The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
£1000 to upgrade vocal chain! Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Smoother, bigger, and less harsh bring to mind most of the Beesneez mics. I recommend you check them out.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd View Post
Smoother, bigger, and less harsh bring to mind most of the Beesneez mics. I recommend you check them out.
These look absolutely great but the only problem is I can't buy these in the UK.
I would like to be able to try mics out and if one of the Beesneez mics didn't suit, I'd then have to pay for postage back to Australia!
Could become very expensive trying lots mics out outside the UK!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Blue Kiwi @ £1200. Bit over budget, but absolutely fantastic mic.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I understand that the shipping is a big drawback if you think you might need to try a few different mics before finding the one you like. Personally, I took the plunge and ordered a Beesneez Jade and had it shipped to Canada (this was before there were any dealers carrying Beesneez products in North America) and while it was risky, I certainly didn't regret it. The microphone has a beautiful even top end. And the James is really known for its lack of sibilance issues. It is unfortunate that you have to rule out a really good choice (and value for the money) due to possible shipping issues. Good luck with whatever you do decide to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
These look absolutely great but the only problem is I can't buy these in the UK.
I would like to be able to try mics out and if one of the Beesneez mics didn't suit, I'd then have to pay for postage back to Australia!
Could become very expensive trying lots mics out outside the UK!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've got an opportunity to get an SPL Channel One for £400 secondhand which seems to be an excellent price as they cost around £1000 new.
I'm thinking I may get it and perhaps sell my Eureka if I prefer it?
This preamp can have the in/out transformers upgraded to Lundahl's which is meant to make the preamp sound bigger and beefier!?

What are your thoughts on this?

Any other suggestions?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I've got an opportunity to get an SPL Channel One for £400 secondhand which seems to be an excellent price as they cost around £1000 new.
I'm thinking I may get it and perhaps sell my Eureka if I prefer it?
This preamp can have the in/out transformers upgraded to Lundahl's which is meant to make the preamp sound bigger and beefier!?

What are your thoughts on this?

Any other suggestions?
Thinking you're fecking about. Keep your ISA and get a good mic. Done.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think I've decided to stick with my current pres and concentrate on the mic.

My shortlist is :-

Peluso 2247
Brauner Phantom
SE Gemini mkIII

What are your thoughts on this? Which of these mics would offer the thickest, smoothest, non harsh tone with the least sibilance?
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Peluso 2247
Brauner Phantom
SE Gemini mkIII

What are your thoughts on this? Which of these mics would offer the thickest, smoothest, non harsh tone with the least sibilance?
Thick, smooth, blue, red, yellow.....one man's smooth is another's....and so on. Still a rather edgy list to me, considering the qualities desired. My money's still on the 90's Groove tubes MD1. heh
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:

Peluso 2247
Brauner Phantom
SE Gemini mkIII

it varies on source, go and demo them all and see for yourself what sounds best for the source you intend to be working with.

try to bring your pre's along as well if the store does not have them in order to demo each mic on each of your pre's.

i would also recommend you give the new se ribbon mic range a try and fi you can stretch that bit more the RNR,

but make sure you try the above with your current selection of pre's.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

I may have to lower my budget somewhat and am now also considering these options :-

1/ Stellar CM-6

2/ Advanced Audio CM-47

3/ Getting either my Oktava MK-319, Rode NT-1a or MXL v67g modded?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

I demoed the Peluso 2247, Brauner Phantom, Gefell M930, Audio Technica 4047 and a Studio Projects CS-1.

So far I think my favorite is the 4047! Seemed to fit the vocalist the best. I used a little compression, reverb and a little de-essing on a couple of words.

I'm still a little interested in the Stellar CM-6 (+any future releases), Advanced Audio CM-47 or a JJ Audio mod for my MXL v67g.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear
When I record very bright harsh girls I reach for my Blue bottle rocket stage 2 with the b6 capsule. In fact that is the only use I have for the mic as a whole. It
seems to really counteract against the nasty bright frequencies.

I see someone recommended the blue kiwi, it has the b6 cap. It might do a similar job.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

The Studio Projects CS1 was actually great at taming down high frequency harshness but was actually too dull!

I found the Peluso to be a little brighter than the CS1.

Both the Brauner Phantom and Gefell M930 were both very excellent but sounded thinner than the AT4047.

The 4047 is the closest I've come to the perfect mic with the vocalist I record but it had a little siblance on a couple of words. This is minor and easily sorted with a de-esser. This may be due to the 2 micron capsule the 4047 uses but may even be sorted by moving the mic a little!?
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Ok here's a clip of a track I did with the AT 4047 through the Presonus Eureka.

As you can hear the vocal is a little sibilant but all I've done is add a little compression and reverb.

