The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAC-1 to Masterlink? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

DAC-1 to Masterlink?

So I am in the process of building a mix only control room in my house so I can do more work from home. In my current studio, I use the Motu 24 i/o, as well as an Apogee Duet for tracking. I am looking into the Benchmark DAC-1 pre for the new studio, and I'm curious as to whether I should continue mixing, and bouncing ITB, or possibly go through the DAC-1 into something like a Masterlink. Before I started recording with computers, I used the HD24 into a Masterlink, and honestly I found my mixes to be bigger and wider than ITB. Would going from the DAC-1 into a masterlink be a terrible idea, considering the fact that I would be going from amazing DA, into the Masterlink's so-so AD? If using something like the Masterlink is a bad idea, what would be the point of having great DA conversion other than better monitoring?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

BUMP! anyone?
Old 1st January 2011

dac 1 is not a preamp there is no point in doing this as the quality in conversion needs to be on the input as well as the output once in the box stay in the box no matter how great the d/a it will only sound as good as the a/d no matter what

d/a is important when you have good outboard you want to add to your mix for example out of computer through the dac 1 into a stereo buss compressor and back in to print or into masterlink or whatever
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

It wouldn't make sense to me to buy a good D/A just to convert it to analog and then go into a so-so A/D, if that's the kind of response you're looking for.
You need to pinpoint the reasons why your mixes sounded better before. Was it the A/D of the final medium? In all fairness, probably not. There was probably something else affecting your workflow.
Old 1st January 2011

Quote:
You need to pinpoint the reasons why your mixes sounded better before
he used a hd24 have you heard those converters?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I really do miss the converters in the HD24. Just to clarify, I am building this studio for freelance mixing. Meaning, almost everything that I mix will be tracked in other studios, with different A/D conversion than what I have. I plan to upgrade my A/D conversion in the tracking studio, but I am getting more offers for mixing at the moment, so this takes precedence for now. Also in the works, I am planning on a very nice stereo compressor for final mixes. Would it make more sense, ie: sound better, if I were to mix down to a Masterlink, from the DAC-1 pre, or back in through something like the ADC-1? My main concern is overall width of the mix. I am happy with the sound of my mixes, even using the Motu, I just want a wider stereo image, and more depth.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

From our DAW ::: we use a RME ADi2 to a DEQ 2496 ( for comp /eq ) to a Masterlink thumbsup
Old 2nd January 2011

stereo spread plug-in like waves s1
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
stereo spread plug-in like waves s1
I've tried every ITB solution that I have. From Ozone to waves to phase tricks on guitars on one side. I can make it wider with the tools that I have available, but there is still something lacking. This is one situation where I can honestly say I have exhausted my options, and I see a true need for a step up in gear. Just trying to figure out what exactly I need. I'm pretty much a "buy it once and be done with it" kind of guy so I research the crap out of things and ask alot of seemingly stupid questions about all of it
Old 2nd January 2011

master link is digital your daw is digital taking 2 mono outs and going right back in digital wont fix your problem
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
From our DAW ::: we use a RME ADi2 to a DEQ 2496 ( for comp /eq ) to a Masterlink thumbsup
Do you find that your mixes are wider, or better in general when you mix to the masterlink, as opposed to just printing another stereo track through your outboard and back into your DAW?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Summing "out-the-box" might be the solution for you. I'm currently mixing projects in Logic 8 using Apogee DA-16X> Neve 8816> API 2500> Apogee Rosetta 200 > Tascam DV-RA1000HD. It works for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search