solid state pre with transformers like a gap73
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I’m an old guy (1956 Chevy analog push button radio world) trying to find my way in a computerized digital world that is certainly not intuitive to me! I do not have a nine-year-old kid to show me the way! VCR is still flashing 12:00! Thanks for the welcome! I have spent time in pro studios recording with many musicians.

The home recording thing was set up for the purpose of writing new music and getting it to the point I could take the idea to a pro studio and record. Also to be able to send the ideas to others I am working with who live in other parts of the world.

I guess if I had to change anything perhaps I would go to Pro Tools just because most of the people I am working with here in the Dallas Fort Worth area are using that software. I hear people say both good and not so good about Sonar Producer 8.5 which is what I am using now.

I agree that learning to use the tools you have is the best idea. As a commercial pilot I would hate to have tried to learn to fly in a 747. So looks like what I got can teach me to “fly”.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Well, as an actual suggestion to the question, the Art Pro Mpa II is a great tube pre. You can replace the tubes by, let's say, a Telefunken, Mullard or GE Jan, and you'll get alot of options.

You can have it work mostly as a solid state pre without any pad engaged, engage the high plate voltage for something sweeter on vocals, engage the +20dB pad for the tube to really kick in, and change the impedance which can really open up a mic.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
take that $1000 and build your own DIY bass traps and absorber panels. $1000 is a lot of fiberglass, fabric, and 2x4's. And it will be the best investment in your studio yet.
Good idea. I think we're about to do a group buy on exactly that over at Dallas/Ft. Worth Musician Forum and then have sort of "how the #### do we do this?" workshop lol. Lots of folks interested in that kind of thing.

Welcome to GS
Old 4th January 2011
JL.
Gear Nut

If it's just for pre production, why buy anything else? I think your gear is great. As far as DAW's go, stick with what you know the best. If there is stuff about Sonar that bothers you try something else. I use Pro-Tools, but I think like many on here, that Reaper is great and very user friendly if you're just starting.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Lightbulb

Spending that 1,000 on acoustic treatment would not be a bad idea at all! However if you don't know your DAW well enough, you could spend that money on a course to learn pro tools!

With pro tools 9 you will still be able to use your current interface too!

that's just my suggestion.

Andy.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
You'll know when it's time to upgrade.
Old 4th January 2011

^ what they said!

DAW - Sonar is very versatile and has features Pro Tools doesn't

If necessary, just consolidate or bounce all your tracks down and take them to another studio.

-

Tube pres - Electro Harmonix 12AY7
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear
It's time to upgrade when you know without a doubt that a particular sound you want isn't achievable with what you have...and the only way to be sure of this is to learn your gear inside and out like whats been said...play around with it all...like its been said, room treatment will probably be in your best interests compared to anything else...
Old 6th January 2011

OK jimmy - NOW I get you - I had my suspicions heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search