What are your thoughts on the vocal recording? (not performance)

Thanks
Attached Files
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

I really like it mate. It's bright and clear and not really over the top harsh like a lot of vocal mics. Maybe i'd like to hear a little more warmth to the overall sound of the track, but thats more a mixing thing, and thats me being really critical.

I think in context it works really quite well, and is a great mic choice. Its a very nice microphone, and something you'll want to keep for a lifetime.

Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree the track is a little thin and bright sounding.

I've also recently picked up a UA Solo 610 preamp which I will try this vocalist on with the AT4047.
I may pick up a better pop filter as the one I was using was a a basic KMR fabric pop filter. Because of the amount of air that this singer produces I may get something like the new JZ Pop Filter?

JZ Microphones JZ - Products

My main question is does this mic suit this vocalist??

Here is another clip where she is belting it out :-
Attached Files
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Any more thoughts and advice on the vocal recording?

How do you think the vocal sounds?

Do you think the AT4047 + Eureka is working well?
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

I didnt think the last track worked as well (in context) as the one above it. The previous one had more of a full bodied sound, bit more presence in the lower mids, and generally a more intermate and upfront vocal, which suited it well.

The latest track seems to have thinned out her vocal somewhat. I'm not sure if maybe too much high pass filtering is going on, or just needs a bit of EQ to make more of an emphasis on the lower frequencies on her voice. I also would like to know how much of a difference bringing the vocal out in the mix would make, as she does have a great voice, and maybe pushing it forward may actually make the vocal seem 'rounder'?

I think microphone choice is very much dependant on the sound of the track, and the feel youre trying to achieve with the vocals. I know a lot of people argue that microphone choice is entirely dependant upon the vocalist, and whilst thats true, i think the other half is all dependant on the properties of the track.

Also, have you tried running the vocal through the UA pre-amp, and getting some nice lower mid harmonic distortion? Paired with a nice compressor, i would have thought you could achieve a pretty beautiful vocal sound.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
I didnt think the last track worked as well (in context) as the one above it. The previous one had more of a full bodied sound, bit more presence in the lower mids, and generally a more intermate and upfront vocal, which suited it well.

The latest track seems to have thinned out her vocal somewhat. I'm not sure if maybe too much high pass filtering is going on, or just needs a bit of EQ to make more of an emphasis on the lower frequencies on her voice. I also would like to know how much of a difference bringing the vocal out in the mix would make, as she does have a great voice, and maybe pushing it forward may actually make the vocal seem 'rounder'?

I think microphone choice is very much dependant on the sound of the track, and the feel youre trying to achieve with the vocals. I know a lot of people argue that microphone choice is entirely dependant upon the vocalist, and whilst thats true, i think the other half is all dependant on the properties of the track.

Also, have you tried running the vocal through the UA pre-amp, and getting some nice lower mid harmonic distortion? Paired with a nice compressor, i would have thought you could achieve a pretty beautiful vocal sound.
Thanks for the reply. Not I haven't tried the AT4047 through the UA Solo 610 yet. I will definitely try this on the next session!
I may also try running the Solo 610 through the compressor on the Eureka.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

I'm looking to try out some other mics and am considering the AKG C214, Neumann TLM 102 Shure KSM 32/44 and Stellar CM6.

I'm also tempted to invest in an outboard compressor such as the FMR RNC or FMR PCB-6a? I'm going to try the ISA One and UA Solo 610 through the Eureka's compressor first though.

I would like to try and get my vocal chain as good as possible within my budget as vocals is what I mainly record.
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

As some of you may know, I've spent quite a long time trying this and that mic out looking for some nice vocal mics. These are what I've tried so far :-

Gefell M930
Peluso 2247
Brauner Phantom
AKG C414
Neumann TLM102 (kept)
Audio Technica 4047
Audio Technica 4040 (kept)
SE Electronics SE2200T (kept)
Shure SM7b (probably going to sell)
Blue Bluebird
Golden Age R1mk3 ribbon
Studio Projects CS1
KEL HM2d (kept)
Rode NT-1a
Oktava MK-319 (kept - modded soon)
Heil PR35
Studio Projects B1
MXL v67g

Out of all of these mics, the mics that have impressed me the most are the

Neumann TLM102, Audio Technica AT4040 and KEL HM2D. These are my current go to vocal mics. What's great is I was able to buy all three and they cost me £900!!
Of course the Gefell and Brauner sounded amazing aswell but I simply couldn't justify the extra cost over the TLM102 and AT4040. The KEL is great on really sibilant singers and doesn't have that horrible sizzling top end that a lot of these mics had! Infact I'll probably end up selling my SM7b.
I also liked my Oktava MK319 but it has developed a fault. Because of this I'm going to send it off for repair and a mod at the same time. The other thing I'd quite like to do is add another TLM102 for stereo miking and then call it a day!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search